Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

I am not trying to 'bash' you in any way Pooker. You made your choices and that is entirely up to you. I was simply saying to others, not to you, that they were your choices and neither the hotel nor Marriott forced them onto you.

Some people however were more than happy to start 'bashing' the hotel as well as Marriott for the situation. That I do not agree with obviously.

I do think you have a case to make against Marriott and should pursue it. I think higher management at Marriott would be very unhappy to hear how their Customer Service Rep tried to put the blame on the hotel and did nothing to try and find you alternative accommodation for the night. Marriott confirmed the reservation and had a responsibility to make all reasonable efforts to solve the problem.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
Most of the time, if you directly call a hotel for a reservation, they will transfer you to Marriott Customer Service. Some full-service hotels still have staff to do it, but a Coutyard and below do not. Regardless, if it was made on-line, through customer service, or directly with a hotel, if you have a confirmation number, it's a Marriott problem. In the OP's case, Marriott didn't do much, if anything, to rectify the problem when it mattered most.

Don't blame the OP for using Marriott's preferred method of booking a room. The franchisees and the management company do everything they can to get customers to do their bookings on-line. It's 2018, not 1998.

I agree catocony, the bottom line is that it is a 'Marriott problem' and it was the Marriott Customer Service Rep who should have solved it rather than just trying to put the blame (and the problem) onto the hotel and the FDA.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arlflyer

Yeah, standard tough guy talk on the Internet; in real life sounds like a good way to end up getting Dr. Dao'ed.
Originally Posted by GoPhils

how would you “never let them walk you” if for example all of the rooms were already occupied with no one checking out? Force them to kick someone out of a room they’re already in?
Uhhh ... obviously, I can't force them to kick someone out of a room.

I would, however, have spoken with the manager on duty and the folks at Marriott to have them find me a place and comply with the program benefits on the spot.

Originally Posted by pooker
I am not mad in the least bit. I am in my 20's; Not the first or last time I will sleep in my car, I am sure. I only posted this thread because I was curious who was responsible for the Platinum Guarantee

I also posted this because I thought you guys might be interested.

I spent over 100K USD this year on flights & hotels & have very little time to be my own travel consultant; I like the chains because they are generally consistent.

For those of you who asked why I did not push harder - I know Front Desk Agent's do not make that much & I felt like she wasn't going to do much else. I don't argue with people - I have on the other hand sued large Corporations for not abiding by their promises, but that is few & far between.

Anyways, me and the GF are going to plan our Maldives Trip again - maybe I will work on my spelling if I have time. cheers :P
Thanks for posting! The Maldives trip sounds excellent and no problem on the spelling!

And while I've slept on the ground, on the hood, etc., this wasn't handled appropriately by Marriott or the property. I certainly get we're all second guessing after the fact and not late at night ... and maybe it wouldn't have been worth driving 50 miles to and open property. My suggestion in the future (as a tough guy on the internet ) if this happens to a plat guest is to insist they find you accommodations at a comparable property as part of the guarantee.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
ISome people however were more than happy to start 'bashing' the hotel as well as Marriott for the situation. That I do not agree with obviously.
So are you saying that if a hotel chooses to be a Marriott property we cannot rely on a confirmed Marriott reservation via the 800 number, website or app and should always call the hotel directly, even though most of us have been passed through to Marriott when we do that? Or that despite the hotel, by virtue of it's participation with Marriott, having assigned Marriott as its reservations agent, the ordinary laws of agency do not apply and the hotel is not responsible for the actions of its agent? How those rules of agency are waived when it comes to a third party guest who would reasonably believe Marriott is the reservation agent for the hotel, defies all known laws and common sense, but maybe your law school taught a different agency law.

If the hotel holds out the Marriott reservation system is a valid way to make a reservation which all Marriott properties do, then the individual hotel is responsible to the guest for the actions of its agent. So long as the agent was acting within the parameters of the agency, in this case the reservations system was taking reservations, the agent (Marriott) is standing in the shoes of the principal (the hotel) and is responsible to the third party for the agent's actions. The agent has a right to bind the hotel and the guest is justified in relying on the agent as though the agent were the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pooker
Wow, you guys are an interesting group, especially Dulcius & SkiAdcock.

I am not mad in the least bit. I am in my 20's; Not the first or last time I will sleep in my car, I am sure. I only posted this thread because I was curious who was responsible for the Platinum Guarantee
What Platinum Guarantee are you referring to? The only guarantee I have seen in the benefits that I think may be relevant to this thread is that you are guaranteed a room if you make the reservation at least 48 hours in advance. You made the reservation at 3:00 that day, well out of the guarantee time frame. But, you did have a reservation and confirmation so this is totally different than the guarantee as that would not apply. Unless there is some other Platinum guarantee I can't find.

Or are you simply referring to the compensation for being walked that the hotel seems to not want to honor?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:33 pm

I don't see where I did any 'victim blaming' arlflyer.
You implied that the OP acted improperly by booking through the chain of which the hotel is part, rather than by making contact with people inside the physical building.

