Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Fall 2017 MegaBonus Terms and Conditions

*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. [Although the T&Cs don't say it clearly, a stay can be as short as one night.]

• Registration is required.
• Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by November 30, 2017 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-5 hotel (value of standard free night award ranges from 7,500 points for Category 1 hotels to 25,000 points for Category 5 hotels) after two paid stays* made between September 12, 2017 and January 15, 2018, at participating Marriott® properties.
• If a member completes two qualifying stays during the promotional period, an additional offer may be unlocked and become available in the members account within 2-3 days after the second qualifying stay.
• The member may not receive additional notification except through their online member account and must register for the additional offer within two (2) weeks from the date the additional offer becomes available.
• Maximum one (1) free night award earned with this promotion per member to be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties.
• Free night award will expire six (6) months after the date of issuance.
• An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
• An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
• The awarded free night certificate is not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
• Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
• Stays at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
• Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
• Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
• For a list of current Marriott Rewards participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi.
• Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
• Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
• All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
• See https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi for more information.
• Visit MarriottRewards.com/FreeNightMegaBonus for complete details.
• © 2017 Marriott International, Inc.

US T&C above, here are all the T&C links I found:

https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_fr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_us.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_au.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_jp.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_kr.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_es.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_de.html
https://www.marriott.com/File_Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/2017/FA17A/Terms_and_Conditions_FA17A_cn.html
Print Wikipost

2017 Fall MegaBonus (Sept 12 to Jan 15)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ftrichard
is this bonus scheme typical for MR? It's significantly less lucrative than the SPG bonus scheme going on at the moment.
It's generally consistent with the last several MR promos. The flip side is that ordinary (no promo) Marriott earn is significantly better than SPG - e.g., 15 MR points per $1 for a Plat vs. 3 SPG points (equals only 9 MR).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I got my free night banked after two one-night stays at Courtyard HK and Marriott Guangzhou. Probably use it at the other Courtyard at Sha Tin in HK one weekend when the rate is unnaturally high. I now have 10k bonus points if I complete an additional 5 nights and 1k bonus points per stay thereafter. I won't be staying at any more Marriott hotels during this period. But out of interest, is this bonus scheme typical for MR? It's significantly less lucrative than the SPG bonus scheme going on at the moment.
"MEGAbonus" has seemed to lost its "Mega" of late. It has been going downhill for awhile now. They also seem to be moving toward "stays" over "nights" recently.

The 2 stays for a Cat 1-5 isn't too bad, but the 10K points after 5 stays (not nights) is pretty weak.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Have had two stays and received nothing, I am now on my third which would qualify me for additional bonuses. Would it be appropriate to call and find out what is going on ?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danola
Have had two stays and received nothing, I am now on my third which would qualify me for additional bonuses. Would it be appropriate to call and find out what is going on ?
Did you register? If so, the cert should have posted with the second stay.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
"MEGAbonus" has seemed to lost its "Mega" of late. It has been going downhill for awhile now. They also seem to be moving toward "stays" over "nights" recently.

The 2 stays for a Cat 1-5 isn't too bad, but the 10K points after 5 stays (not nights) is pretty weak.
Actually, I find it's the other way around. The category 5 restriction really limits the certificate, but staying at relatively cheap properties the 10K is actually triple points.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Yes, not impossible.
I’m one of those that love the free night megabonus. I’ve found great use for them whether taking grandkids for a sleepover at a local hotel, airport hotels for early AM flights, long weekends, etc. I’ve managed to use to add an extra night to a 5 day TP in Costa Rica. Using ours combined with the visa CC for a stay at the Gaylord in Washington DC. Rates are $350. Much better deal than the 2,000 points like the last mega.
Gaylord is Category 6 or 7, IIRC, so the cert won't be usable. The Residence Inn across the street from the Gaylord is Category 5, so you can use the cert there.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Ability to transfer points between each program. 1 Starpoint = 3 MR points.
Status matched between both programs.
We are using the SPG AmEx to pay for our Marriott stays. The Chase Marriott Visa generates 5x for Marriott stays, but the SPG AmEx generates 2x SPG points = 6x Marriott Rewards points for Marriott stays.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Stays, not nights, count.
Thanks for correcting me. I knew it was 'stays' but I typed 'nights'. I corrected my post.

