Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
If it's just the one flight to MUC, then it's just a matter of directing pax to T5 for LH to MUC and T1 for LH to all other destinations, similar to what they've done for Delta's flight to CDG.
Sure it can be done, but signage at passenger drop off for LH is at Terminal 1, etc. I guess the inter-terminal bus will make things easier, but surprised they are going this route. I didn't think gate space was THAT tight for the widebodies...
Old May 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
If it's just the one flight to MUC, then it's just a matter of directing pax to T5 for LH to MUC and T1 for LH to all other destinations, similar to what they've done for Delta's flight to CDG.
How is LH going to tell people flight 435 to MUC is from T1 while flight 437 to MUC is from T5? It will be massively confusing.

For Delta, it's much easier... it's their only INTL flight from ORD and the only place where they can park a widebody.

Last edited by JimInOhio; May 2, 2018 at 4:30 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 3, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ords
5 Stinger gates
Is there a reason the signage down there only mentions T1-3 on it, and no T5? I'd think AA would want it on there for JBV flights on BA.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Is there a reason the signage down there only mentions T1-3 on it, and no T5? I'd think AA would want it on there for JBV flights on BA.
O'Hare website claims that concourse has a T5 transfer point at L24. Maybe that's why passengers destined for T5 aren't directed back to the main part of T3.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
O'Hare website claims that concourse has a T5 transfer point at L24. Maybe that's why passengers destined for T5 aren't directed back to the main part of T3.
The signage at the entrance to the new pier does point out the T5 connection, but from what I've seen there's not much for passengers who deplane at the new L gates.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
The signage at the entrance to the new pier does point out the T5 connection, but from what I've seen there's not much for passengers who deplane at the new L gates.
I was over there, witnessed a few things and reported back to the bus committee. The only key wording missing on the all the DOM/T5 signage is that it stops running between 1330-1430 for shift change.
linglingfool likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Is there a way to connect from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 while still in the secure area ? If so, where does the bus or shuttle leave from
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ET359
Is there a way to connect from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 while still in the secure area ? If so, where does the bus or shuttle leave from
You have to walk to T3 (make sure to stay airside) and there are three departure locations for the bus to T5 in T3 (G17, K20, L24). G17 is the closest to T1.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx

There is another thread on this forum discussing the shuttle.

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:30 pm

We have a 2 hour domestic to international "connection" (AA to NH) in October, arriving at terminal 3 and departing from terminal 1, I believe. I have read in this thread that it takes around 15-20 minutes to walk from terminals 3 to 1. Is that still accurate? We will not have checked baggage as we do carry-on backpacks only. and we both have Precheck. We are in J for the NH flight.

Arrive: ~9:14am AA (Terminal 3?)
Depart: 11:20am NH (Terminal 1?)

It is possible to reschedule the domestic arrival to the night before the international flight if the ~2 hour connection time is too tight. I would like to have a few minutes to check out the Polaris Lounge, so if need be, we can arrive the night before to ensure plenty of time to check that out.

What do the experienced ORD flyers think? Thanks.

Last edited by travelin_lite; Aug 3, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelin_lite
We have a 2 hour domestic to international "connection" (AA to NH) in October, arriving at terminal 3 and departing from terminal 1, I believe. I have read in this thread that it takes around 15-20 minutes to walk from terminals 3 to 1. Is that still accurate? We will not have checked baggage as we do carry-on backpacks only. and we both have Precheck. We are in J for the NH flight.

Arrive: ~9:14am AA (Terminal 3?)
Depart: 11:20 NH (Terminal 1?)

It is possible to reschedule the domestic arrival to the night before the international flight if the ~2 hour connection time is too tight. I would like to have a few minutes to check out the Polaris Lounge, so if need be, we can arrive the night before to ensure plenty of time to check that out.

What do the experienced ORD flyers think? Thanks.
That's definitely plenty of time to make the walk. The terminals are connected airside; no buses, trains, or security. Just follow the signs for T1 and don't exit security by accident!

Exact time really depends on your gates....Gate G2 to Gate B5 (closest gates) is about 7 minutes walk. Gate K19 to gate C3 (worst case) is about 25 minutes. A more typical scenario, from the H/K concourse junction in T3 to the Polaris lounge in the C concourse in T1, about 15-20 minutes depending on your walking speed.

The NH wide body will probably park near the Polaris lounge, so probably not much of a post-lounge walk to your gate.

Assuming your first flight is on time, I'd expect you'd be sitting down in the Polaris lounge around 9:45am and need to leave around 10:45am for boarding. If an hour is not enough time for you (or you'd be upset if a 30m delay ate up half your lounge time), then the night before might be a good option.

If your "connection" is two separate tickets, then a 90+ minute delay on the first leg could also cause you to miss your second flight; an overnight might be a good idea for that reason too. I usually do 4 hours for a separate-ticket connection, but depends on your risk tolerance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
That's definitely plenty of time to make the walk. The terminals are connected airside; no buses, trains, or security. Just follow the signs for T1 and don't exit security by accident!

Exact time really depends on your gates....Gate G2 to Gate B5 (closest gates) is about 7 minutes walk. Gate K19 to gate C3 (worst case) is about 25 minutes. A more typical scenario, from the H/K concourse junction in T3 to the Polaris lounge in the C concourse in T1, about 15-20 minutes depending on your walking speed.

The NH wide body will probably park near the Polaris lounge, so probably not much of a post-lounge walk to your gate.

Assuming your first flight is on time, I'd expect you'd be sitting down in the Polaris lounge around 9:45am and need to leave around 10:45am for boarding. If an hour is not enough time for you (or you'd be upset if a 30m delay ate up half your lounge time), then the night before might be a good option.

If your "connection" is two separate tickets, then a 90+ minute delay on the first leg could also cause you to miss your second flight; an overnight might be a good idea for that reason too. I usually do 4 hours for a separate-ticket connection, but depends on your risk tolerance.
Great post. Thanks! I am leaning toward leaving the night before for a no rush situation.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by travelin_lite
Great post. Thanks! I am leaning toward leaving the night before for a no rush situation.
It would certainly be more relaxed. If it happens to be a Friday or Saturday night then the Hilton has good prices, otherwise you have to pay a bit for the convenience of walking too and fro.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:26 am

There are also several hotels on River Rd in Rosemont about 4 -5 miles from the airport with free shuttles. You might get a better value by looking at these and they are close to a lot of shopping, dining, etc if that is of any interest.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:08 am

Any plans for a dedicated PreCheck line at T5?

With the following airlines with T5 depatures now participating in TSA PreCheck will we ever see a true precheck line at T5 Or a combined precheck and priority security line/lines?

AM, AF, AV, BA, CM, CX, EK, EY, FI, KL, KE, SK, and TK

I don't know about passenger volume but I suspect that is close to (if not more than) 50% of the total departure passenger volume daily out of T5, My wife and I recently departed on TK with a supposed precheck boarding pass and cleared security 80 - 90 minutes before flight time and security was complete chaos. Took us easily 30 minutes to get through the line to a TSA document checker. Then their version of Pre Lite was laughable. Normal queuing for a scanner and the only real difference was we used the metal detectors rather than a body scanner.

With the number of participating airlines at T5 having a real pre security line would significantly reduce security wait times.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I will echo this. It is very important to implement a true PreCheck line at ORD T5. It is reducing Chicago's business competitiveness compared to other U.S. cities that do have true PreCheck for international carriers (e.g. Seattle, San Francisco, Detroit, MSP).

Please can you get the TSA to implement this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.