Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Parking at/near ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
ORD parking/pickup help?

My fiance is flying into ORD via NWA tomorrow night. I'm guessing from the available info that, as a domestic flight, it'll be coming into Terminal 2.

Can anyone make suggestions that I can give him tomorrow morning for where I will meet him or pick him up? I'm guessing from the ORD map that I should park in Lot A and go in? Any help? Suggestions for easy-to-locate landmarks where we can meet, as his UK-based mobile phone won't work once he hits the States so triangulation and "I'm standing next to the giant plant- wait! I see you! Turn left!" kinds of conversations won't happen?

Thanks in advance,
GG
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Get yourself a flight status alert (cellphone or phone number link), so you can track when he lands. Is he arriving from another city, or will he need to clear customs first? If Chicago is his first US destination, he will arrive @ International Terminal 5, not Terminal 2. If he is at Terminal 5 - traffic is low and parking is better, but if Terminal 2, then things are a little more cluttered and I would meet him at the departures level (up one floor). Also, is there is a bag, then again, more time. Here is the O'Hare parking diagram, good luck.
http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/park...e/parking.shtm
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
The OP is correct that her fiance will arrive in Terminal 2, since NWA does not operate international flights into ORD.

By the way, "Lot A" is really the parking garage. They have short-term parking on the ground level. I've never had a problem finding a spot there. It's easy to follow the signs from there into the correct terminal.

I've found that the easiest way to meet someone in this kind of situation is simply to go to the baggage claim belt for the flight in question. It doesn't matter whether he actually has a bag to pick up...it will be an easily identifiable location that each of you can determine by checking the monitors in the baggage claim area for Terminal 2. Unless NWA suddenly decides to fly 747's into O'Hare, you shouldn't have any problem finding your fiance in the crowd of people in the vicinity of the baggage claim.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by bkramt1
Get yourself a flight status alert (cellphone or phone number link), so you can track when he lands. Is he arriving from another city, or will he need to clear customs first? If Chicago is his first US destination, he will arrive @ International Terminal 5, not Terminal 2. If he is at Terminal 5 - traffic is low and parking is better, but if Terminal 2, then things are a little more cluttered and I would meet him at the departures level (up one floor). Also, is there is a bag, then again, more time. Here is the O'Hare parking diagram, good luck.
http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/park...e/parking.shtm
And of course, the cheapest way is to go sit at the Cell phone lot (see on the map in the link above it's right off Mannheim Rd.), check real-time flight status at www.flightstats.com if your phone has web access, and then meet him outside, say, the left-most door of the terminal as he exits (for you, that's the first you come to). Don't try to get there before he does -- the police monitors at ORD can be enthusiastic about keeping cars from sitting more than 2-3 minutes!

And he should not be shy about asking someone if he can borrow phone to call you. If he picks the least-stressed person he sees, they probably won't mind...

Last edited by lskohn; Apr 18, 2008 at 10:58 am Reason: misread OP
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:05 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lskohn
And of course, the cheapest way is to go sit at the Cell phone lot (see on the map in the link above it's right off Mannheim Rd.), check real-time flight status at www.flightstats.com if your phone has web access, and then meet him outside, say, the left-most door of the terminal as he exits (for you, that's the first you come to).
I agree and practice all of the above, EXCEPT as usually traffic can be an issue to/from the terminals, I have the person arriving take the tram out to remote parking E where the "kiss n fly" area is. VERY easy to pick them up there, never any traffic issues. This worked out excellent last night as I was running a bit late and the person I was picking up took the tram out to E. He was just coming outside towards the pick-up parking lot area when I pulled into the lot.^

edited to add: I see that your BF was arriving on the 18th, so where did you end up picking him up ?

--
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: US*Silver
Originally Posted by lskohn
And he should not be shy about asking someone if he can borrow phone to call you. If he picks the least-stressed person he sees, they probably won't mind...
I know you've already gone to pick him up.. but I wanted to comment on this advice. I have offered my phone to strangers in need (particularly foreign ones who may not have US cell service - or find their int'l plans very expensive). I'm sure other people like me wouldn't mind! Most everyone here in the U.S. has more minutes than they know what to do with - and it costs the same to call the person next to you as it does to reach someone in AK or HI.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Hey, just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I met my fiance at baggage claim and it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.

Thanks for the help- once again, FlyerTalk saves me!

