Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
You shouldn't go that far and not fly into Bali for a few days.
Tip: skip Bali and go to Pulau Belitung. Less than an hour's flight from CGK, less crowded than Bali but with amazing, stunning beaches. Doesn't have the lush rice fields or Hindu temples though.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vishesh
Yea, looks like it, but looks like it may increase price. I was able to price this example itinerary out as multi-city on ITA with a few day stopover in HKG for just over $1,000. Note that the return is via NRT, not HKG, so no ASIA2 bonus miles. Price may be lower or higher for other dates.
Whoops, tried to post the screen grab earlier but did not come through. Here is an example itinerary with a stopover in HKG that I was able to price out on ITA.

Last edited by vishesh; Aug 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Whoops, sorry, did not know that. Unwritten rule? I will revise accordingly.
@vishesh: It's not an unwritten rule.

See this post in the Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum sticky atop the MR board. You'll find a lot of information there.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: AA PLT / National EC
Question

Usually a lurker, but found this and wanted to share.

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 dates in September/October
I'm interested in doing SFO-DFW-HKG-DFW-SFO on AA. Would like to try the new DFW-HKG route!

Problem is, for your dates (9/17/14 - 9/23/14), I'm not seeing an AA DFW-HKG-DFW itinerary for less than $1600. Strange. I tried lots of dates on ITA Software, and I'm not finding anything at <$920.
Any advice on how to get a deal like this?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by 1337
I'm interested in doing SFO-DFW-HKG-DFW-SFO on AA. Would like to try the new DFW-HKG route!

Problem is, for your dates (9/17/14 - 9/23/14), I'm not seeing an AA DFW-HKG-DFW itinerary for less than $1600. Strange. I tried lots of dates on ITA Software, and I'm not finding anything at <$920.
Any advice on how to get a deal like this?
Ah, totally insane. If I try to book DFW-HKG-DFW on AA.com, they want something like $1600 for the new nonstop route.
But, if I try to book ORD-DFW-HKG-DFW-ORD, then AA's price is $924. Huh?

Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Ah, totally insane. If I try to book DFW-HKG-DFW on AA.com, they want something like $1600 for the new nonstop route.
But, if I try to book ORD-DFW-HKG-DFW-ORD, then AA's price is $924. Huh?

Out of ORD they have to compete with CX. From DFW, they have you
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Out of ORD they have to compete with CX. From DFW, they have you
Hahaha, interesting.

I've noticed that UA is a lot cheaper than AA and CX for flights to HKG. I've mostly looked at SFO-HKG and SEA-HKG, but yeah, UA charges like $700 for SFO-HKG roundtrip, "AA ticket on CX" seems to be $1000 or more.
(Wish I could find a way to get AA miles on a $700 ticket to HKG...)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:48 pm

Hahaha, interesting.

I've noticed that UA is a lot cheaper than AA and CX for flights to HKG. I've mostly looked at SFO-HKG and SEA-HKG, but yeah, UA charges like $700 for SFO-HKG roundtrip, "AA ticket on CX" seems to be $1000 or more.
(Wish I could find a way to get AA miles on a $700 ticket to HKG...)
I booked SEA-LAX/SFO-DFW-HKG & return for 3 trips and 3 other trips adding on HKG-BKK between now and end of April. All but 1 were </~$1k (1 was $1180 IIRC) and only that high due to the extra cost of starting from SEA. All AA codeshares on the AS/CX segments and AA metal for the rest so full 100% EQM on AA. And, thanks to me having been lucky and booked before they tightened down C availability, all but one DFW-HKG leg cleared for Y->J SWU usage at time of booking. 11/12 TPAC 77W legs already upgraded
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
1 hour connection in HKG?

If you don't have your connecting board pass in hand, or if you need to retrieve your checked luggage and recheck it for your connection, then 1hr is definitely not enough, or at least, I personally wouldn't risk it.[/QUOTE]

Fairly new here, not sure how all this works, but this mileage run idea fascinates me...Upon landing in HKG, with carry on - would you still have to go through customs- before connecting to CGK flight?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
You would not go thru customs or immigration but you do go thru security which is quite effiecient. 1 hour is plenty.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I'm so excited-my first mileage run! (yes, I'm a newbie). I just booked AA- ONT-DFW-NRT-CGK and back for $950! Although I may have to make another (shorter) run at the end of the year to keep my EXP- (self employed and biz slowed down this year...)
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by usmsbow
Tip: skip Bali and go to Pulau Belitung. Less than an hour's flight from CGK, less crowded than Bali but with amazing, stunning beaches. Doesn't have the lush rice fields or Hindu temples though.
Any suggested hotel/resort in Belitung? I'm intrigued but can't find anything very highly rated.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by califcajin
I'm so excited-my first mileage run! (yes, I'm a newbie). I just booked AA- ONT-DFW-NRT-CGK and back for $950! Although I may have to make another (shorter) run at the end of the year to keep my EXP- (self employed and biz slowed down this year...)
Doing the same except from LAX. First mileage run as well. I ended up paying $960 instead of $950 and got them to give me a 19 hour layover in Tokyo instead of a 20 hour layover in CGK (I know you can do it with just a 5 hour layover too, but I decided i'd overnight Tokyo and have some fun, never been). Had to call to get those flights, but much more excited about 4pm-1130a in Tokyo than I was about 1am-10pm in CGK.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Doing the same except from LAX. First mileage run as well. I ended up paying $960 instead of $950 and got them to give me a 19 hour layover in Tokyo instead of a 20 hour layover in CGK (I know you can do it with just a 5 hour layover too, but I decided i'd overnight Tokyo and have some fun, never been). Had to call to get those flights, but much more excited about 4pm-1130a in Tokyo than I was about 1am-10pm in CGK.
If you're staying in Tokyo, check out the Westin there. Mirei Ri took great care of me as the concierge when I was there a few years back. Not sure if she's still there, but she was great. Had a big packet of stuff for me to do on my short layover between flights.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mikelat
If you're staying in Tokyo, check out the Westin there. Mirei Ri took great care of me as the concierge when I was there a few years back. Not sure if she's still there, but she was great. Had a big packet of stuff for me to do on my short layover between flights.
Awesome, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.