Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:07 pm
alc

I think in Marriott, all Categories get 5th night free while I think with SPG, only some do. So, I woul think going forward all will get 5th night free.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by MarioShu
Anyone know what about Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold? Will Marriott separate "real Marriott Gold" and "SPG matched Marriott Gold"?
According to Frequent Miler's interview with the Marriott VP, it appears that if you have Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold as of Aug. 1, you will have Marriott Platinum under the new system until Dec. 31, 2018.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...-announcement/

Q: What level status will my Amex Platinum card give me in the new program?
A: Gold status. However, if a member has Marriott Gold status before August 1, they will have Platinum status on August 1. [[i]So, if Bob was right about this, Amex Platinum cardholders will continue to get free breakfast until the elite year resets in 2019 as long as they use the card to get SPG Gold status AND link their Marriott & SPG accounts before August 1]
Best credit card option going forward seems to be to get the Ritz Carlton credit card, put $10k spend on it which gives you old Marriott Gold/new Marriott Platinum.

Q: What status level will people get with Ritz card $10K spend or $75K spend?
A: The status will map based on nights required to get that status. So, $10K spend today gets you old Marriott Gold and in August it will get you new Marriott Platinum status since both are 50 night elite levels. And $75K spend gets you old Marriott Platinum and in August it will get you new Marriott Platinum Premier 75K.
Enigma368 and jn in ca like this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Apr 16, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Overall, this is a better outcome than I expected.

Several posts up, there was an opinion about the NYC hotels that are currently 45K going to 70K with the new valuation. Well, right now the Ritz in Central Park is listed at 70K per night already. Remember, Ritz, Edition and St. Regis hotels are included in the combined program as well, and those hotels usually cost more points to redeem. There will probably be a difference in points between the Renaissance and the Ritz in NYC.

It's hard to tell at this point how bad the devaluation is going to be.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
I already have 113 nights this year. 37 paid and 76 rolled over from 17. I know those rollover nights are done but don’t I technically have 113 nights for 2019 status which gives me ambassador?
Ambassador Service requires 100 nights (which you've already exceeded due to your rollover nights) + $20k qualifying spend (which you probably don't have yet with 37 nights, because there's no such thing as rollover spend).

Once you've achieved the $20k qualifying spend, you should have Ambassador Service through the end of 2019.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
So... your talking about being a "highest revenue customer" and staying at St Regis' and Ritz Carlton... but on vacation with your family your choice of accommodations will be based on free breakfast? Seriously?!

Aye carumba....

Regards
Umm, read it again. I take my family to Cat 9 Marriotts and resort locations. But... no free breakfast because Marriott can fleece well-heeled elites. No I won't be staying at Fairfield. I will be at Hyatt Maui, Hyatt Beaver Creek, Hyatt Grand Champions, Hyatt Incline Village, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Andaz 5th.... or maybe just book visa infinite rates which usually include free breakfast and upgrades. Why prefer a company that can't throw me a cheap bone?
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:32 pm

Did anyone see how they will treat multiple room stays? SPG rewarded Nights for multiple rooms booked at the same
time but Marriott does not.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Umm, read it again. I take my family to Cat 9 Marriotts and resort locations. But... no free breakfast because Marriott can fleece well-heeled elites. No I won't be staying at Fairfield. I will be at Hyatt Maui, Hyatt Beaver Creek, Hyatt Grand Champions, Hyatt Incline Village, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Andaz 5th.... or maybe just book visa infinite rates which usually include free breakfast and upgrades. Why prefer a company that can't throw me a cheap bone?
I’m confused.

Category 9 Marriotts, even resorts, now will offer a breakfast benefit for Platinums. That’s better than the current Marriott blackout on resorts offering breakfast.

Platinums also will get breakfast at all the Starwood brands except for Design, including all of their resorts.

So what’s the problem?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Also, these are hotels. You’d think some people are losing their firstborn. Everyone knew there would be changes. Thus far, the changes aren’t so big, really.
Yet how would your posts be if they ended the ambassador program? I think any frequent visitor to FT can just imagine how that would go down.

Most of us higher level elites make out pretty decent but i can see how the lower levels have some gripes. Breakfast at resorts is a big one for me (not to mention less in the lounges). Part of me sort of hopes there is still a hidden tier available like Plat. Premier used to be before it just got devalued.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jeanie
Overall, this is a better outcome than I expected.

Several posts up, there was an opinion about the NYC hotels that are currently 45K going to 70K with the new valuation. Well, right now the Ritz in Central Park is listed at 70K per night already. Remember, Ritz, Edition and St. Regis hotels are included in the combined program as well, and those hotels usually cost more points to redeem. There will probably be a difference in points between the Renaissance and the Ritz in NYC.

It's hard to tell at this point how bad the devaluation is going to be.
Until the hotels are assigned to the new category structure, there's no telling how it will be.

