Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeanie
I read all of the previous posts in this thread. I make reservations with Marriott over the internet so that I can get an email confirmation with the terms of that reservation. If the OP guaranteed the reservation with a credit card at 3 pm the day of arrival, then that should have been honored. If he had no showed, they would have charged his card for the night anyway, regardless of availability.

One of the main reasons why hotels join a chain like Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt/IHG is because of the benefits of being a part of a centralized reservation and marketing system like Marriott provides. If every hotel around the world was independent, it would be a lot more complicated for the hotels to fill their rooms and customers to book rooms. This whole idea that the reservation should be seen differently if it is booked directly with the hotel or over the Marriott website seems a bit absurd to me. The whole concept is to centralize the booking process to make it more efficient for everyone.

I hope the OP lets us know what the final response from Marriott corporate will be. Both the hotel and Marriott should have done better here.
Chain hotels are a primarily N. American invention jeanie. In many other parts of the world, while you do still find Marriotts etc. you also find large numbers of independent hotels, all of which do not have any centralized booking system. How do you think they manage to operate? In Europe for example, I never stay in a chain hotel, there are far too many unique and more interesting independent hotels available. In N. America, I do stay in chain hotels, usually because there is no satisfactory independent alternative to stay in.

You may see a centralized system as more 'efficient' but obviously in this case it was far from efficient. What the OP got was 2 people each blaming the other and neither solving the problem. What I see is simply an added layer being added to a transaction between the hotel and the guest. It isn't hard to understand that each time you add something, you increase the chances of something going wrong. That is simple logic.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
What the OP got was 2 people each blaming the other and neither solving the problem. What I see is simply an added layer being added to a transaction between the hotel and the guest. It isn't hard to understand that each time you add something, you increase the chances of something going wrong. That is simple logic.
This is a hotel issue. Hotels are responsible for meeting the reservation guarantee which includes providing the benefit and finding the room for the OP.

The person at the FD was lazy and uncreative. I get the convention during that time but when I had to find a room recently when everything was sold out, I got the manager of the LAX Hyatt to unblock a room for me -- as they had someone checkout for a late night flight and the hotel was able to clean the room. I know the LAX Renn shuts down reservations with a couple of rooms left as well since they often have high value walkins. I don't know whether this property has meeting space but they could have done something.

Of course ... while I understand the OP was tired and Ok with sleeping in the car, it always helps to offer a solution. For example, when I had a flight that went mechanical a couple of weeks ago and I was going to miss my connection, I used expertflyer to find a viable alternative that wasn't a normal connection, called the AA EXP line, asked them to put me on that flight, and they quickly did so without charge.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
This is a hotel issue. Hotels are responsible for meeting the reservation guarantee which includes providing the benefit and finding the room for the OP.

The person at the FD was lazy and uncreative. I get the convention during that time but when I had to find a room recently when everything was sold out, I got the manager of the LAX Hyatt to unblock a room for me -- as they had someone checkout for a late night flight and the hotel was able to clean the room. I know the LAX Renn shuts down reservations with a couple of rooms left as well since they often have high value walkins. I don't know whether this property has meeting space but they could have done something.

Of course ... while I understand the OP was tired and Ok with sleeping in the car, it always helps to offer a solution. For example, when I had a flight that went mechanical a couple of weeks ago and I was going to miss my connection, I used expertflyer to find a viable alternative that wasn't a normal connection, called the AA EXP line, asked them to put me on that flight, and they quickly did so without charge.
All you have done is somewhat confirm what I am saying C17. You got the hotel manager to unblock a room. Central reservations didn't do that for you and in fact couldn't have, they didn't know all the unique circumstances that existed at the hotel on that particular night.

There are 2 separate issues here. One is the discussion about who should have solved the problem, the hotel FDA or Marriott's Customer Service. The second is, who is it better to book through, the hotel FDA or Marriott's (in this case) central reservation system. Your example does not make a case for it being better to book through central reservations, it simply shows who can actually make a decision about that specific property at the time of the problem.

