Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Did you try emailing David Flueck, senior vice president for loyalty, at [email protected]?
Thank you for the suggestion, I just did.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:12 am

Anyone know if the Marriott Flight and Hotel packages will remain? Those are always a decent redemption deal if you can use the entire stay

Flight and Hotel Packages | Marriott Hotel Packages
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:12 am

I think I've figured out a sneaky workaround for those of us in the SPG program who expect to get their points devalued...

Starwood allows you to place 7-day holds on award stay bookings w/o meeting the necessary points for the stay. They also allow you to call-in and extend the hold by an additional 7 days if needed to make up the balance, giving you two full weeks (14 days) advance where you can lock in rates. If SPG members were to take advantage of this at the very tail end of July, days before the overhaul, once our points are combined into a single currency in August, it would be very easy to book SPG properties that are locked in at pre-August redemption rates, using our former Marriott/Ritz Rewards w/o being subjected to the pre-August 3:1 transfer ratio.

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:33 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is how they were able to get the owners and franchisees on-board with expanded benefits. Miami, San Francisco, New York, Paris, London, Rome, the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, Hawaii, the South Pacific -- all of the Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Edition, and Design hotels in those markets will be category 7 or category 8. Probably a good number of Marriott, Westin, Autograph Collection and Renaissance properties as well.

Better get used to Paris in the second or third weeks of January for any savings.
Probably true, although from my experience, this mostly matched existing SPG pricing in those markets.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Anyone know if you can transfer points btw accounts (with same address) in new program?
Bumping my post. Anyone know?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I guess time will tell if StR and LuxCol manage to pull the usual RC guest to their hotels.
(Personally I want to try RC and compare them to StR and LuxCol.. So far I'm very happy with those 2 brands service)

Then by then RC owners can start thinking of provide equal benefits to SPG/MR members

I wonder if RC Singapore will finally participate in the new program ?
And also RC Reserve properties.

It seems like no mention about Ritz Carlton Reserve anywhere in the announcement. Either RCR is considered as separate brands not under Marriott altogether, or Marriott just simply forgot they have those in their portfolio
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Looking at my numbers it appears that I've already qualified for ambassador. So when the new tiers go into effect (August?), what will I get from ambassidor that I don't have now as a P/LTP? I've looked throughout the Marriott forum and there are too many results when searching for the word ambassador. Is there a link somewhere to what defines a Marriott Ambassador? Sorry if it's obvious.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Lifetime status - Marriott Gold years count towards Lifetime Plat?

So, under the new program, the former Marriott Gold is now Platinum at 50+ nights. For the years of Elite status towards lifetime Platinum, has it been clarified whether years at Marriott Gold would count towards lifetime Platinum? The info says you need 10 years at Platinum status, but the former Marriott Gold tier translates over to Platinum in the new program, so I'm wondering whether they'd count the former Marriott Gold years (50+ nights, equivalent to SPG Plat) as Platinum for lifetime status? The wording on the website provides an example for Gold, but not an explicit example for Platinum. I know SPG Gold wouldn't count towards Platinum given that it's a lower tier in the new program, but I think Marriott Gold years should count as equivalent to Platinum for counting years of status given that MR is the new Platinum. Has this been clarified?

From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
*NOTE: Years of Elite tenure is based on achievement at that level, plus any years at a higher-tier level (e.g., Elite tenure at the new Lifetime Gold Elite status would count years at Rewards and SPG Gold and Platinum statuses, but not Silver status).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:30 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Not sure if this was asked/mentioned but when does the new "matched" status end? Is it the end of the calendar year (12/31/18)? I have a trip in February but would love use my Platinum status that I'll be matched too.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:39 am

"A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Loyalty Program member even if the Marriott Loyalty Program member has more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card account or is a member of more than one Marriott Loyalty Program."

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards

So no matter how many cards we have, it will be capped at 15 nights.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:41 am

Any ideas as to what will happen with regards to Chase UR transfers?

