Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:49 pm

After reading their page, i see they state Platinum in August will become Platinum premier. It then states those with 100 nights and $20k spend with become PP with ambassador.

what do the current Platinum Premiers become then?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I bet Willbur's guesses are mostly right. But he made one small mistake of typing Starwood Cat. 5 twice where he obviously means Cat. 6 for the second one!
BTW, has anybody seen the contents of those boxes which were not to be opened early under penalty of who knows what?
Willbur likes this.

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 16, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
After reading their page, i see they state Platinum in August will become Platinum premier. It then states those with 100 nights and $20k spend with become PP with ambassador.

what do the current Platinum Premiers become then?
I guess would depends on your Nights + Spent.
As it is, the current Plat Premier qualification is unknown.
Could be due to high spent, could be due to high nights, could already be due to high spent + high nights that might already compares to new Plat Premiere (Ambassador)
I think ultimately just match against the new requirements and get an estimate.
But if I have to guess, it is most likely <PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE (100 NIGHTS + $20K QUALIFYING SPEND)>
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
According to Frequent Miler's interview with the Marriott VP, it appears that if you have Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold as of Aug. 1, you will have Marriott Platinum under the new system until Dec. 31, 2018.
We should remember that actually everyone has his Gold SPG automatically matched to a Gold Marriott Rewards, except for those who are not member of Rewards.
So, if everyone is also Marriott Gold (as per status match T&C), technically everyone will be Plat in the new programme, and no Golds will exist.
This is from a legal point of view.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
I currently have 437 lifetime nights and 1.7 million points on my Marriott account.

I have 20 lifetime nights on my SPG account.

If I want to qualify for Lifetime Gold (i.e. the new Lifetime Plat) before December 31, do I need 43 more nights or 63 more nights?

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sillysailor
Did anyone see how they will treat multiple rooms.
Yes, I did.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Until the hotels are assigned to the new category structure, there's no telling how it will be.

With just seven categories in the August 2018 structure -- and the need to reassign hotels from all the current Marriott categories, SPG categories, and RC tiers -- some will go up and some will down in points required. And, yes, it will be an opportunity to nudge some hotels upward, especially some Marriott category 9 properties.

My guess is that most hotels that are now 35,000 Rewards points (or 12,000 SPG points) will still be 35,000 points, but will have a different category assignment. After all, Rewards and SPG just did a category adjustment last month.

The people on this board who are predicting a massive devaluation are probably panicking needlessly.
What? A room that’s 35K now will be 35K in 4 months, not 70K??!!?! That’s crazy talk!!!!
Kiara likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4

It seems you argue that A keeps AMB until Feb 2020. But is there really a difference between B and C, such that B would not keep AMB until Feb 2020 but C would?
Yes, there is. C meets SPG’s Ambassador criteria, B does not. (A also does.)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Is it just me or is there an alarming number of people who seem unable to read? The details are quite clear for most of the parameters in the new program. And yet so many people are asking questions about details that are patently clear from the Marriott new program website.
No, it’s not just you. But I suspect it’s not just being unable to read, it’s not bothering to try to read. Or think.

​​​​​​​ 5th after night is gone!! I’m losing 2/3 of my SPG points!! 35k rooms are obviously now 90k!!
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by JW6130
I don't see any way that this won't be a devaluation. The only question is how bad it will be. I hope the free toast and juice will compensate for that.

The popular Caribbean properties that are sitting at 40-45k for a dumpster/limited dumpster view currently will go to 50k minimum. That is a devaluation. That's on top of the cash and points fees implemented in the past few years if you want a partial ocean view, and resort fees at some locations.

The other group of properties that will likely get jacked up are the nice downtown properties that have no trouble selling rooms. NYC, LA, Miami, Charleston, San Diego, etc. are likely not going down in points. Those will go to 50k, and then eventually higher with peak pricing.

I'm glad I already booked my early 2019 travel. I will need to get the rest of my travel booked before August, to avoid devaluation.
I'm with you on this and I'm also looking to do the same thing for my 2019 travel plans; the major downside is that all of my points are in Marriott/Ritz Rewards right now and while I'd like to jump on some of the SPG Mexico City properties to unload my balance, with the 3:1 conversion rate, it just doesn't work. If only Starwood allowed members to book award stays in advance, before attaining the necessary points and allowing you to make up the difference before your stay, like Marriott currently does... By the time the programs are merged into a single currency (post-Aug) I'd be able to redeem my entire stay. As it stands, I'm locked into Marriott/Ritz.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by deac83
Background - I was PP for 8 years, then switched to SPG to get an ambassador because the PP 'benefits' were suspect, inconsistent and not tangible.

- Marriott's insistence of using the term 'Platinum' is annoying as the biggest issue I found was the front desk just read 'Platinum' and stopped there.
Different levels that have the same "platinum" title has been one of my gripes as well. (In another thread I recently offered to send Marriott a thesaurus.) After talking to a front desk about this last week, I now believe the FDCs are just as frustrated by the multiple levels of platinum as we are.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
As it stands, I'm locked into Marriott/Ritz.
Why are you locked in? You’ve been able to move points between the programs at the 3:1 rate since September. Of 2016.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Why are you locked in? You’ve been able to move points between the programs at the 3:1 rate since September. Of 2016.
I've been focusing on spending and earning for the Ritz program, anticipating a future trip to Hong Kong which I can now see will be far out of reach. Transferring my points back to SPG is useless as I've got around 100K in Marriott/Ritz and the transfer ratio would decimate that; I wouldn't be able to do anything with the leftover balance. When the programs merge in August, I expect my points to be equally worthless. I'm not complaining, but had I known a few months sooner, I'd have planned things differently. I wasn't planning to book any more travel in 2019 but now I'm trying to figure out how to run through my balance. Mexico City would've been easy since I'm in NorCal, but it's all SPG properties until the Ritz opens up next year. If SPG allowed members to book award stays before matching the necessary points (like Marriott/Ritz) I'd be all set. I may get on the horn with customer service tomorrow to ask whether that would somehow be feasible. I think I was able to do it for a trip to Italy a couple of years ago by calling Starwood directly.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:32 am

So after working my way through this thread and the spg one I think I may have wrapped my head around things:
In 2017 I did a Platinum Challenge with Marriott, covering me for 2017+18. I matched to spg, so also spg Platinum 2017+18.
Come August I should be Platinum Premiere Elite for remainder of 2018 due to Marriott Platinum.
Now I had been planning on 25 stays with spg to requalify for 2019, but as I see it, there is no advantage to that over requalifying via 50 nights combined stays, as spg Plat = Plat Elite anyway. I already have some Marriott stays and a couple multinight stays with spg, so it's actually more of a pain for me to scrounge up 25 spg-specific stays. Is my logic correct?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
A question:

In August I will be SPG Gold and Mariott Gold (through linking accounts)

What will be my new status in August Platinum or Gold ? How long will the status be vaild (My SPG Gold is to 02/2020) ?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.