Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2000, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently - I understand it was recently remodeled.

Any comments re: Concierge Lounge and Concierge Level Rooms would be sincerely appreciated.
Old Jul 26, 2000, 3:03 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I stayed Marriott at the Lax many times through the 90's, but have started to look elsewhere. They tell me the hotel is full and the concierge lounge is to crowded, when the hotel is not full, and the lounge is empty. It is a corporate owned hotel, which I have noticed has the attitude and impersonal treatement. This was not true when things were slow in the early 90's recession. Downgraded lounge 'foods', also.
The Hilton next door has not problem with upgrades and lounge access. And better senior rates and rooms.

It was not surprise when Marriott moved down in the Freddy's.
Old Jul 26, 2000, 8:49 am

For my money, you are waaaaay better off at the LAX Renaissance than the Marriott. I stayed at the Marriott twice, once was fair, once was so bad that I got comped room and tax.

The Ren has never put me on the concierge floor, but even with that it is a better bet than that barn masquerading as a hotel 300 meters south!

quadequick likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Renaissance LAX Comments

Can anyone comment on this property? I am using it for a headquarters on a last minute mileage run to get to EXP on AA next weekend.

I am PLT with Marriott and am particularly interested in ease of upgrades.

Happy Holidays and Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've only stayed there on the weekend (about a year ago). Like many Renaissance properties, it was a bit more intimate than your basic Marriott. I'm Gold and was upgraded to the club level on a very cheap rate. The room was nice and service was generally good. I didn't eat at the hotel. Can't remember if they have high speed internet access.

The down side was that the club lounge is closed on the weekends. However, they had a list of wines outside the lounge that they normally pour. I remember being impressed by the quality of wines that they used.

Here's another thread regarding this.

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited 12-09-2001).]
Old Dec 9, 2001, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Stayed here overnight after a CDG-LAX flight last May. Transportation to and from LAX is very good via Marriott's shuttle.

I was there mid-week and got a nice king room for $89 - not a club floor, no upgrade, but a nice room. I had a great view out on the runways of LAX. Hertz is directly across the street (I picked up my car the next day).

The phone wasn't working in the room when I checked in - maintenace was up and had it fixed within minutes. Minibar is empty and you need to call Front Desk for supplies (I found this strange). I went out of the hotel and across the street next to Hertz is a large liquor store with everything you coould possibly need.

Staff is very nice. Common areas are clean, comfortable and well-kept. A little run-down in the hallways to the rooms. I had drinks in the bar (very decent wine selection) and dinner at the restaurant. Good. Breakfast was good as well. Checkout was fast and efficient.

Didn't check out the pool or gym.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 5:52 am

This place is my choice at LAX every time. The service and rooms are only just about O.K, but it is a little quieter and more intimate than most other hotels in the area.

Transportation is good with the shuttle, but there is really very little within walking distance of the hotel, so you will have to be content with what they offer you for dining/drinking. (Other hotels being the only real alternatives)

U/G shouldn't be a problem, but you may have to ask and smile sweetly, they don't seem to do it automatically for me.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Marriott-family hotels near LAX

A few weeks ago I booked a 1 night award stay at this property. Got online, ZERO regular award availability for the date I needed. So I started checking random dates. Still no availability.

So I called the Platinum line and asked them why there was no availability. She checked, made funny noises of wonderment, and then put me on hold. About 5 minutes later she came back and said there was NO regular award availability at this hotel out to 50 weeks in the future. And she didn't know why. (Her excuse was that the only set aside a limited number of rooms. I know they do, but c'mon, they're fully booked for awards for the next YEAR? Highly implausible...)

Of course they were more than willing to take an Anytime Award reservation. They also don't accept e-certs.

Finally, she told me that hotel was downgraded this year to a category 2.

My concusion: The owner is looking for a new management company...

Thoughts?

{fixed typo}

------------------
Leadership is not about personal privilege or power.
The duty of the leader is to serve the needs of those
who are led.
-Jan Erteszek

[This message has been edited by empedocles (edited 07-17-2003).]
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Hmmm...

Doesn't suprize me that the award nights are zero, that property is always quite busy. As a very "non - typical" CY (It is a converted property, I think it started as a Compri or Doubletree club) it is much nicer with room layout and amenities that are better than any CY I've stayed in. Also, parking is extremely limited which might be another reason to be stingy with award nights.

Now, I do have a real problem when a corporation creates a frequent use program that doesn't also require a set number of "uses" per property / per month. It is bait and switch marketing, plain and simple!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Well, empedocles, I gotta say I found this one a little hard to believe.

Sooo, I checked the web site myself. Got the same results you did.

Sooo, I called MR myslef. Got the same result you did. (well, almost. I only checked thru July and all of August, actually)

????

Is Marriott going to the "no avail for regular points, but no problem with the additional points model like the airlines?

Or, maybe, this is a "franchise" property that does not participate in Marriott Rewards, except peripherially?

Dunno, but this was a VERY interesting post. Color me concerned.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Followup-

I agree with DL Plat, that this is a very cool hotel. I like the room layouts.

However, I won't be staying there again anytime soon. I've had 4 stays there over the past 2 years, 3 of 4 have had billing problems. My last one they charged me for the "anytime" award stay I mentioned above, which I am currently fighting.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:30 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
sounds like they're taking customer (dis)service lessons from the Renaissance LAX....

Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:54 pm

Is this the Courtyard at Century Blvd?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Why don't you stay down the street at the CY El Segundo?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LXGreg:
Is this the Courtyard at Century Blvd?

Thanks,
Greg
</font>
Yep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.