Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC
Looking at the new Premier Plus credit card... it conspicuously lacks the 1 night credit per $3,000 in card spend.

Edit to add: I think that they should offer a $450 annual fee card that includes lounge access.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by OtherDave; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: Edit to add
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Can you at least complete the remaining 50 nights through meetings? It will be a shame to miss out on the LTPPE, which will only be grandfathered once.
Actually the difference between lifetime platinum and LTPPE looks pretty minimal. I think it’s just the point earning % and the 48 hour amguarantee, right? I may just push for lifetime gold this year, which will convert to lifetime platinum. If I don’t get it this year, I’m done with Marriott because I’m not going to wait 10 years for lifetime Plat when I can get the equivalent on hyatt in 1-2 years.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:35 pm

Anyone know what about Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold? Will Marriott separate "real Marriott Gold" and "SPG matched Marriott Gold"?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:35 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by CPRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKatl
To qualify for an Ambassador in 2018 you will need to have had $20k in spend during the qualification period, which is this year.
This is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape4
So those who stay 100+ nights with SPG but spend below $20k: we keep AMB in 2019 and have to push spend to $20k during 2019 in order to keep AMB in 2020?
This is correct
I hope you are right, but where did you read this? Will they continue tracking the distinction between Starwood nights and Marriott nights after August 1st?

What about the following cases, assuming spend does not reach $20k:

A. Starwood nights Jan 1st - July 31st, 2018 = 100.
B. Starwood nights Jan 1st - July 31st, 2018 = 99. Marriott nights August 1st - December 31st, 2018 = 1.
C. Starwood nights Jan 1st - July 31st, 2018 = 99. Starwood nights August 1st - December 31st, 2018 = 1.

It seems you argue that A keeps AMB until Feb 2020. But is there really a difference between B and C, such that B would not keep AMB until Feb 2020 but C would?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:37 pm

The SPG email I just got says there will be a 3x conversion rate into MR from SPG in August - so at least they are addressing that difference in valuation!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC
Haven't seen anything about rollover nights. I heard they were going away. I have 45 rollover nights from 2017... wondering how those will be handled for my 2019 status.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It never ceases to amaze me how cheapo hotel executives are with their highest revenue customers. No breakfast at resorts or RC - supposedly will be included for St. Regis but would not hold my breath. So basically if you want breakfast when you go on that once-a-year vacation you better take your family to a Fairfield or Courtyard.
The breakfast benefit at St. Regis is not changing. Daily breakfast for the member and a guest will continue to be a Platinum Welcome Gift option, just as it is now under SPG.

Breakfast will continue be a Platinum Welcome Gift option at all Starwood legacy brands (except Design Hotels) -- and it will be added to four Marriott brands where the lack of elite breakfast was a glaring omission: Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, MOXY Hotels, and Protea Hotels. Yay!

And, finally, the resort exclusion is being removed from Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels. We finally get breakfast at Marriott legacy resorts, just as our Platinum counterparts on the SPG side have long enjoyed at Starwood legacy resorts. Yay! Yay!

Lounge access at full-service hotels with lounges isn't going away either (except at Starwood legacy resorts).

There's no breakfast benefit for Platinum Elite (or higher) at The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, and Design Hotels. That's the same as it is today. I can understand all of these exclusions except Gaylord Hotels, which are huge conventions hotels (technically resorts, but that should not matter any longer).

Overall, the breakfast benefit for Platinum Elite and higher will be considerably better in August than it is today.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by OtherDave
Looking at the new Premier Plus credit card... it conspicuously lacks the 1 night credit per $3,000 in card spend.

Edit to add: I think that they should offer a $450 annual fee card that includes lounge access.
Calling the cards "premier" only further confuses the Marriott elite statuses. So someone could be a Marriott platinum elite premier, that is a platinum-elite with a premier credit card.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Haven't seen anything about rollover nights. I heard they were going away. I have 45 rollover nights from 2017... wondering how those will be handled for my 2019 status.
Rollover nights ended already. They only counted for 2018 status.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horace
And, finally, the resort exclusion is being removed from Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels. We finally get breakfast at Marriott legacy resorts, just as our Platinum counterparts on the SPG side have long enjoyed at Starwood legacy resorts. Yay! Yay!

Lounge access at full-service hotels with lounges isn't going away either.
It will be interesting to see how the new program handles the handful of legacy Starwood resort-designated hotels with lounges accessible to SPG elites.

Aren't there a couple St. Regis properties with lounges as well?

Overall, the breakfast benefit for Platinum Elite and higher will be considerably better in August than it is today.
I wouldn't go that far yet because we haven't seen the new program's terms and conditions. The information Marriott released called it a "breakfast offering." That could be a muffin and coffee.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
5th night free?? which category applies going forward

I did not see which category would give you the 5th night free... anyone know??
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarioShu
Anyone know what about Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold? Will Marriott separate "real Marriott Gold" and "SPG matched Marriott Gold"?
It depends where you earned the status. If you earned SPG Gold, you get the new gold. If you earned Marriott gold you get the new platinum.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is it just me or is there an alarming number of people who seem unable to read? The details are quite clear for most of the parameters in the new program. And yet so many people are asking questions about details that are patently clear from the Marriott new program website.

Also, these are hotels. You’d think some people are losing their firstborn. Everyone knew there would be changes. Thus far, the changes aren’t so big, really.

The now biggest hotel chain in the world is giving its old members from Marriott far more elite benefits than ever offered before (pretty much matching the Starwood elite benefits), and is giving its new members from Starwood much the same benefits as Starwood but with more nights/spend required to achieve them in the much bigger portfolio.

Lifetime elite status is largely preserved with much the same benefits as already enjoyed. Some minor changes, but there always were going to be at least a few changes.

The old Marriott program had points that weren’t worth much compared with Starwood, and everyone who wasn’t a Marriott member already knew this—so the Marriott points are worth much less than Starwood points in the final equation. So are the new award categories, recognizing that Marriott members are about to have access to a lot of much nicer and more aspirational hotels that Starwood members have enjoyed for quite a long time now.

If you don’t like it, please feel free to join Hilton or IHG. Please don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Kiara likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 16, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Rollover nights ended already. They only counted for 2018 status.
Actually, rollover nights earned in 2017 should be part of your 2018 balance. They will count toward the level you achieve this year for 2019 status. (I have rollover nights in my 2018 balance.)

However, excess nights earned in 2018 will not be part of your 2019 balance. Marriott has announced there will be no future rollovers.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:06 pm

[QUOTE=hockeyinsider;29649140]Rollover nights ended already. They only counted for 2018 status.[/QUOTE

so 2019 status is only determined by nights stayed this year? Does the credit card 15 nights count?

I already have 113 nights this year. 37 paid and 76 rolled over from 17. I know those rollover nights are done but don’t I technically have 113 nights for 2019 status which gives me ambassador?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.