Reload this Page >

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I cannot believe how long this project has been delayed. Is Parsons Construction Group completely incompetent or are there other factors at play?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:37 pm

I'm flying Iberia from Madrid to ORD in early December with my 4 year old. I assume we'll land in T5. We'll then connect from ORD to DFW on AA. I assume that flight will depart from T1, T2 or T3. Our options are either a 2 hour layover or a 3 hour layover. We both have Global Entry and don't anticipate checking a bag. Is 2 hours enough time to make the terminal change?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by BradyD
I'm flying Iberia from Madrid to ORD in early December with my 4 year old. I assume we'll land in T5. We'll then connect from ORD to DFW on AA. I assume that flight will depart from T1, T2 or T3. Our options are either a 2 hour layover or a 3 hour layover. We both have Global Entry and don't anticipate checking a bag. Is 2 hours enough time to make the terminal change?
With GE and no bag, 2 hours is more than enough time. The bus melt-down days seem to be a thing of the past, and the airside TTB bus is there as a backup option. Who knows, ATS (the train) may even be back in operation by then.

Of course, 3 hours gives you more buffer if your flight is delayed or there are other unexpected problems.

Given that ORD-DFW flights are frequent and there are likely multiple backup flights, I'd take book the 2 hour one.

If no GE or checked bags, or I really had to make it to DFW that day, I'd take the 3-hour one.

Note that Iberia will pay for your hotel/meals if you are stranded overnight because of your flight delay.
BradyD likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:06 pm

Along the same lines, I have Priority Pass lounge access but it looks like my only options are in T5. If I'm making the same T5 to T1, T2, T3 transfer, is it worth it to even attempt to go to one of the lounges?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:07 pm

Along the same lines, I have Priority Pass lounge access but it looks like my only options are in T5. If I'm making the same T5 to T1, T2, T3 transfer, is it worth it to even attempt to go to one of the lounges?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

"Worth it" is up to you. More worth it now that there is an airside bus: re-clear security in T5, go to lounge, leave plenty of time to take airside bus to T1/2/3 (check operating times, it doesn't operate as frequently as the landside bus, etc.). If I had less than 2 hours, I wouldn't bother. If I had more than 5 hours, I'd go have lunch in Logan Square. If I had 3.5 hours I'd probably try to hit up the lounge.

Note also that T5 doesn't have Precheck, if that's important to you.
BradyD likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:00 am

[QUOTE

Last edited by northsideguy; Oct 3, 2019 at 3:07 am
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
"Worth it" is up to you. More worth it now that there is an airside bus: re-clear security in T5, go to lounge, leave plenty of time to take airside bus to T1/2/3 (check operating times, it doesn't operate as frequently as the landside bus, etc.). If I had less than 2 hours, I wouldn't bother. If I had more than 5 hours, I'd go have lunch in Logan Square. If I had 3.5 hours I'd probably try to hit up the lounge.

Note also that T5 doesn't have Precheck, if that's important to you.
There's also been a decrease in departing passengers at T5 in general as the summer season is winding down, so getting through security has been pretty easy over all. Looking to the winter season, that's still during the slower portion before the holiday travel period kicks in. You could hit up the Air France lounge in T5 ( between M8 and M7, that's the PP Lounge ) for a quick drink and bite to eat then walk down to M1 and hop on the TTB if you have the 3 hour layover. Either way, I believe you'll want got get off at the K19 stop and then head to the DFW gate once known.

The ATS should be up and running by Thanksgiving, but I haven't asked about that in a while since the TTB and Landside busing are working to a degree.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
OT, but FWIW, I've been through T5 twice in the past month, and neither PP lounge was accepting PP guests between 5 (perhaps even earlier) and 8:30 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
OT, but FWIW, I've been through T5 twice in the past month, and neither PP lounge was accepting PP guests between 5 (perhaps even earlier) and 8:30 PM.
Thanks for the help. The reviews for the ORD PP lounges seem pretty underwhelming so I doubt I make the effort at this point.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:11 pm
BCH

Just noticed that the official ORD website now says that the ATS will be operational "just in time for the 2019 Winter holiday season." Ugh. Another delay.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by BCH
Just noticed that the official ORD website now says that the ATS will be operational "just in time for the 2019 Winter holiday season." Ugh. Another delay.
The article narrows the time down a little bit:

The exact date that the ATS returns to service remains subject to ongoing safety and reliability testing of the driverless system, but every indication is that the People Mover will be back online prior to Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

The article narrows the time down a little bit:
More information should be available by Tuesday of next week to a more specific time frame.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:54 am

Back on this thread's topic, is there a reason this official CDA website https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx says "If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 you will not be able to use the TTB.​​"

Is it just out of date or is the T5->T1/2/3 direction supposed to be secret or only used for "express connections" still?
BradyD likes this.

Last edited by threeoh; Oct 10, 2019 at 7:54 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Back on this thread's topic, is there a reason this official CDA website https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx says "If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 you will not be able to use the TTB.​​"

Is it just out of date or is the T5->T1/2/3 direction supposed to be secret or only used for "express connections" still?
I don't think it's deliberately deceptive, but yes it does seem like they are trying to funnel arriving international passengers into the land-side shuttle instead of the ATB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.