You dealt with the manager of the hotel, a person at the property who was in a position to try and help you. You did not have a CS person saying 'it's the hotel's fault' and an FDA saying, 'it's Marriott reservation system's fault'. The OP got 'ping ponged' between the two. Nothing like your example.

People seem to have difficulty understanding that it doesn't really matter who is 'responsible', all that matters is the reality of what happens. The OP didn't get his problem solved. By booking through Marriott central reservation, the FDA and the Marriott CS person were able to 'ping pong' the responsibility between them, because they could! I suggest removing that possibility by booking directly with the property. Who then could they 'ping pong' you with?

Let's remember, the OP ended up dealing with two people, not a 'rule book'. People being people, will often try to put the responsibility for a problem on someone else if they can. That shouldn't be news to anyone. But if you eliminate one of those 2 people, there is no one else for the 1 person left, to try and put the responsibility onto.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
All you have done is somewhat confirm what I am saying C17. You got the hotel manager to unblock a room. Central reservations didn't do that for you and in fact couldn't have, they didn't know all the unique circumstances that existed at the hotel on that particular night.

There are 2 separate issues here. One is the discussion about who should have solved the problem, the hotel FDA or Marriott's Customer Service. The second is, who is it better to book through, the hotel FDA or Marriott's (in this case) central reservation system. Your example does not make a case for it being better to book through central reservations, it simply shows who can actually make a decision about that specific property at the time of the problem.

You dealt with the manager of the hotel, a person at the property who was in a position to try and help you. You did not have a CS person saying 'it's the hotel's fault' and an FDA saying, 'it's Marriott reservation system's fault'. The OP got 'ping ponged' between the two. Nothing like your example.

People seem to have difficulty understanding that it doesn't really matter who is 'responsible', all that matters is the reality of what happens. The OP didn't get his problem solved. By booking through Marriott central reservation, the FDA and the Marriott CS person were able to 'ping pong' the responsibility between them, because they could! I suggest removing that possibility by booking directly with the property. Who then could they 'ping pong' you with?

Let's remember, the OP ended up dealing with two people, not a 'rule book'. People being people, will often try to put the responsibility for a problem on someone else if they can. That shouldn't be news to anyone. But if you eliminate one of those 2 people, there is no one else for the 1 person left, to try and put the responsibility onto.

What are you talking about? The difference between booking directly with the hotel and with central reservations is something you have made up in your head. Most big chain hotels won't even let you book directly with them unless you are at the desk in person or if it's for a special event and you need a block of rooms or something. When you call the hotel to book, they will just transfer you to the reservation phone line. Front desks at hotels are often way too busy with hotel guests to also deal with reservations.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jul 29, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I suggest removing that possibility by booking directly with the property. Who then could they 'ping pong' you with?
In my very similar experience with a Hampton Inn I learned Hilton prohibits its hotels from accepting reservations directly. The entire problem was caused because someone accepted reservations directly at at the hotel, via phone. When I called the hotel directly earlier in the day the person who answered told me she could not take reservations, she knew the Hilton system was down but I should keep trying because that was the only way one could make a reservation. The evening clerk did take reservations by scribbling down names, The people she spoke to were walked (the hotel handled her blunder well) and my understanding is she was fired.

Your advice to call the hotel directly is terrible advice. At best calling the hotel is irrelevant given the reservation system stands in the shoes of the hotel. At worst you could find yourself without a real reservation if the chain has a rule like Hilton's.
clarkef, jdrtravel, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Marriott makes traveler sleep in car?

Did anyone seek Meg Butler's post that Marriott made "made her sleep in her car"? Can anyone really believe this ? I hope Marriott is lurking out there I would be interested in an answer making this poor woman sleep in her car.

Platinum Marriott Member Forced to Sleep in Car Despite Guarantee

FlyerTalker pooker shared this unfortunate experience with a recent Marriott stay in the forum yesterday:

Hi Team,

I made a booking for a hotel in the bay area as all the hotels were selling out quickly (it was hard to find a hotel less than 300 per night).

