ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hello Again! I forgot to ask but my wife is coming into ORD from NRT on ANA and then connecting onto AC to YYZ; will there be a luggage drop off at T5 after she clears customs or will be she need to take her luggage to T2 on the shuttle bus?

Thank you for any response, I appreciate this great forum.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
There is a luggage drop at T-5.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Snuggs
There is a luggage drop at T-5.
Thank you for the information!
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Can anyone tell me typically how long it would take to get from an AA flight from Toronto (T3, I believe) to a BA flight in T5. The minimum connection time is 75 minutes and I have been booked on flights with 95 minutes between and was wondering how much sweating to anticipate!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
Can anyone tell me typically how long it would take to get from an AA flight from Toronto (T3, I believe) to a BA flight in T5. The minimum connection time is 75 minutes and I have been booked on flights with 95 minutes between and was wondering how much sweating to anticipate!
I assume you have no luggage to claim and recheck at ORD and already will have your BA boarding pass before you leave YYZ: then I would say even 50-60 minutes in between is easy nowadays. Just don’t dilly dally on the way between flights.

Last month my ORD T2 to T5 transfer landslide by bus had me go from door open to T5 departure gate in less than 30 minutes without huffing it any faster than usual. And that bus stopped briefly on the way from T2 to T5, while T3 is even a shorter distance to T5 than T2 is to T5. The landside transfer bus frequency is very good IMO and the security screening lines at T5 between 5-9pm are the shortest/fastest I’ve ever seen them for this time of year and day.

The landside interterminal buses at ORD were miserably hot for me at times on some November days, but other than that the walks and brief wait outside was fine. It’s probably pretty much still the same although December traffic is up from the days when I was there last month.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Some rumblings about resumption of services around July based on airline needs.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:24 pm

Any chance the new airside transportation service will be up and running by December? I’ll most likely be transferring from T3 to T5 with a toddler in tow, and I had no idea that apparently you need to reclear security when going from a domestic to international flight. Everything I’ve read has indicated that the bus contract has been extended until October for the landside buses. However, I didn’t know if anyone who used ORD more regularly had any better idea? Or perhaps I’ve misread information? Having to go back through security simply because you are connecting from a domestic flight to international flight in a different terminal is something I don’t think I’ve needed to do in decades.

Last edited by Emma1420; Sep 1, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:08 am
Suspended

T1/T2/T3 to T5 transfers this summer have included the need to re-clear a TSA screening checkpoint at ORD. With a toddler and potentially a stroller in tow, this entire year that transfer would require the landside vehicles on the road and dealing with another security screening.

Some of those airside bus transfers at ORD have been sort of a hassle anyway at times if transporting a stroller, because at times there is the stair issue that comes up as being worse for the airside transfer (when it operated) than for the landside transfer. But generally, if having the time and opportunity to avoid dealing with another security screening when traveling with a toddler, best to seek that out. And nowadays it can be preferable to book a routing that doesn’t involve ORD in order to try to minimize the security screening encounters.

Originally Posted by ords
Some rumblings about resumption of services around July based on airline needs.
July too came and went without it happening for me at ORD. Any updates on if the airside shuttle will even be restarted this year?

While I’m having fun using the GE card as ID to deal with the TSA to get into T5 after doing the landside terminal shuffle, there are some trips where the landside transfer is an inconvenience best avoided if it’s possible.
Emma1420 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 2, 2021 at 1:20 am
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:50 am
Original Poster

July was a target date based on a set level of transferring passengers and on some days that level wasn't met with passenger forecast. This is the airlines now pushing back on the cost of restarting the TTB heading into the slower season of the year. There's monthly calls to debate starting or not starting and the more vocal group of not starting still is winning the battle.
threeoh likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ords
July was a target date based on a set level of transferring passengers and on some days that level wasn't met with passenger forecast. This is the airlines now pushing back on the cost of restarting the TTB heading into the slower season of the year. There's monthly calls to debate starting or not starting and the more vocal group of not starting still is winning the battle.
Thanks for the update. I shall have to hope that more flights get added through other airports so I can move my flights so I can transit anywhere but O’Hare. Dealing with a toddler, stroller, plus carry ons trying to transfer on a bus and then reclear security sounds like a nightmare I need to avoid,
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

A quick update, target is set around March 1st, 2022 for resumption. This could shift though depending on demand levels.
GUWonder and JimInOhio like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Emma1420
Thanks for the update. I shall have to hope that more flights get added through other airports so I can move my flights so I can transit anywhere but O’Hare. Dealing with a toddler, stroller, plus carry ons trying to transfer on a bus and then reclear security sounds like a nightmare I need to avoid,
The people mover (ATS) is up and running again, so all level boarding climate controlled, no buses.
Emma1420 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:15 am
Suspended

…. but elevators.

Originally Posted by threeoh
The people mover (ATS) is up and running again, so all level boarding climate controlled, no buses.
Using the ATS — to go between terminals for an onward flight while connecting at ORD — means having to clear TSA screening and all the hassle it can mean. In some ways the airside interterminal bus can be considered better — when it’s operating — than the ATS, but even then there can be reasons to not be a fan of T1/2/3 to T5 connections if able to avoid it.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
…. but elevators.

Using the ATS — to go between terminals for an onward flight while connecting at ORD — means having to clear TSA screening and all the hassle it can mean. In some ways the airside interterminal bus can be considered better — when it’s operating — than the ATS, but even then there can be reasons to not be a fan of T1/2/3 to T5 connections if able to avoid it.
In the end, the options are either to put up with little incoveniences like this or just stay home. I can't tell you how many times I had to ride an interterminal bus at PHL and EWR, to name two.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
In the end, the options are either to put up with little incoveniences like this or just stay home. I can't tell you how many times I had to ride an interterminal bus at PHL and EWR, to name two.
In the end, the options may include routing in a way that doesn’t involve ORD and even avoids having to get re-screened by the TSA or its functional equivalent.
cheltzel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.