FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:12 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
That's no "guarantee", unfortunately. All it is is something called a "guarantee", but it just means:

IF there is an "open and operational" hotel "nearby":
1. The hotel where you booked will pay for accommodations around the same price.
2. The hotel where you booked will pay for those accommodations "nearby".
3. The hotel will give you some kind of benefit for the inconvenience.

So if hotels "nearby" don't have anything available that's comparable, you're up the creek.
I do believe you are putting too much in the use of the word "nearby". Given MR is good at including wiggle words in their terms, I have seen some properties only using a defined list of properties (maybe held by the same owner, or part of the chain). But I read the terms to mean ANY nearby (distance questionable) and I seriously doubt the property went this direction. If Marriott can show the reservation was acknowledged by the property system, then the property should be on the hook for the money and points PLUS appropriate compensation as though a room was found (with night and points for same). MR can put these forward to OP and then charge the hotel for same.

Too many CSRs (and FDCs for that matter) will make up stories to fit the situation as it is easier to send the customer away than try to fix the problem. We need to know what's due and request they follow their own rules.