Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
That's no "guarantee", unfortunately. All it is is something called a "guarantee", but it just means:

IF there is an "open and operational" hotel "nearby":
1. The hotel where you booked will pay for accommodations around the same price.
2. The hotel where you booked will pay for those accommodations "nearby".
3. The hotel will give you some kind of benefit for the inconvenience.

So if hotels "nearby" don't have anything available that's comparable, you're up the creek.
I do believe you are putting too much in the use of the word "nearby". Given MR is good at including wiggle words in their terms, I have seen some properties only using a defined list of properties (maybe held by the same owner, or part of the chain). But I read the terms to mean ANY nearby (distance questionable) and I seriously doubt the property went this direction. If Marriott can show the reservation was acknowledged by the property system, then the property should be on the hook for the money and points PLUS appropriate compensation as though a room was found (with night and points for same). MR can put these forward to OP and then charge the hotel for same.

Too many CSRs (and FDCs for that matter) will make up stories to fit the situation as it is easier to send the customer away than try to fix the problem. We need to know what's due and request they follow their own rules.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If a hotel affiliates with Marriott to gain the massive business and other benefits that affiliation provides, then they also need to act as a full representative of the brand and provide full assistance to the customer. If OP had a confirmed reservation, a computer problem is not an acceptable excuse (regardless of elite status).

Worst case scenario, find a rollaway bed and a place to put it for the night. Could be a conference room or even an office, but don't let the guest sleep in the parking lot.

While I would have pushed harder than OP did, OP should not have had to push harder. When front desk stated that there were no rooms available within 60 miles, this is when the hotel should have gotten creative and found a solution, realizing that guest had no place to go.
clarkef, krazykanuck, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by JackE
It's a little known fact that a 60-mile radius is 11,310 square miles, which is separately larger than Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island. Not to mention D.C. and all U.S. territories combined.
Yes, but in San Francisco (for example) half of that area is water and some additional chunk is non-developed mountains, etc. (remember, you've got a lot of area that is environmentally protected). That being said, it should sweep in San Jose.

Edit: To be clear, I tend to think the proper answer to this is "the hotel screwed up but Marriott should still honor their apparent (and substantially touted) commitment regardless of it being their fault and should swat the hotel on the ear." It is one thing to play games with a BRG, entirely another to do so with an availability guarantee.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and GoPhils like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Yes, but in San Francisco (for example) half of that area is water and some additional chunk is non-developed mountains, etc. (remember, you've got a lot of area that is environmentally protected). That being said, it should sweep in San Jose.

Edit: To be clear, I tend to think the proper answer to this is "the hotel screwed up but Marriott should still honor their apparent (and substantially touted) commitment regardless of it being their fault and should swat the hotel on the ear." It is one thing to play games with a BRG, entirely another to do so with an availability guarantee.
Generally, the guarantee is paid by the hotel and not from MR. I can see the FDC not wanting to get tagged with the error, but that's a management issue and MR may be able to help with that. If they can prove the rez was actually loaded to the property system but not honored for their failure, it should be on them fully. If Marriott failed to get it loaded properly (system failure, timing issue, whatever, but out of the property control) then MR should be on the hook.

It's very unreasonable to think any single property knows every possible property in their area and may avoid the high-end knowing they won't get a good rate. But given the hour and OPs willingness to choose a solution, not sure I'd do anything different. I have seen people snoozing in the lobby waiting for a room in the morning.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's very unreasonable to think any single property knows every possible property in their area .

It's called the internet.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I read all of the previous posts in this thread. I make reservations with Marriott over the internet so that I can get an email confirmation with the terms of that reservation. If the OP guaranteed the reservation with a credit card at 3 pm the day of arrival, then that should have been honored. If he had no showed, they would have charged his card for the night anyway, regardless of availability.

One of the main reasons why hotels join a chain like Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt/IHG is because of the benefits of being a part of a centralized reservation and marketing system like Marriott provides. If every hotel around the world was independent, it would be a lot more complicated for the hotels to fill their rooms and customers to book rooms. This whole idea that the reservation should be seen differently if it is booked directly with the hotel or over the Marriott website seems a bit absurd to me. The whole concept is to centralize the booking process to make it more efficient for everyone.

