Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There is a thread on this .... that being said, I personally prefer the Renaissance and am usually there several times a year. Historically, it had a better lounge and better upgrades than the Marriott. That being said the LAX Marriott just had some work done. Perhaps its just habit ... and I can walk to Hertz to pick up or drop off a car.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:51 am

I only found the one on the LAX Marriott... just wanted to get quick feedback. I am gold so a slight chance of upgrade. Didn't know if either should be overtly avoided for any reason, really.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I usually stay at the Renaissance because they have a better than average lounge, the self-parking is fairly easy to use, and the price is usually competitive (not a concern for you). That said, of all the Renaissances at which I have stayed, this is definitely at the lower end. It is a 70/80's era airport hotel that has seen a lot of upgrades but can't entirely overcome the limitations of its origin, sort of a gilded Ramada.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:32 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by wm47
IThat said, of all the Renaissances at which I have stayed, this is definitely at the lower end. It is a 70/80's era airport hotel that has seen a lot of upgrades but can't entirely overcome the limitations of its origin, sort of a gilded Ramada.
Because of the ease of walking to Hertz this has been my choice as well, but if that doesn't matter it might be worth checking out he Marriott (which I haven't done yet (since it has received a facelift.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Add me to the Renaissance > Marriott LAX list
Lounge: Ren
Parking: Ren
upgrades: Ren
Old May 28, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska; American; AMEX MR; Delta; Hilton; Marriott
Post Reno Marriott got my vote

Since the renovations, I've moved to the Marriott as my go to LAX property. The walk to Budget rental car is a little further but no big deal. The lounge is great with 24/7 access and a nice view of the runways which are fascinating to watch. There is self service laundry which I've used when I had back to back to back trips with this stay in the middle. My last stay at Renaissance was disappointing (2017). The decor etc just didn't live up to the updated Marriott. The shuttle does a circle from airport to Marriott to Renaissance.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:26 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by Traveler-girl
Since the renovations, I've moved to the Marriott as my go to LAX property. The walk to Budget rental car is a little further but no big deal. The lounge is great with 24/7 access and a nice view of the runways which are fascinating to watch. There is self service laundry which I've used when I had back to back to back trips with this stay in the middle. My last stay at Renaissance was disappointing (2017). The decor etc just didn't live up to the updated Marriott. The shuttle does a circle from airport to Marriott to Renaissance.
Thanks for this post. I am now motivated to try the Marriott again.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:53 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Traveler-girl
WOW. YMMV. But, I stayed at the Marriott once post renovation and I was almost sorry I didn't check out early. I found the new room renovations to be very annoying. The lights and power (including to my laptop) would turn off when I was sitting at the desk working because I wasn't moving around enough. I seem to recall having some annoyances about the new lounge, too, but can't recall what they were at the moment.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmj10
Using my husband's govt. rate, so its the same price either way. Just crashing for a night before we head to Agoura Hills in the AM for a wedding. Anyone have experience at either, or preference one over the other? Thanks!
Isn't there a Renaissance in Agoura Hills? Depending on the day of the week and time you'll be driving, it might be advantageous to stay nearer the wedding--just something to consider.

Also, to the poster who recommended the LAX Ren but said it reminded them of "a gilded Ramada", remember that Renaissance as a brand was started by Ramada as their upscale line before Marriott bought it. I don't know if it's still this way, but the floor map placards at the LAX Ren used to say "Ramada Renaissance Los Angeles Airport" for many years after the conversion...
Old May 29, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Isn't there a Renaissance in Agoura Hills? Depending on the day of the week and time you'll be driving, it might be advantageous to stay nearer the wedding--just something to consider.
There was. I stayed at it one time when I was attending a wedding up that way. However, think it's a Sheraton now.

Back to airport hotels. Read an industry article yesterday about the renovation/conversion of the restaurant/bar at LAX Ren, which had good reviews.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:40 am

Also, to the poster who recommended the LAX Ren but said it reminded them of "a gilded Ramada", remember that Renaissance as a brand was started by Ramada as their upscale line before Marriott bought it. I don't know if it's still this way, but the floor map placards at the LAX Ren used to say "Ramada Renaissance Los Angeles Airport" for many years after the conversion...
We already have rooms reserved up there for the wedding and day after (and it is a Sheraton now). We get in a midnight on a transcon from BOS, so won't really feeling like driving at the time of night.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I have stayed at the updated LAX Marriott 3 times in last 6 weeks

The property is much better than previous. It does now have the M Lounge which is open 24 Hours a day (good), but not very well stocked off hours (bad). Does not have food items early enough for those with early flights to get anything other than than coffee. The rooms are better then they were but are heading in the direction most Marriott's are going which I do not care for. I do not think the new design works well for those who need a desk and power outlets. I remember the Marriott campaign Rooms that Work and in my opinion these are the opposite of that. Funny part is the regular rooms work better for those who use a PC than the Junior Suites so I also request no upgrades. But if all you use is a pad then any of the rooms will work well for you.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmj10
We already have rooms reserved up there for the wedding and day after (and it is a Sheraton now). We get in a midnight on a transcon from BOS, so won't really feeling like driving at the time of night.
I certainly understand, although when you're sitting in traffic the next morning you may wish you had sucked it up and driven at midnight!
Old May 29, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I certainly understand, although when you're sitting in traffic the next morning you may wish you had sucked it up and driven at midnight!
'tho to be fair, going north (405) and west (officially 101 north) will be better in the morning than with the commute traffic (101 east/south and 405 south).

David
Old May 29, 2018, 4:29 pm

Ha! We will have quite some time before we need to be there to check-in and get ready, so we're hoping to leave at an "off" time (I realize this has little to no meaning in LA) so it won't be as horrible.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.