Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Parking at/near ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Thumbs up Midway Park Ride & Fly

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
At Midway (off topic but still...) I heartily recommend Midway Park Ride & Fly. It's everything Avistar is not. Excellent service, it's prepaid but they'll give you rain checks if your trip gets cut short. The only thing is that they only have a 2 hour grace period (e.g. arrive at 7pm, return the next day at 9:30pm is 2 days). A free day every tenth.
Still off topic..But I second the recommendation for Midway Park Ride & Fly. 9 times out of 10 the van is waiting at the arrivals curb when I walk out the door from luggage claim. This is without having to call. They really need to open an ORD location.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
I've used Thrifty at O'Hare several times. They never quite seem to know what's going on when I'm there, but they always manage to find my truck and have it ready for me when I arrive.

One caveat, make sure that if you have a manual transmission, you make sure that the person you're leaving it with knows how to drive stick (or knows someone there that does). I've had it happen more than once, the attendant gets to the truck and boggles--as if anyone working with cars in any capacity shouldn't know how to handle a manual.

I'm always looking for an alternative, but I wind up there anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:31 pm

I have never been happy with Avistar. It always takes forever to get your vehicle back.

Even though they are related the Midway Park and Ride is absolutely the BEST paring service I have ever dealt with but they are at Chicago-Midway.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
What is Thrifty's weekly rate?

Originally Posted by sipes23
I've used Thrifty at O'Hare several times. They never quite seem to know what's going on when I'm there, but they always manage to find my truck and have it ready for me when I arrive.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
What is Thrifty's weekly rate?
Off the top of my head I don't know, but they're about $15/day when all the taxes and whatnot are added in. There does seem to be some variation on the price depending where you book it. I *always* forget where I found it and have to search for it again.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:30 am
E.T

Park N Jet

We've used Park-N-Jet for many years but as a result of a recent experience we will not give them our business in the future. The shuttle drivers are great, but the people who run the place haven't got a clue when it comes to customer service. A recent trip turned to a disaster as a result of bad weather at our destination. Our flights were canceled two days in a row, and we finally just canceled the whole trip. On both days we parked at Park-N-Jet. We paid a total of about $26 to park for about 7 hours. The folks at Park-N-Jet refused to consider any adjustment. We got a refund on our plane tickets, our rental car (which was prepaid) and our hotel was great about not charging us. Only the bozos at Park-N-Jet were totally unmovable, and not very nice about it to boot.

On a previous occasion during the winter we parked at Park-N-Jet and I slipped and fell on the ice. I sent them an e-mail suggesting that they might want to salt better for the benefit of customer safety. I never heard a word of reply.

It's now April 2009 and gas prices are about half what they were at their earlier peak. Park-N-Jet is still charging a $2.00 fuel surcharge.

We're done with Park-N-Jet. From now on we park elsewhere.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:32 am
E.T

Park N Jet

We've used Park-N-Jet for many years but as a result of a recent experience we will not give them our business in the future. The shuttle drivers are great, but the people who run the place haven't got a clue when it comes to customer service. A recent trip turned to a disaster as a result of bad weather at our destination. Our flights were canceled two days in a row, and we finally just canceled the whole trip. On both days we parked at Park-N-Jet. We paid a total of about $26 to park for about 7 hours. The folks at Park-N-Jet refused to consider any adjustment. We got a refund on our plane tickets, our rental car (which was prepaid) and our hotel was great about not charging us. Only the bozos at Park-N-Jet were totally unmoveable, and not very nice about it to boot.

On a previous occasion during the winter we parked at Park-N-Jet and I slipped and fell on the ice. I sent them an e-mail suggesting that they might want to salt better for the benefit of customer safety. I never heard a word of reply.

It's now April 2009 and gas prices are about half what they were at their earlier peak. Park-N-Jet is still charging a $2.00 fuel surcharge.

We're done with Park-N-Jet. From now on we park elsewhere.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
What would you do for 3-4 days?

This is one of those rare situations when, because of the luggage, we are not considering the train...

For 3-4 days, where would you park at ORD?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aktchi
This is one of those rare situations when, because of the luggage, we are not considering the train...

I experimented with the off-site lots and in my opinion they weren't worth the extra hassle of waiting for a shuttle, etc. Now I'm just back to long-term lot by the ATS station.

With two of you and enough luggage to make you want to avoid the blue line, I'd suggest leaving a few minutes early and taking a pass around the terminals first and dropping off one person with the bags before parking.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi

I'd leave my car in the garage and take a flat rate taxi.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2 Mill - SPG Gold
Remote parkiing lot F (on Mannheim, just N of the airport) - only $9/day. I think the other remotes are $16
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jilz
Remote parkiing lot F (on Mannheim, just N of the airport) - only $9/day. I think the other remotes are $16
Lot E is now indeed $16/day. Until recently it was, I believe, $13. Not sure when it went up but it was a nasty surprise for me yesterday.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Jilz
Well, the price is right, but it's hardly convenient. They advise that you leave an extra 30-60 minutes to get to the terminal after you park - walk to the shuttle stop and wait for the shuttle TO the ATS that takes you to the terminal. And really miserable in the winter.

Unless you live quite far from the airport, after a couple of days (unless you're willing to park in the inconvenient Lot F), the cost of a taxi makes sense.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Just an update - We ended up using the F Lot. It was $9/day and very convenient, no problems at all. Thanks to all who replied to my question.

BTW, while the Blue Line is convenient when everything works, it has been happening with some regularity that the trains are not running on one small section and you you need to switch to a bus, which is pretty bad with luggage.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The key to the F lot is to drive to the back corner and park on the left edge. There's nobody parking back there and you can park very close to one of the shuttle stops. That way, you are right near your car and minimize your walking.

But it's a solid 25 minutes from the time the bus picks you up until you get into Terminal 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.