GG
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:45 am

Unhappy park n jet

I just picked up my car at park n jet last night. Previously I have parked there one other time. That experience was OK. Last night was AWFUL! First of all, at O'Hare, it is a bit confusing to get to the bus/shuttle location that park n jet uses for pickup. I was at the wrong location for pickup. Upon calling again about pickup, they told me I was at the wrong entrance and further directed me. They said they were sending someone back to pick me up. Their further directions were completely incorrect (directed me to the wrong level!!), however, I did find my way on my own. 25 minutes after my second call, I was picked up. (Overall wait time-65 minutes) Then the charges!!! They posted a "coupon" for $8.50 for at least a 3 day stay. There is an additional $1.25 a day "tax" charge (have no idea why the "tax" is14.7%) and $2 tacked onto your bill for fuel. So much for "free" pickup! Then, I was two hours past the time I parked my car there on the first day (one of those hours waiting for them), so I incurred another day's parking and "tax". Overall, I felt ripped off!! Lots of unexpected charges! My three night parking stay, plus two hours, cost $41.00! Personally, I probably won't use them again.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Welcome to FT!

The tax charge is something you'll find at any parking lot in the city. The quoted rates at downtown garages (unless it's changed recently) don't include the tax.

The fuel charge was added on when gas was $3.00 or $3.50/gallon; just like the airlines all hit us with fuel surcharges when gas was high. Have any airlines recinded those surcharges now that gas is half that price? I suspect the other garages are doing the same thing.

All the companies have to use that pickup location, it's mandated by ORD. Its unfortunate that the directions weren't clear- were you arriving at domestic or int'l? I suspect int'l, since you say you were on the wrong level.

I've used park-n-jet for years. One time it did take 40 minutes for the pickup, but other than that it's usually <10 minutes. As I mentioned above, I did try avistar once, and upon returning to their garage I had to wait over 30 minutes for them to find where they parked my car.

I do call after exiting the sterile zone, or after picking up any checked luggage, and tell them I'll be at the pickup spot in 5 minutes; that helps cut the wait time, and often if a driver is there and ready to leave he'll wait for me.

The two hour overage charge you received wasn't right; unfortunately, I don't think you can dispute it now, since they have a sign saying that if you have any questions about billing you need to ask prior to paying. However, you could send them a letter explaining and asking for a refund of those 2 hours, perhaps they'll do it.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Dec 10, 2008 at 10:39 am
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:32 am

I've used Pride because I like the employees and they are cheaper; though they don't run as many shuttles and pickups have been late during high traffic times.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeye79
I've used Pride because I like the employees and they are cheaper; though they don't run as many shuttles and pickups have been late during high traffic times.
I avoid Pride because I don't like the staff and they're no cheaper than the competitors.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I avoid Pride because I don't like the staff and they're no cheaper than the competitors.

Pride - $7.50 per day
Park n Jet - $8.50 per day
Thrifty - $9.00 per day
Avistar - $9.75 per day ($2 coupon available)
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeye79

Pride - $7.50 per day
Park n Jet - $8.50 per day
Thrifty - $9.00 per day
Avistar - $9.75 per day ($2 coupon available)
Check the T/C's for that low ball Pride rate during peak times.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Last time I parked at Avistar, I made fun of the fuel surcharge when I was paying, and let the clerk know that when the weather is good, I park in the F lot. I only use Avistar when the weather is threatening and I want to park inside.

The F lot is really a great deal - $9/day after tax, discounts for partial days (my typical trip out of ORD is 2 days and 5 hours), and the F bus picks you up within 20 feet of your car if you know to not just follow the sheep but go park over in the SE corner by stops 3 or 4.

At Midway (off topic but still...) I heartily recommend Midway Park Ride & Fly. It's everything Avistar is not. Excellent service, it's prepaid but they'll give you rain checks if your trip gets cut short. The only thing is that they only have a 2 hour grace period (e.g. arrive at 7pm, return the next day at 9:30pm is 2 days). A free day every tenth.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

The F lot is really a great deal - $9/day after tax, discounts for partial days (my typical trip out of ORD is 2 days and 5 hours), and the F bus picks you up within 20 feet of your car if you know to not just follow the sheep but go park over in the SE corner by stops 3 or 4.
I have to agree that now that F is open again, I think that really it is the cheapest and least hassel. There is a break away point where you might be better off getting two one way rentals, but with ORD having such high rental taxes right now, even that break even point is way out there. One vote for lot F. I have been following this thread for a while, and just do not see an enticing arguement for leaving lot F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.