Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If it had happened to me I would have slept in the Hotel lobby since I don't rent a car when I travel.
This happened to a coworker in the past. He had them set up a cot in one of their meeting rooms and slept there. A much better solution imo than a car.
RogerD408 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by dsquared37
What? How is that a windfall when it's merely part of what's required from the hotel when they walk a Plat? I'm at a loss to understand you're constant and consistent backing of the hotel.
I'm not sure how you are connecting my statements as being a defense to the hotel or Marriott.... I'm just saying I would be satisfied with the negotiation for points in place of the $$.....
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This happened to a coworker in the past. He had them set up a cot in one of their meeting rooms and slept there. A much better solution imo than a car.
+1. And something a remotely competent FD agent should have offered.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by KRSW
I don't believe this is true for Marriott. I recently tried to check into the RI SEATAC and due to the property's internet connection being down, they were unable to check anyone in or see reservations. Fortunately I had checked in online that morning, so they did have keys ready for me and I completed the check-in process the following morning. This would lead me to believe they're using Marriott's central system for this, not something local/separate.
It took me 15 minutes to check into a SHS a few months ago when they lost their internet connection. They had to call in to Marriott reservations to verify reservations. They did have printouts of some, but only for reservations that had been made before that morning.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm not sure how you are connecting my statements as being a defense to the hotel or Marriott.... I'm just saying I would be satisfied with the negotiation for points in place of the $$.....
JJ, when you use words like "windfall", to me that sounds like you get a lot more than the minimum. The Marriott Plat guarantee is the minimum. Not "up to 90k points" or "up to $100". It's 90k points, $100 and a free night at another hotel. This is not so much as to enrich a customer as it is to be punitive towards Marriott and it's franchisees. Self flagellation, basically, so that the company feels the pain. The combo of three really amplifies to everyone involved on the Marriott side that a mistake was made to a high value customer, and it should not be allowed to happen. Having a hotel cut checks to the customer and the other hotel (assuming it's a different franchisee or different chain) is far more punitive than the points. As I stated before, points are basically monopoly money for hotels. $100 cash or check to a customer, and bigger check to another hotel is real money that shows up directly on the books.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by catocony
It took me 15 minutes to check into a SHS a few months ago when they lost their internet connection. They had to call in to Marriott reservations to verify reservations. They did have printouts of some, but only for reservations that had been made before that morning.
Sounds like an inherent problem with cloud PMS. However, I'm pretty sure the server they use is not the same one that is used for the client-facing web pages, that's just too big of a security risk. So even then, there is probably a sweep process that refreshes the property inventory with the web server data. Hoping the failure rate is very low, I would still expect the property to have a backup plan in play to mitigate such problems, even if it's merely a printout or local file with pertinent data to allow them to process guests. And of course, proper training for staff on how to keep things moving.

Not that they really practice it here, but there are laws to deal with traffic lights going out so we're not at a dead stop until power restored (no jokes about certain hair colored people stuck on escalators please).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
This is not so much as to enrich a customer as it is to be punitive towards Marriott and it's franchisees. Self flagellation, basically, so that the company feels the pain.
I have a slightly different spin ... the hotel made the decision to sell more rooms a night than they actually had available with the expectation that someone wouldn't show. By doing so, they maximized their revenue because those with reservations who didn't show were charged (and didn't get points). Here, they are compensating the guest for that decision. Even if they had put the guest up in the Four Seasons, they'd likely still be ahead for the week.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Here, they are compensating the guest for that decision. .
But their compensation was half asssed and didn't even approach what was mandated.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
But their compensation was half asssed and didn't even approach what was mandated.
Correction on my part ... the compensation they were supposed to provide Not to mention additional compensation they ought to provide because the FD agent didn't remotely do his/her job -- or even act as a basic human by trying to figure out a solution.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Having a hotel cut checks to the customer...
Totally irrelevant to anyone's point, but I have collected the $100 once and was handed it once but declined because after I showed the clerk my reservation was for a King room they found one. Both times it was cash, not a check.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Totally irrelevant to anyone's point, but I have collected the $100 once and was handed it once but declined because after I showed the clerk my reservation was for a King room they found one. Both times it was cash, not a check.
Yes, the terms, at one time called for a cash payout, and I did get a $100 bill after the FDC called his manager. But I have read many reports of people having to wait for a check and sometimes a credit to their CC. Pretty close to rebates where they hope you will forget to send it or that it's been more than 6-8 weeks since request. You snooze, you lose.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Roger, at least at the mid and lower end chains, I don't think they have a local server. Nothing is stored locally as far as reservations data is concerned. Most have a single ISP circuit and some have single private WAN circuit, usually low-speed MPLS (less than 1mb). Most properties don't have a private circuit at all, they just tunnel everything via VPN over their single ISP circuit. So, one or two CPE boxes, a proxy/firewall for guest internet access, a box for the security cameras and that's about it.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roger, at least at the mid and lower end chains, I don't think they have a local server. Nothing is stored locally as far as reservations data is concerned. Most have a single ISP circuit and some have single private WAN circuit, usually low-speed MPLS (less than 1mb). Most properties don't have a private circuit at all, they just tunnel everything via VPN over their single ISP circuit. So, one or two CPE boxes, a proxy/firewall for guest internet access, a box for the security cameras and that's about it.
No telling at all. If the owner is a franchisee with multiple properties then I can see them with something that that ties them together. If it's a onesie-twosie type operation then they may not want to invest in the hardware and support that goes along with having local servers. But it's their business and they have to assess what risks they can handle and how much they want to put out to reduce that risk.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:43 pm

The number of properties doesn't really matter. The central res system is what they all use now. It's much cheaper, much more secure, much easier to maintain. The problem is that properties should have 2-3 ISP circuits instead of what most have, which is one.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
So Pooker buddy; I'm curious. Did you ever get past the dueling finger-pointing and blame game and get a sense what actually happened? Or just drop and roll on with life? Or did I just miss that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.