With just seven categories in the August 2018 structure -- and the need to reassign hotels from all the current Marriott categories, SPG categories, and RC tiers -- some will go up and some will down in points required. And, yes, it will be an opportunity to nudge some hotels upward, especially some Marriott category 9 properties.

My guess is that most hotels that are now 35,000 Rewards points (or 12,000 SPG points) will still be 35,000 points, but will have a different category assignment. After all, Rewards and SPG just did a category adjustment last month.

The people on this board who are predicting a massive devaluation are probably panicking needlessly.
Brendan, CPRich and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by MarioShu
Anyone know what about Marriott Gold matched from SPG Gold? Will Marriott separate "real Marriott Gold" and "SPG matched Marriott Gold"?
Have the same question with you.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

I think what's surprising is (1) they didn't pick better names for platinum elite, platinum premier and platinum premier with ambassador and (2) didn't include a special guaranteed benefit for ambassador above ambassador service. Even the suite upgrade guarantee isn't any different. There isn't much of a reason to get ambassador.
Background - I was PP for 8 years, then switched to SPG to get an ambassador because the PP 'benefits' were suspect, inconsistent and not tangible.

- Marriott's insistence of using the term 'Platinum' is annoying as the biggest issue I found was the front desk just read 'Platinum' and stopped there
- The your 24 is very useful, since you can get a morning check in approved in advance and still check out at 4pm. Or if you travel to South America, with 8-9 am check in.I traveled to LA for 3 year straight and I usually had my hotel room before 10 am. Conversely, need a late checkout, you can do that and still check in at the regular time. This is not actually a check in at 9 check out at 9 program.
- The ambassador 'service' is only as good as the person on the other end of the phone. My current ambassador makes sure the hotel knows of any special requests and gets me upgraded to suite in advance with out using 'suite night awards'. I went through 3 different ambassador's until I was assigned one that was proactive, wouldn't give them up for anything.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by swintec
Yet how would your posts be if they ended the ambassador program? I think any frequent visitor to FT can just imagine how that would go down.
Any frequent visitor to FT might know I also frequent Aman, Peninsula, FS, MO, and other independent luxury hotels quite frequently. I love the value-add that my Ambassador and status provides. But as with all things, nothing lasts forever. In which case I will just have to pay for the rooms or suites we want at StR and LuxColl hotels. Just like we do for other luxury hotels.

I doubt I’d be complaining on FT about that which I cannot change.

Most of us higher level elites make out pretty decent but i can see how the lower levels have some gripes. Breakfast at resorts is a big one for me (not to mention less in the lounges). Part of me sort of hopes there is still a hidden tier available like Plat. Premier used to be before it just got devalued.
Those who stay the most and spend the most always will do better than those who do not.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:31 pm

I imagine that the categories will first funnel into something like the below. Obviously within each category some likely won't move with their grouping, but I think this would be a good average and the points generally play out with the current points. The biggest question mark is at the top level for the period of Aug-Dec before category 8 is live. I imagine some games will be played to keep many of the current SPG category 7 hotels from being booked at combined 60,000 pt rate.

Another big unknown is the travel certificates. Since they have to convert those into something, I imagine they end up being converted up somewhat. For example, you couldn't take a category 8 and a category 9 certificate and assign them both at category 6 certificates. My thinking is that since the outstanding certs are likely limited in number compared to other outstanding awards these probably end up being valued up so as not to piss off a bunch of their largest customers.
Brendan and JW6130 like this.

Last edited by Willbur; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Edited to fix SPG Cat 5 listed instead of SPG Cat 6 - thanks Brendan
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Sure looks like a significant point devaluation with the merging... and after we just went through the annual hotel cat changes also.

Those higher end hotels are going to end up being cat 7 or 8 and peak, so will be in the 90-100k/nt range now.
I don't see any way that this won't be a devaluation. The only question is how bad it will be. I hope the free toast and juice will compensate for that.

The popular Caribbean properties that are sitting at 40-45k for a dumpster/limited dumpster view currently will go to 50k minimum. That is a devaluation. That's on top of the cash and points fees implemented in the past few years if you want a partial ocean view, and resort fees at some locations.

The other group of properties that will likely get jacked up are the nice downtown properties that have no trouble selling rooms. NYC, LA, Miami, Charleston, San Diego, etc. are likely not going down in points. Those will go to 50k, and then eventually higher with peak pricing.

I'm glad I already booked my early 2019 travel. I will need to get the rest of my travel booked before August, to avoid devaluation.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
United has a version of this too

Originally Posted by CPRich
Don't get overly excited about the equivalent of SPG SNA's. They don't even apply until 5 days before a stay. I used 0 last year and 1 so far this year.
United has a version of this too, It's called Global Premier Upgrades, and it's also on a space availability basis.... which means never. As a whole though I like the new program!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.