Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President

Hi Team,

I made a booking for a hotel in the bay area as all the hotels were selling out quickly (it was hard to find a hotel less than 300 per night).

When I went to check-in the Front Desk Agent (FDA) informed me that Marriott had an issue with the system and they could not honor my reservation. I asked about booking me another hotel for being Platinum, plus the 100 dollars in cash and 90000 points (this is a Fairfield inn) - She said I had to contact Marriott for that. So while in the parking lot, I contacted Marriott Customer Support and she asked to speak to the FDA who confirmed that there were no hotels available within 60 miles, so I ended up sleeping in my car.

So my question is, what is the policy when the Hotel cannot abide by the T&C (i.e. booking me another night) & does Marriott pay out the $100 and 90,000 points?

There seemed to be a bit of back and fourth; the FDA told me it was Marriott's fault, & Marriott told me it was the hotels fault (they didn't close their inventory).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Holy crap. This is a bad one. I would absolutely push hard on this-both at the same time. One thing we know for sure-We know its not your fault. I'd attempt to get them both on an email thread. I think you are do much more than the guarantee having to sleep in a car. I'd put this all over social media that you cannot get the answer on the $$ and the points and that frankly you want more. Keep your foot on the gas.
clarkef, lougord99, KRSW and 8 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:51 pm

This sounds like one of those "nuclear option" scenarios to me...reaching out to travel publication ombudsmen, mailing a hand-signed certified paper letter to the CEO's office, etc. Bad times.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What time did the OP try to check in? No hotel rooms within 60 miles at ANY price sounds extreme. Did the OP verify this? (I'm wondering whether there was space somewhere, but the hotel was too cheap to pay for it.) Was there some big special event in the Bay Area?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What time did the OP try to check in? No hotel rooms within 60 miles at ANY price sounds extreme. Did the OP verify this? (I'm wondering whether there was space somewhere, but the hotel was too cheap to pay for it.) Was there some big special event in the Bay Area?
Every hotel in the Bay Area sold out, I somehow doubt it. I don't think you can blame sleeping in your car on Marriott.
osotoc likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Every hotel in the Bay Area sold out, I somehow doubt it. I don't think you can blame sleeping in your car on Marriott.
Does the OP really *KNOW* that every hotel was actually sold out of was the OP just told this by the hotel? What about that Presidential Suite at the Four Seasons? (Top room category, luxury hotel, not in the Starriott family, etc. so that the hotel that was booked would not have wanted to pay for it?) I'm not so willing to accept what the front desk agent said, especially given that AFAIK the $100 should have been paid to the OP in cash instantly.

I do blame Marriot/this particular hotel as the OP did have a reservation.
EDIflyer and newbiztraveler like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Was the hotel denying that your reservation existed?

I would have been on my phone, looking for any hotel room at all, while I was standing in the lobby. Zero rooms in a 60-mile radius: I'd be surprised if that was even true on the day the Super Bowl was there. Somebody had a room - a Motel 6 for $300 a night or a Four Seasons for $999 a night. Assuming you had proof of your reservation, Marriott should have booked you that room and given you the cash/points.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have seen this happen-not sleeping in a car-but a disconnect with inventory. We checked in at the RC Tysons Corner a year or two ago. Wanted an upgrade as we were on FHR. They said they were sold out-overbooked. The website showed nearly every room available to reserve. The FD MGR was really mad and called to have the inventory taken down.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, did you just rely on the FD to look for another room at only Marriott branded hotels? Or did you start looking for a room only at Marriott branded hotels? Or did you look at any other brand hotel? I live in the Bay Area and find it hard to believe there was 0 rooms anywhere at any brand within a 60 mile radius. Need more info.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No hotel rooms within 60 miles at ANY price sounds extreme. Did the OP verify this? (I'm wondering whether there was space somewhere, but the hotel was too cheap to pay for it.) Was there some big special event in the Bay Area?
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Every hotel in the Bay Area sold out, I somehow doubt it.
It happens a couple times a year during the big conferences (OneWorld, DreamForce). I'd be a little surprised if it were true in July.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It happens a couple times a year during the big conferences (OneWorld, DreamForce). I'd be a little surprised if it were true in July.
It has also happened when weather caused mass cancelations out of SFO and other local airports.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
First, I have had trouble getting a last minute reservation in SF, too, especially if one of the big conventions is in the city. I believe the poster.

Second, I had a very similar situation with a Hilton family hotel. Their system had been down throughout the day. I called the hotel directly and they told me to keep trying online. Eventually I got a reservation with a confirmation email. When I got to the hotel desk clerk gave me a similar story that they were not going to honor the reservation. I called the 800 number, they reached out to the hotel manager and I immediately posted on TA. Ultimately they found me a room at the hotel, did wind up walking others that night, apologized and gave me a buck load of points.

TA works well for situations like yours. Post there and the hotel and the chain will get in touch with you fast.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by lexdevil
It has also happened when weather caused mass cancelations out of SFO and other local airports.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
First, I have had trouble getting a last minute reservation in SF, too, especially if one of the big conventions is in the city. I believe the poster.
Apparently we were all posting at the same time and probably have all been in SF during that Oracle conference.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Couple questions here:

1. Why not name the hotel? So they walked you and offered zilch in return? I’d think people would want to know what hotels operate like that.

2. Why didn’t customer service force them to at least to pay up on the guarantee when you were on the phone?

They definitely need to pay out the $100 and 90,000 points, assuming you have confirmation of the reservation and Plat status, that part’s not up for debate.

They could probably argue against additional cash since you didn’t technically spend any to sleep elsewhere, but I’d think an additional chunk of points should be necessary.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Love to have Pooker answer some of these questions ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.