When I went to check-in the Front Desk Agent (FDA) informed me that Marriott had an issue with the system and they could not honor my reservation. I asked about booking me another hotel for being Platinum, plus the 100 dollars in cash and 90000 points (this is a Fairfield inn) – She said I had to contact Marriott for that. So while in the parking lot, I contacted Marriott Customer Support and she asked to speak to the FDA who confirmed that there were no hotels available within 60 miles, so I ended up sleeping in my car.

So my question is, what is the policy when the Hotel cannot abide by the T&C (i.e. booking me another night) & does Marriott pay out the $100 and 90,000 points?

There seemed to be a bit of back and fourth; the FDA told me it was Marriott’s fault, & Marriott told me it was the hotels fault (they didn’t close their inventory).

Have any advice? Join the FlyerTalk in the comments’ section here.

CLICK TO ADD A COMMENT
MARRIOTT
JULY 27, 2018

MEG BUTLER
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You might have checked to see if a thread already existed on the topic & which is linked to in the post you copied Mods, please merge.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:11 am

Mods, please put this post with the existing thread or the identical post the poster put in the Starwood thread.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Well ... in the Hyatt case, he told me he would unblock a room and then had my book it at Hyatt.com. In the last time I needed this at the LAX Renaissance, they just said they would hold the room until I get there (I probably stay there 5-10 times a year). In my example with the Ren, I wouldn't be covered by any guarantee.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What are you talking about? The difference between booking directly with the hotel and with central reservations is something you have made up in your head. Most big chain hotels won't even let you book directly with them unless you are at the desk in person or if it's for a special event and you need a block of rooms or something. When you call the hotel to book, they will just transfer you to the reservation phone line. Front desks at hotels are often way too busy with hotel guests to also deal with reservations.
Sigh, why do people always seem to think that if someone says something that doesn't match up with their own experiences, then that person must be wrong or it is 'something you made up in your head'?

On what basis jdrtravel, would you presume to know what actually happens when I phone a hotel and speak to an FDA? Do you really want to say that to me?

A few months back, I phoned a Marriott Residence Inn to make a booking. I hope you will acknowledge that if the FDA had transferred me to central reservations, I would have been aware of having been transferred.

I started the conversation by telling the FDA that I was looking at booking 2 rooms for 3 people on X date. I needed 2 rooms as my wife's sister would be with us as our guest. However, as retirees on a somewhat limited income, I had a problem and needed his help. I was hoping he could do something for me in regards to cost.

Now do you really believe that having said that to him, his response would be, 'one moment please while I transfer you to reservations, I'm little more than a robot''? Do you think that would have been an appropriate response by him after what I had said to him? A conversation between 2 people generally has to make some sense.

Perhaps given your beliefs you would have expected him to say, 'I can't make reservations, I only deal with guests who are in the hotel, I will have to transfer you to central reservations.' He might have said something like that but in fact he did not.

What he did was respond to what I had told him, my request for help and came back with, 'the lowest price I can offer you for 2 normal rooms on your dates is X.' I replied (paraphrasing) with something like, 'I'm sure that is a fair price but it is a bit more than I hoped to spend. Can you offer me anything else?' He replied, 'give me a second' and I could then hear him clicking keys on his computer. After about 30 seconds he came back with, 'we are pretty fully booked on your dates so I can't do any better on 2 rooms but I have an idea. We have a 2 bedroom suite available. It has a living area, dining and kitchen area and 2 separate bedrooms, both with ensuite bathrooms. As we are a week away from your date, we have less chance of renting it than we do of getting bookings for 2 normal rooms, so I can offer you the suite for $50 less than the total for the 2 rooms. Will that work for the 3 of you?'