If the new program is integrated into their travel partners, 1:1 transfers would seem like a really poor value. I wonder if that option will disappear in August?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:45 am

Looked but can't find this anywhere. Currently have the Chase Marriott Business Card. Can I still spend my way to another year of platinum (1 elite night per $3,000) until 12/31/18 or is that card benefit going away 8/1/18?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
Looking at my numbers it appears that I've already qualified for ambassador. So when the new tiers go into effect (August?), what will I get from ambassidor that I don't have now as a P/LTP? I've looked throughout the Marriott forum and there are too many results when searching for the word ambassador. Is there a link somewhere to what defines a Marriott Ambassador? Sorry if it's obvious.
Congrats for making it to the Ambassador level by Aug 1! Assuming you have 100 nights between the 2 programs and hit the $20K spend threshold by then, you will have earned PlatPremier100 Ambassador status. Or if you hit 100 nights entirely with SPG hotels by end of this year.

You now will get Your24...but you will also get much better and more likely suite upgrades from properties that have more suites (i.e. higher end properties). As a Plat100 Ambassador for the last 4 years, I’ve had incredible upgrades. I’m sure to tell my Ambassador that I prefer the greatest suite ugrades for when I travel with my husband for leisure so she doesn’t waste her time fighting to upgrades when I travel alone or for work. But everyone has different preferences, priorities, and travel patterns. Make sure you discuss your expectations and hopes with your Ambassador when you’re assigned; that can help greatly. Silently hoping for something that your Ambassador never knows won’t do you much good! (Also, if you stay at midscale and even upscale hotels that don’t have many suites proportionally and don’t offer really high levels of service, you may not notice the difference much; it’s at the better and best hotels where having the Ambassador perk really can shine with regard to suite upgrades and generally feeling/being treated more VIP at hotels.)

Your Ambassador can also fix things, find things, request things for you for all hotels. If you have concierge requests, you no longer need to find the concierge email address and can just email (or call) your Ambassador, who can submit those for you. It’s nice to have the central point of contact. Even when I contact people myself, I always copy my Ambassador so she’s aware of what’s going on and what I am needing.

You’re welcome to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I guess time will tell if StR and LuxCol manage to pull the usual RC guest to their hotels.
(Personally I want to try RC and compare them to StR and LuxCol.. So far I'm very happy with those 2 brands service)

Then by then RC owners can start thinking of provide equal benefits to SPG/MR members

I wonder if RC Singapore will finally participate in the new program ?
And also RC Reserve properties.

It seems like no mention about Ritz Carlton Reserve anywhere in the announcement. Either RCR is considered as separate brands not under Marriott altogether, or Marriott just simply forgot they have those in their portfolio
I assume RC Reserve will never be part of the loyalty program. They are intended as super premium properties to compete with the likes of Aman, Peninsula, MO, etc.

I am a major fan of StR and LuxColl but just stayed Easter weekend at the RC Boston since I’d had issues at the Liberty last year. Had a very nice stay, got upgraded a suite category, though my air con didn’t work in the upgraded suite so had to downgrade back to the originally booked suite. Still, a very nice stay, and I’d return when in Boston. But stayed 2 weeks later and had an excellent stay, comparably excellent service (and better air con) at the W Boston, along with the Wow Suite upgrade.

I missed the StR butler coffee and packing/unpacking service at the RC, so I’d likely choose StR over RC when given the choice. For those who like lounges, however, the RC Club level may be a deciding factor in the RC favor. I don’t care about lounges, so the StR is still my preference.

But there are many RC in locations that lack a StR or LuxColl property, so I’d be eager to try the RC when in those locations.

Next month, I’ll be at both the LuxColl Suiran Kyoto (5 nights award stay) and RC Kyoto (2 nights award stay) during my SPG burn points trip to Japan.
txpenny likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Suiran .... I love that place !

And about Club level, since most StR dont have Club anyway, RC might be relieved to see that their main competitor in the chain pretty much dont offer Club as well
But then some LuxCol does have Club (The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kiochio, Keraton at The Plaza Jakarta and The Athenee Bangkok and they all good)

Really good to have more choices in each segments
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.