I hope the OP lets us know what the final response from Marriott corporate will be. Both the hotel and Marriott should have done better here.
clarkef, lexdevil, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jeanie
I hope the OP lets us know what the final response from Marriott corporate will be. Both the hotel and Marriott should have done better here.
And the OP needs to follow through on this. The OP mentioned being young and unfazed by having to sleep in the car and seems the non-confrontational type. OP, keep in mind the next person this happens to might be a less seasoned traveler, a parent at the end of a long road trip with a child or someone else less equipped to deal with the issue at the time, Your making sure this is brought to the attention of the right people within both organizations, the hotel and Marriott, makes it less likely anyone else will get the bad treatment they gave you.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I do believe you are putting too much in the use of the word "nearby". Given MR is good at including wiggle words in their terms, I have seen some properties only using a defined list of properties (maybe held by the same owner, or part of the chain). But I read the terms to mean ANY nearby (distance questionable) and I seriously doubt the property went this direction. If Marriott can show the reservation was acknowledged by the property system, then the property should be on the hook for the money and points PLUS appropriate compensation as though a room was found (with night and points for same). MR can put these forward to OP and then charge the hotel for same.

Too many CSRs (and FDCs for that matter) will make up stories to fit the situation as it is easier to send the customer away than try to fix the problem. We need to know what's due and request they follow their own rules.
My point is that the “guarantee” is subjective fluff that isn’t worth anything.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
CJ, I again agree with you. People rarely complain. I don't mind it, and I feel that by my complaining, I might be helping others in the future.
clarkef likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:28 pm

That's no "guarantee", unfortunately. All it is is something called a "guarantee", but it just means:

IF there is an "open and operational" hotel "nearby":
1. The hotel where you booked will pay for accommodations around the same price.
2. The hotel where you booked will pay for those accommodations "nearby".
3. The hotel will give you some kind of benefit for the inconvenience.

So if hotels "nearby" don't have anything available that's comparable, you're up the creek.
The "open and operational" refers to the hotel you originally booked, not other hotels nearby.

amanuensis and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
My point is that the “guarantee” is subjective fluff that isn’t worth anything.
I disagree. Marriott has a couple “guarantees” that aren’t worth anything (such as “guaranteed 4pm checkout”), but this one certainly is. After all, it is called the “Ultimate Reservation Guarantee.” And it’s “worth” is clearly defined - $100-$200 and at least 90,000 points depending on the brand, plus paying for the night somewhere else. Maybe a property can weasel out of paying for the night somewhere else, but they can’t (and shouldn’t be allowed to try to) weasel out of the clearly defined points and cash compensation.

It appears the Fairfield Inn Tracy failed to deliver on this core principle of the MR program and didn’t care that a Platinum member slept in his car. If I ever find myself in that area, I know I sure as heck won’t be staying there.
C17PSGR, mcgahat, clarkef and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I agree catocony, the bottom line is that it is a 'Marriott problem' and it was the Marriott Customer Service Rep who should have solved it rather than just trying to put the blame (and the problem) onto the hotel and the FDA.
The hotel is the one that confirmed. They're using Marriott's software. If this was back in the 90s you might have a point . Nowadays, the hotel has its reservations handled via Marriott. It's not the case of Marriott connecting to the hotels system . The Marriott reservation agent is working as an agent of the hotel when booking. The hotel was in the wrong and the one that should've fixed.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Guys, I will not abandon the thread and will update you as soon as I hear back. I am flying back to cali today from the east coast. Maybe you guys can help me out with responses. I will update you guys when the Manager responds
C17PSGR, margarita girl and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tizzette

The "open and operational" refers to the hotel you originally booked, not other hotels nearby.

In fact there contrary to that poster’s suggestion there is no ‘nearby’ mentioned on the “open and operational” language. The point of this requirement is to void the guarantee in relation to properties that had to shut down due to health or environmental emergencies or any other unforeseen reason, failed to meet their opening date or left the Marriott system by the check-in date.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

In fact there contrary to that poster’s suggestion there is no ‘nearby’ mentioned on the “open and operational” language. The point of this requirement is to void the guarantee in relation to properties that had to shut down due to health or environmental emergencies or any other unforeseen reason, failed to meet their opening date or left the Marriott system by the check-in date.
But, of course, has nothing to do with an open hotel that effectively blew off a guest and let them sleep in a car.

They shouldn't do this to anyone and the hotel should have gone into crisis mode to figure out a solution. Of course, in addition to the hotel fixing it as they should for anyone, they should have taken care of the guarantee on the spot which only compounded the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.