Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by jayer
So Pooker buddy; I'm curious. Did you ever get past the dueling finger-pointing and blame game and get a sense what actually happened? Or just drop and roll on with life? Or did I just miss that?
If dude is doing month-long stays in the Bay Area as one of his earlier posts indicated, he probably realized at some point that his time is worth more than arguing about this. Hopefully he got some comp, which he deserves, but if it's going to take hours and hours of fighting an uphill battle, sometimes just not worth it.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JackE
It's a little known fact that a 60-mile radius is 11,310 square miles, which is separately larger than Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island. Not to mention D.C. and all U.S. territories combined.
It is a little known fact that the area of a circle is pi times radius squared?
Doesn't everyone learn this is school?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not convinced by the statement about Massachusetts. My guess is that, if we think of the state as roughly a rectangle, it's much more than 60 miles from north to south (maybe a hundred miles?) and at least several times that from east to west. So if I rearrange some little rectangles, it looks to me like an inscribed circle, which should of course have less area than the square containing it. This is without using pencil and paper or looking up distances, so my estimates might be wrong.

Another way of thinking about the area is that if we put the center in San Francisco, 60 miles takes us close to Sacramento and we would get a circle that's roughly half under water since SF is on the coast, again by moving some little pieces of "pie" around since the coastline isn't a straight line from north to south in the Bay Area--although we shouldn't forget that the bay itself is under water too.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This happened to a coworker in the past. He had them set up a cot in one of their meeting rooms and slept there. A much better solution imo than a car.
I did this once when traveling with my family as a kid; I thought it was fun and my parents were relieved to just have some clean and safe place to spend the night. It was the source of family stories for years.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not convinced by the statement about Massachusetts. My guess is that, if we think of the state as roughly a rectangle, it's much more than 60 miles from north to south (maybe a hundred miles?) and at least several times that from east to west. So if I rearrange some little rectangles, it looks to me like an inscribed circle, which should of course have less area than the square containing it. This is without using pencil and paper or looking up distances, so my estimates might be wrong.

Another way of thinking about the area is that if we put the center in San Francisco, 60 miles takes us close to Sacramento and we would get a circle that's roughly half under water since SF is on the coast, again by moving some little pieces of "pie" around since the coastline isn't a straight line from north to south in the Bay Area--although we shouldn't forget that the bay itself is under water too.
Looks like it’s about 60 miles North to South (Longmeadow to Guilford VT) and 130 miles East to West (West Stockbridge to Boston).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:57 am

OK, way off. It's a half circle that fits in the rectangle, with just a bit of room to spare.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by spamkiller
It does not matter. They both screwed up. Under Summers v. Tice, 33 Cal.2d 80, 199 P.2d 1 (1948), it does not matter which one screwed up. Let them sort it out between themselves. IANAL yet.
I believe you miss read what I stated, MI will make it right even though they'll hold the hotel accountable - seems to fit with the case you quoted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.