I booked the suite. What happened was 2 people had a conversation, no different than if I had been standing at the desk. I asked for help, the FDA tried to give me help. Wonder of wonders I guess that someone would do that rather than transfer me to central reservations. My oh my, how many 'rules' did that break. I'm pretty sure what also happened was the FDA knew what leeway the hotel owner would allow him under certain circumstances in regards to discounting a price to get a booking. An understanding that probably did not comply with Marriott's 'rules' in that regard. Anyone who thinks any franchise owner always complies with all the franchise rules all the time is pretty naive I would say.

So no jdrtravel, the difference between booking directly with the hotel vs. central reservations is not 'something I made up in my head', as this real life example should clearly show you. I make bookings directly with hotels that are in chains with 'rules', all the time. I do so to eliminate the type of situation the OP found himself in here with 2 people playing 'ping pong' and also so that I can negotiate with he hotel for a better offer. I'm pretty good at it if you will allow me a small brag. I'm sure I often get a better offer than central reservations who have to follow the 'rules' would give me.

And for CJKatl, I would mention that yes, I also book directly with Hampton Inns as well as other Hilton properties. I don't use their central reservations. If you read what you yourself wrote, you said Hilton 'prohibits' direct reservations and yet go on to say the hotel took a direct reservation. What you really meant was that the Hilton 'rules' prohibit it but that the hotels ignore the rule. In other words, Hilton can't actually 'prohibit' anything obviously. Only the hotel could do that.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm glad you reached out to them, in the end it's the HOTEL's mistake and no one else's for not properly controlling their inventory - I'm certain Customer Care will do right to make it up to you but sorry it happened in the first place....it shouldn't have (I can see how a FDA can believe it's not the hotel's fault but it isn't....)
It does not matter. They both screwed up. Under Summers v. Tice, 33 Cal.2d 80, 199 P.2d 1 (1948), it does not matter which one screwed up. Let them sort it out between themselves. IANAL yet.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Since the OP was a Platinum, did he still get lounge access?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Did anyone seek Meg Butler's post that Marriott made "made her sleep in her car"? Can anyone really believe this ? I hope Marriott is lurking out there I would be interested in an answer making this poor woman sleep in her car.

Platinum Marriott Member Forced to Sleep in Car Despite Guarantee

FlyerTalker pooker shared this unfortunate experience with a recent Marriott stay in the forum yesterday:

Have any advice? Join the FlyerTalk in the comments’ section here.

CLICK TO ADD A COMMENT
MARRIOTT
JULY 27, 2018

MEG BUTLER
Sorry my error I do apologize. I was taken back by this post as she has made other post that were taken down as well.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:04 pm

And for CJKatl, I would mention that yes, I also book directly with Hampton Inns as well as other Hilton properties. I don't use their central reservations. If you read what you yourself wrote, you said Hilton 'prohibits' direct reservations and yet go on to say the hotel took a direct reservation. What you really meant was tihat the Hilton 'rules' prohibit it but that the hotels ignore the rule. In other words, Hilton can't actually 'prohibit' anything obviously. Only the hotel could do that.
Sigh. Hilton posted what I stated in its response on TA. Sigh, Hilton must be wrong about its own rules. Sigh, I thought Hilton and the hotel could sign a contract spelling out how reservations could and could not be made, but sigh, apparently you know a way around contract law in addition to knowing a way around agency law. Sigh, I guess under your logic a Hilton can put up signs that say "Fairfield Inn" since Hilton cannot prohibit anything.

Surely anyone reading this thread has seen that all the posters but one believe calling the hotel directly for a reservation is a terrible idea. Whether one makes a reservation online does not change the hotel;s responsibility one bit. Most of us are not going to call the hotel to beg for a lower price because we think someone should be able to stay in the hotel despite not being able to afford the room. Most of us pay for the second room ourselves rather than try to make it the hotel's issue.

BTW, for all your glowing reports about how begging is better done directly with the hotel, doesn't it seem hotels prefer we use the central reservation system rather than their having to have staff available or distracted for reservations?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Sorry my error I do apologize. I was taken back by this post as she has made other post that were taken down as well.
OP put a picture of himself and his girlfriend in post # 44. Cute couple.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.