Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Name and shame?
It's a split between the carriers themselves. Think one alliance over the other...The CDA would love to see it operate.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Heck. I would be willing to pay $5-10, to avoid having to go through security again.
dls25 and aj411 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ords
It's a split between the carriers themselves. Think one alliance over the other...The CDA would love to see it operate.
The CDA wants it to operate but it looks like they don't want to pay for it themselves.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
That could really go either way given current layouts. My hunch says that OW wants it to given the AA/BA tie up. And even though several *A carriers are in T5 UA still has LH and NH colocated with them…
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given how uptight the airside TTB boarding guardians were about collecting boarding pass data from travel party members and myself, I would not be surprised if some of the cost splitting was based on an airline/airline JV basis and tied to that collected passenger data. Was it?

That TTB passenger info recording could have been done to make sure that it was first come first served basis for those passengers wanting to use the TTB but having to wait for it, but they seemed to do this even when the things were empty and there was no wait.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The CDA wants it to operate but it looks like they don't want to pay for it themselves.
Indeed it seems to me like there is an element of wanting to have the service covered by OPM.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:22 am
Original Poster

The CDA budget comes through landing rates, so in the end the airlines are the ones still paying for it.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
The CDA budget comes through landing rates, so in the end the airlines are the ones still paying for it.
True, but that amount is still fixed, so that money has to come out of something else
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:14 am
Suspended

But is an Icelandair really in the market to more directly subsidize the ability of AA to transfer passengers from T1-3 to T-5 so those AA passengers can make their flights on AA’s revenue-sharing JV partners? FI is so cheap that they don’t even provide a free snack to adults in economy class. Can’t see them wanting to pay for this kind of service when they are already so cheap on what they even provide their own customers.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
True, but that amount is still fixed, so that money has to come out of something else
That's all true but no more true than to say the airlines have to pay for a pothole to be filled on the road in front of T2 (or wherever). Ultimately, there are thousands of things that go into running and maintaining an airport which, in theory, are paid for by landing fees. The question is whether the terminal transfer bus should be one of those thousands of things. With all the money spent on the armada of landside buses that were needed (are they still being used?), the TTB should look like a drop in the bucket by comparison.

In the end, isn't it the passenger that's paying for this anyway?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
That's all true but no more true than to say the airlines have to pay for a pothole to be filled on the road in front of T2 (or wherever). Ultimately, there are thousands of things that go into running and maintaining an airport which, in theory, are paid for by landing fees. The question is whether the terminal transfer bus should be one of those thousands of things. With all the money spent on the armada of landside buses that were needed (are they still being used?), the TTB should look like a drop in the bucket by comparison.

In the end, isn't it the passenger that's paying for this anyway?
+1
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
With all the money spent on the armada of landside buses that were needed (are they still being used?), the TTB should look like a drop in the bucket by comparison.
The buses were being used on September 4 when we went through as the train had broken down. This was about 1 p.m. and I don't know when it got going again, the staff had no idea and everything was quite chaotic as they had to patch it together in a hurry. So it's just as well the buses are around. I don't know how they round up an army of drivers.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:40 am

My guess is it's UA that's blocking this. The biggest INTL market out of Chicago is to London and BA is the one airline, due to using an A380, that has to use T5 for departures. Anytning that enables the AA/BA partnership might be something UA has no interest in supporting.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:29 am
Suspended

My guess is it's UA that's blocking this. The biggest INTL market out of Chicago is to London and BA is the one airline, due to using an A380, that has to use T5 for departures. Anytning that enables the AA/BA partnership might be something UA has no interest in supporting.
DL is consolidating into T5. DL/SkyTeam@ORD will have less utility for this TTB service than AA/Oneworld and even UA/Star Alliance.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Didn't AA/BA used to run (pay for) their own T3->T5 bus not so long ago? Why not restart that one and let *A passengers fend for themselves? With LH and NH using T1 I am not sure there are *that* many *A transfers.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
There has been a lot of discussion about BA and QR moving to T3. With UA having it's chief JV partners (LH & NH) in T1 and assuming BA moves to T3 eventually, I think that airline support for the TTB will drop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.