But you can confirm that stays after the second stay (to get the free cert) will count even before I am able to 'register' for the second part of the promotion?

I have several nights in Beijing coming up next week and I'm considering staying in a different hotel each night to get the number of stays up.

Thanks,
RM
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Thanks for correcting me. I knew it was 'stays' but I typed 'nights'. I corrected my post.

But you can confirm that stays after the second stay (to get the free cert) will count even before I am able to 'register' for the second part of the promotion?

I have several nights in Beijing coming up next week and I'm considering staying in a different hotel each night to get the number of stays up.

Thanks,
RM
Several people have confirmed it in this thread already. Post #369, for example.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Several people have confirmed it in this thread already. Post #369, for example.
OK, thanks. I don't have time to read 600+ post threads so asking is just easier. And it usually helps others.

My second night posted as did the free night certificate. However, i don't see anything on my promotions page about a second part of this promotion. I'm hoping it posts soon since my multiple nights trip to China starts tomorrow and I'm moving hotels for this promo.

-RM
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
OK, thanks. I don't have time to read 600+ post threads so asking is just easier. And it usually helps others.

My second night posted as did the free night certificate. However, i don't see anything on my promotions page about a second part of this promotion. I'm hoping it posts soon since my multiple nights trip to China starts tomorrow and I'm moving hotels for this promo.

-RM
Agreed. It's easier to ask others to do the research that you can't be bothered to do yourself. Really took very little effort.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Actually, I find it's the other way around. The category 5 restriction really limits the certificate, but staying at relatively cheap properties the 10K is actually triple points.
Points are more flexible, but if you view a Cat 5 property night as 25,000 points in value, getting the cert is a pretty nice reward for 2 stays. - Especially versus requiring 5 stays for points worth one night in a Cat 2, for comparison sake.

I have always found a good use for the 1-5 cat certs, but if they are not useful to individual's travel patterns, then is certainly reduces the first tier of MegaBonus.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Points are more flexible, but if you view a Cat 5 property night as 25,000 points in value, getting the cert is a pretty nice reward for 2 stays. - Especially versus requiring 5 stays for points worth one night in a Cat 2, for comparison sake.
Except for the expiration issue. 25000 points will never expire (if you have periodic earning/redemption), but this MegaBonus cert expires 6 months after issued, and that's even way more limited than the 12 month expiration that the Chase credit cards give.

Do we know yet whether the 6 month MegaBonus certs will be able to be extended out to 12 months? A lot of people do most of their travels during the summer, and these 6-month certs are only good in the fall/winter (if you got your 2 stays in early in this MegaBonus cycle).

So to me it's not as good as 25000 points, because I have to "use it up" in a situation where I probably wouldn't use 25000 points (I'd instead keep them and use them more the 6 months after this cert was issued).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except for the expiration issue. 25000 points will never expire (if you have periodic earning/redemption), but this MegaBonus cert expires 6 months after issued, and that's even way more limited than the 12 month expiration that the Chase credit cards give.

Do we know yet whether the 6 month MegaBonus certs will be able to be extended out to 12 months? A lot of people do most of their travels during the summer, and these 6-month certs are only good in the fall/winter (if you got your 2 stays in early in this MegaBonus cycle).

So to me it's not as good as 25000 points, because I have to "use it up" in a situation where I probably wouldn't use 25000 points (I'd instead keep them and use them more the 6 months after this cert was issued).
Valid point. Certificates are not as flexible as points, in either redemption choice (above cat5 property) or expiration.

My only point was that from a pure "value" standpoint, a cat5 cert (value of up to 25,000 points) is a far more generous reward after 2 stays when compared to 10,000 points after 5 stays.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:45 pm

How long after the second stay will my subsequent offer show up, and do I actually have to "re-register"? We're close to the deadline now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.