Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The bidirectional shuttle allowance is going to be useful in some way even for my international arrivals into ORD. And every 15 minutes is better frequency than before.
Hi, how is this going to work / help for international arrivals? I thought you had to take the ATS to T1-3 after Customs. Do you mean going thru TSA in T5 and then using the TTB is faster?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bamin
Hi, how is this going to work / help for international arrivals? I thought you had to take the ATS to T1-3 after Customs. Do you mean going thru TSA in T5 and then using the TTB is faster?
I mean TSA in T5 and then using the airside TTB to get out of T5.

Instead of having to go take the ATS to get airside following my international arrivals at ORD, when I already have a boarding pass for any departing ORD flight later on the day (and have no luggage to port over to self check-in at T1-T3), I look forward to sometimes just going directly to the TSA screening checkpoints at T5 to get airside there and then take the airside inter-terminal bus to get to T1-3.

Whether it’s faster, better or neither will depend on the particular circumstances of a trip/passenger. But sometimes it will be faster and/or better for me to do this than to do the land-side/ATS shuffle to go between terminals upon international arrival at ORD.
bamin likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:18 am
Original Poster

I will expect this group to provide feedback.

There is one noticeable change, the busses will need to use the vehicle roadways whereas in 2019, the larger COBUS could be driven on/across taxiways. Some of the initial trial runs went from 4 to 18 minutes depending on the terminal. These are with new drivers, so I expect the higher times to come down as they become more familiar with the operation.

In 2019 Checkpoint 11 was used, given the location of M13 at T5 now, Checkpoint 10 will be the one passengers will be directed to unless TSA says otherwise.
aj411 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ords
I will expect this group to provide feedback.

There is one noticeable change, the busses will need to use the vehicle roadways whereas in 2019, the larger COBUS could be driven on/across taxiways. Some of the initial trial runs went from 4 to 18 minutes depending on the terminal. These are with new drivers, so I expect the higher times to come down as they become more familiar with the operation.

In 2019 Checkpoint 11 was used, given the location of M13 at T5 now, Checkpoint 10 will be the one passengers will be directed to unless TSA says otherwise.
Thanks for the appreciated info, as always.

Does ORD plan to actively encourage international arrival passengers to use the airside TTB to go from T5 to make the onward connections out of T1-T3?

Do you happen to know on average what percentage of international arrivals passengers at ORD are connecting onto a same-day onward flight out of ORD?

4-18 minutes? I am sure I’ll share my opinion about that. For me, it will largely comes down to the variance for any given pair of bus-embarkation and bus-disembarkation points. Predictability is important.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2023 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for the appreciated info, as always.

Does ORD plans to actively encourage international arrival passengers to use the airside TTB to go from T5 to make the onward connections out of T1-T3? It will be up to the carriers to encourage the use of the TTB. Eventually there will be an express connect lane down in the FIS but that won't happen for a while. Until this happens UA and AA will hand out cards on the recheck side.

Do you happen to know on average what percentage of international arrivals passengers at ORD are connecting onto a same-day onward flight out of ORD? The Airlines plan to provide this information usually a week out, I haven't seen the numbers yet although I'm hearing 65-70%.

4-18 minutes? I am sure I’ll share my opinion about that. For me, it will largely comes down to the variance for any given pair of bus-embarkation and bus-disembarkation points. Predictability is important.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any day 1 riders?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I think it's great that the TTB is finally coming back and that it will be bidirectional.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Saw this today. Actually some promotion

Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Signage at T5 is weak, so expect to see some improvements on this soon.

If you're coming from the main terminal complex over to T5 via the TTB, the CDA is aware there's a lack of connecting gate information monitors just outside the exit within the terminal. I'm expecting this to be updated within a few weeks. It's not like they knew months ago..
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I don't see any reports here yet, I am popping in to say I found the bus service very easy to use and convenient. Total transfer time for me was about 15 minutes. It seems like it should worst case be 30 minutes or less. Great for looking at planes on the taxiway too.

Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Had a chat the asst. port director with CBP and they're working to add in the express connect lane on the immigration queuing side. It's all dependant on the next phase of construction date. (personally, I see this around end of April, beginning of May)

Ridership is slowly moving upwards in numbers as CDA, airlines and TSA are once again becoming familiar and comfortable with it.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by fumje
Since I don't see any reports here yet, I am popping in to say I found the bus service very easy to use and convenient. Total transfer time for me was about 15 minutes. It seems like it should worst case be 30 minutes or less. Great for looking at planes on the taxiway too.
Nice TWA retrojet!
goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:19 pm

Used the TTB to get from T3 to T5 a few days back. Fairly smooth sailing except the Prospectus staff weren’t there to open the secure door at T3 which resulted in an alarm and a 10 minute delay with airport security needed.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Fun fact: since the TTB restart, around 12,000 passengers have used the service.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:31 am

Has anyone used the bus *from* T5 yet?

I’m hoping to connect from T5 to T3 in a few weeks and it’s still not clear from official sites how the TTB would work for that direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.