When you book regional jet flights, do you work directly with Air Wisconsin, Republic, etc. since you do not trust AA/UA/DL?

Any dispute is then between the hotel and myself.
Uh huh, ok. Personally, I'd rather have a dispute involve a global hotel chain of which I am a loyal member and which sees all of my spend and understands my value as a customer than be between myself and some fly-by-night franchisee who sees me for only one night. "I PERSONALLY confirmed it with Fred at the front desk!" isn't going to go a long way, especially since you're implying that you'd be fine with there being no trace of the reservation in the Marriott system. Just have 'em write it down on a post-it note, like in the good ole days...

Also, learn how to use the multi-quote button.
clarkef, KRSW and diburning like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
What Platinum Guarantee are you referring to? The only guarantee I have seen in the benefits that I think may be relevant to this thread is that you are guaranteed a room if you make the reservation at least 48 hours in advance. You made the reservation at 3:00 that day, well out of the guarantee time frame. But, you did have a reservation and confirmation so this is totally different than the guarantee as that would not apply. Unless there is some other Platinum guarantee I can't find.

Or are you simply referring to the compensation for being walked that the hotel seems to not want to honor?
I think you are talking about the "48-Hour Guaranteed Availability" and everyone else about the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee".
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Moootz
I think you are talking about the "48-Hour Guaranteed Availability" and everyone else about the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee".
The guaranty extends to Silver and above. From the T&Cs:
The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I wonder what would have happened if the OP called last minute and said "I can't make it, but its someone else's fault..." I'm sure he wouldnt have been charged as a no show
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If it had happened to me I would have slept in the Hotel lobby since I don't rent a car when I travel.
clarkef, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply.
That's no "guarantee", unfortunately. All it is is something called a "guarantee", but it just means:

IF there is an "open and operational" hotel "nearby":
1. The hotel where you booked will pay for accommodations around the same price.
2. The hotel where you booked will pay for those accommodations "nearby".
3. The hotel will give you some kind of benefit for the inconvenience.

So if hotels "nearby" don't have anything available that's comparable, you're up the creek.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Uhhh ... obviously, I can't force them to kick someone out of a room.

I would, however, have spoken with the manager on duty and the folks at Marriott to have them find me a place and comply with the program benefits on the spot.
So what if all rooms are already occupied?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I think some people do not have very high English comprehension skills. Either that or the OP does not have very good English composition skills.

As I read the OP, the booking was made on the Marriott website, not directly with the hotel. So the hotel did not confirm a booking, Marriott did. There is a difference.

The hotel did not 'walk' the OP, the hotel stated that Marriott reservations had a problem and it was up to them to solve it. If that is indeed what happened, I am in agreement with the hotel, they had no responsibility for the problem, they had no reservation!

The OP called Marriott Customer Service who then spoke to the FDA. I see no indication in the OP that Marriott CS made any attempt to find another hotel. I see no indication that the OP made any attempt to find another hotel. It appears both simply accepted the FDA's comment re '60 miles' as if it were a fact.

I think the OP most definitely has a bone to pick with Marriott, but not with the hotel directly.

As for sleeping in the car, obviously not every hotel room in 60 miles was full, that statement is simply beyond belief. The OP 'made his bed and has to lie in it' seems quite appropriate. No one is responsible for that other than the OP and no compensation from anyone for that decision is due. But Marriott is definitely responsible for confirming a reservation for a room that was not available in the hotel.
By being affiliated with Marriott the hotel has agreed to follow the Marriott Rewards program. The reservation may have been made through Marriott, but it was FOR that particular hotel, and confirmed. You can “comprehend” the meaning of confirmed, right?

The terms and conditions for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee states the hotel is the one to pay it out -
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi - maybe the hotel has an argument to get reimbursed by Marriott, but they should have paid it. OP never said the hotel said they didn’t have the reservation, OP said they just said they couldn’t honor it. Or are you saying hotels don’t have to honor reservations made through Expedia, etc?

OP, if nothing else you should still push for the $100 and 90k points. 90k points will help a lot towards another Maldives trip (assuming you’re staying at SPG there).
mcgahat, clarkef, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
What do you think "getting walked" means, exactly? Because that sounds like getting walked.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What time did the OP try to check in? No hotel rooms within 60 miles at ANY price sounds extreme. Did the OP verify this? (I'm wondering whether there was space somewhere, but the hotel was too cheap to pay for it.) Was there some big special event in the Bay Area?
When's the last time you've booked a hotel in the bay area? The mid-week hotel situation is downright absurd in Silicon Valley due to tech. I've been traveling out there nearly every week since May. If I don't book almost a month in advance, I won't get a room at Hilton or Marriott properties anywhere near where I'm working. And even then the rooms are $600+/night without a corporate code, for the likes of a Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Courtyard.

I have no problem believing Marriott properties were sold out, but I'm sure there was some other hotel available even at the last minute. When Marriott walks you, sleeping in a car is a choice. Staying in a non-affiliated hotel is a choice.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.