Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Senior Discount - must it be primary hotel guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Quick question: I'm looking to book a stay with my dad (>62 y/o) at a Boston Marriott, where they are offering a senior discount rate. Can I make the reservation under my name (and hence, my Marriott rewards number) using the senior discount rate and check-in with my dad present (he will be sharing the same room with me).

Or does the reservation have to be under his name (and hence, a different Marriott rewards number).

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Yes, as long as he is staying in one of the rooms you can book up to two rooms at the senior rate. So you two sharing a room is fine, too.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:06 am

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
I checked this recently with Marriott Customer Service & what aaupgrade says is 100% correct.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry - to confirm:

1) Yes, I can book it under my name. or
2) Yes, my Dad has to book it under his name.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Let's try this again.

Originally Posted by a330marcus
No.

[B]
Quick question: I'm looking to book a stay with my dad (>62 y/o) at a Boston Marriott, where they are offering a senior discount rate. Can I make the reservation under my name (and hence, my Marriott rewards number) using the senior discount rate and check-in with my dad present (he will be sharing the same room with me).
My original answer: Yes, as long as he is staying in one of the rooms you can book up to two rooms at the senior rate. So you two sharing a room is fine, too.

Or does the reservation have to be under his name (and hence, a different Marriott rewards number).
No.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: QFF, MR
Marriott Seniors Rate

I'm planning a trip with my father and trying to work out if I'm allowed to book the senior's rate. My father is over 62 however I'm a Marriott gold and would like to keep the booking in my name. Are there any issues during check in? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: None - previously UA
These things don't change very fast at Marriott so I suspect the answer is still the same:

timothycr18 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: QFF, MR
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by timothycr18
I'm planning a trip with my father and trying to work out if I'm allowed to book the senior's rate. My father is over 62 however I'm a Marriott gold and would like to keep the booking in my name. Are there any issues during check in? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Your best bet is to have your father with you at check-in and all will be fine. I rarely find FDCs checking the rate rules anyway, so most likely no issues even if he's not there. Don't raise the question and all will be ok.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Originally Posted by timothycr18
Be sure to check the senior rates, they are not always lower then other available rates.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:54 pm

Age minimum a must?

I just booked a Marriot hotel for me and my parents. I booked the senior rate because my parents always use the senior discount. But my dad is only 60. I realize now the age minimum is 62. Anyone know what will happen?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I wanted to share my recent experience in case anyone has any issues with the senior discount.

I checked into Marriott Tbilisi on recently with my 62+ mum - I had two separate stays a few days apart and was sharing a room with my mum. When we checked in on the first night check in staff said I either had to amend the rate to full rate or switch booking to her account to avail of the senior discount. I wasn't aware of the rules so opted to pay the full rate to avoid losing status benefits and promptly forgot about it until our second check in when the same thing happened - this stay was multiple nights on a weekend so the rate increase was more significant so I looked into it. I found this thread and rang Marriott to confirm I was correct in my use of the rate and they asked me to take it up with the front desk manager. I was eventually granted the senior discount rate and refunded the extra I had paid (after being passed through 4 different members of staff who insisted I was wrong I requested they contact corporate for clarification).

I'm glad I found the thread as the saving was over 100 Euro through the course of the stay, thanks FT!
Counsellor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.