Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: EWR-IST $638 ai round trip (everything included). [W fare $938 ai]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I did a same day Delta turn mileage run to IST recently. In that case, I could find absolutely no way to get a boarding pass printed for Delta prior to arriving in IST since it was my "destination" not true transit airport. I tried online, I tried at Sky Club, and I even tried at a desk before I had to go through immigration at IST to no avail. I was only able to get my boarding pass by going to the actual Delta desk in IST past immigration.

Moral of the story: You must have your boarding pass for your departing IST flight. If you do, you are golden and I am not as familiar with what you can do on United. If not, no choice but to clear immigration. It was very easy on a Sunday for me and I made a 2 hour turn with no problems.
So, assuming you are a US citizen - you had to pay the US$30 visa fee at the window, then proceed through immigration, then immediately return?

Given that both times I went to IST, I had a visa already, I've never had this issue. However, when I was transiting there, I saw a few open 'transit desks' even at 05h00 that seemed like their sole purpose was to produce boarding passes for folks in transit. They might have been signed TK (I don't really remember), but I do know that there were security folks checking boarding passes (for onward travel) then sending passengers to the departure hall above, otherwise you were sent to the immigration line/visa windows.

-jeremy
Old May 18, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
So, assuming you are a US citizen - you had to pay the US$30 visa fee at the window, then proceed through immigration, then immediately return?

Given that both times I went to IST, I had a visa already, I've never had this issue. However, when I was transiting there, I saw a few open 'transit desks' even at 05h00 that seemed like their sole purpose was to produce boarding passes for folks in transit. They might have been signed TK (I don't really remember), but I do know that there were security folks checking boarding passes (for onward travel) then sending passengers to the departure hall above, otherwise you were sent to the immigration line/visa windows.

-jeremy
Yes, I paid the fee, and went through immigration. I then went to the delta desk and went through immigration again after that.

I know exactly the desks you are speaking about and that is where I tried to get my boarding pass before going through immigration. It was what the security agent who checks boarding passes suggested when I tried to use the transiting walkways to the departure hall. I literally had a lady writing out a boarding pass for me, when her supervisor stepped in and pointed out this is my destination and I am not really "transiting" in the true sense of the word. I had the distinct suspicion he knew exactly what I was us to; heck I admitted it to him! At that point, I just abided and didn't waste time. I was in the departure lounge within 1/2 hour thanks to Elite status. (please note they have ways for you just jump to the head of the departure immigration lines if you have status)
Old May 18, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Yes, I paid the fee, and went through immigration. I then went to the delta desk and went through immigration again after that.

I know exactly the desks you are speaking about and that is where I tried to get my boarding pass before going through immigration. It was what the security agent who checks boarding passes suggested when I tried to use the transiting walkways to the departure hall. I literally had a lady writing out a boarding pass for me, when her supervisor stepped in and pointed out this is my destination and I am not really "transiting" in the true sense of the word. I had the distinct suspicion he knew exactly what I was us to; heck I admitted it to him! At that point, I just abided and didn't waste time. I was in the departure lounge within 1/2 hour thanks to Elite status. (please note they have ways for you just jump to the head of the departure immigration lines if you have status)
Cheers - good to know if I plan on doing a MR to IST anytime soon...I would try to fight the US$30 just on principle alone, but you are right - it's best to not worry about it, clear customs, then reclear and enjoy the lounge

And yes, I remember when waiting in IST for immigration to leave, I had a Comfort Class BP (TK) and I'm a *G, waiting in the normal line...I don't mind at all and I didn't need to rush, but a bunch of other people (Turks) all pointed to their BPs and skipped the queue, but I saw that a lot in the country, so I guess it's 'common' ;-)

-jeremy
Old May 18, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I did a same day Delta turn mileage run to IST recently. In that case, I could find absolutely no way to get a boarding pass printed for Delta prior to arriving in IST since it was my "destination" not true transit airport. I tried online, I tried at Sky Club, and I even tried at a desk before I had to go through immigration at IST to no avail. I was only able to get my boarding pass by going to the actual Delta desk in IST past immigration.

Moral of the story: You must have your boarding pass for your departing IST flight. If you do, you are golden and I am not as familiar with what you can do on United. If not, no choice but to clear immigration. It was very easy on a Sunday for me and I made a 2 hour turn with no problems.
i should be able to get the return BP at the airport (either desk or club) prior to departure. Are you saying that I will be ok?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
i should be able to get the return BP at the airport (either desk or club) prior to departure. Are you saying that I will be ok?
I am saying you will likely have to go through immigration unless you can snag your boarding pass prior to getting to the airport. Once there, your only hope is the desk described that did not help me out. After that, you are SOL.

If you have 2 hours or more and have elite status, you are fine clearing immigration. Just be sure to use your status to jump the line for leaving the country.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have 2 hours or more and have elite status, you are fine clearing immigration. Just be sure to use your status to jump the line for leaving the country.
If you have *A status use the lanes all the way at the left (if facing from the road to the building) and you go through immigration/security right into the lounge.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you have *A status use the lanes all the way at the left (if facing from the road to the building) and you go through immigration/security right into the lounge.
I had the impression is probaby any airline's elite folks who can use those. I got a little piece of paper that indicated I was Skyteam Elite. Like they said, lounges are basically right there, above the cafeteria area. Nice airport.

One other tip, as a Skyteam Elite, I recieved access to the Mellenium Lounge for free, but no showers. But, right across from there, the CIP VIP lounge I do believe has showers. I am going to use my lounge club membership from my Ink Bold to get in there for free on my next run to IST......
Old May 26, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Ticket-By?

Is there a ticket-by date for the IST W fare? I read through the ticket rules and didn't see any purchase-by date.

The routing rules from SEA are very generous, and allow a couple of intermediate connections in Europe - where you can do a 23-hour stopover for free, or a real stopover in each direction for $100 each.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by seacarl
Is there a ticket-by date for the IST W fare? I read through the ticket rules and didn't see any purchase-by date.

The routing rules from SEA are very generous, and allow a couple of intermediate connections in Europe - where you can do a 23-hour stopover for free, or a real stopover in each direction for $100 each.
Looks like through Oct good at the 938. In Nov it jumps to 1018 where it stays through EOS. Not a bad route to do if you, especially if you can confirm the GPU.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had the impression is probaby any airline's elite folks who can use those. I got a little piece of paper that indicated I was Skyteam Elite. Like they said, lounges are basically right there, above the cafeteria area. Nice airport.
The cafeteria and other lounges are at the opposite end of the terminal from the TK elite check-in/premium security/immigration line and lounge entrance area.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: * A
There is a newer fare which just loaded today.. 200+
Old May 30, 2012, 8:53 pm

Darn. Bought a ticket last week. Should have waited.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by sushanna1
Sorry to hear that! Hope it is not too big of a lost.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: JB AA UA HHgold ICplat MRplat UR
Originally Posted by sushanna1

Call UA they might give you a refund.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by FreeBird2k
Call UA they might give you a refund.
And please report back. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.