Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite concierge services

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by samosa
So it depends--what would you want from them? For me, when I travel with family for a special occasion (usually wife's bday or our anniversary) I e-mail the hotel concierge or guest services in advance and ask for anything they can do and usually organize one hotel activity that brings them revenue. Almost always they acknowledge status and say an upgrade will be provided, sometimes they do it in advance so it shows up on the reservation. I expect that from these folks--but without me having to find an e-mail or call the hotel.
What email address do you use, or where do you find it? I'm PP and LP and have very sporadic luck in scoring an upgrade. I normally turn DOWN upgrades when I'm traveling alone for work (I don't need the space of a suite), but when my family is with me on a weekend getaway, I BEG for them. That's the ONLY time I need/want it, and I'm about 20% successful in getting them, even with PP/LP status. Hoping maybe your route would work better for me than interacting with the front line folks with my requests.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by holland
What email address do you use, or where do you find it? I'm PP and LP and have very sporadic luck in scoring an upgrade. I normally turn DOWN upgrades when I'm traveling alone for work (I don't need the space of a suite), but when my family is with me on a weekend getaway, I BEG for them. That's the ONLY time I need/want it, and I'm about 20% successful in getting them, even with PP/LP status. Hoping maybe your route would work better for me than interacting with the front line folks with my requests.
I use google or call the hotel. A lot of times foreign hotels send you e-mails in advance. I stayed at the Stones Hotel in Bali (Autograph Collection Marriott). When I told them the reason for our trip, they immediately replied confirming upgrade which was reflected in my marriott account. We went from a deluxe room to a suite (one of only 6 of that type on the property.) It is never guaranteed but I also paid for extras like spa and restaurant reservations so it balances out.

Family trips are really where space matters to me when with kids, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:28 pm

Traveler got this feature. His stats for lifetime are:

nights: 1831

He mostly stays in full service hotels and travels US and Europe. He is Plat Premier this year, missed last year, and had if for a few years before that. Has the credit card. Has probably been a member for 25 years. I just read the faq's and they say this is a diverse group with no set parameters.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I got a call yesterday.

2600+ nights
PP last 8 years
120+ nights last year and on track for the same.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by bhrubin

As the article also notes, Marriott's Courtyard, Fairfield, SpringHill, and Residence Inn brands--all of which are below the upper upscale and luxury spaces--account for over 3,000 of the total Marriott hotel portfolio--compared to just over 1,000 on the upper upscale and luxury space. Starwood's entire portfolio almost is in the upper upscale and luxury spaces, in stark contrast.
And thats what I like better about Marriotts. No matter where you go, you can almost always find something in the brand to stay with. Marriott has a much broader reach because of this, and so usually in smaller towns you have a choice of a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, etc to stay in without a single Starwood property to choose from. In the towns where I have had a choice, the upgraded Courtyards are the hotel of preference for coworkers over an older FourPoints.

In a new role, I am staying in larger cities, in the city centers now more, so I will have more choices, but generally find the ultra-luxury SPG brands ridiculously priced anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I also got the call. She indicated I was in the top 1% of all Marriott Members. I am Plat Premier, and have been a Platinum member for about 17 years. I usually stay over 100 nights a year in city Renaissance properties. My spend has dropped a bit this year, so it will be interesting to see what happens from here on.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JC5280
And thats what I like better about Marriotts. No matter where you go, you can almost always find something in the brand to stay with. Marriott has a much broader reach because of this, and so usually in smaller towns you have a choice of a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, etc to stay in without a single Starwood property to choose from. In the towns where I have had a choice, the upgraded Courtyards are the hotel of preference for coworkers over an older FourPoints.

In a new role, I am staying in larger cities, in the city centers now more, so I will have more choices, but generally find the ultra-luxury SPG brands ridiculously priced anyway.
Well, it should be obvious that Marriott WANTS the upper upscale and luxury market affiliation and customer base that Starwood brings--hence the acquisition. That you don't like those properties is irrelevant to Marriott's obvious interest. Marriott isn't copying Starwood elite benefits and adding them to its current Marriott Rewards program to simply make you happy; they are trying to make Starwood elite customers happy and interested in staying with the new merged company.

Marriott has always had great customer loyalty with business customers--staying in business friendly hotel brands. Marriott has not had great customer loyalty with affluent customers, however. Starwood has the best customer loyalty among affluent customers of all the major points hotel chains. That's the audience that Marriott wants to attract with the Starwood acquisition and the new elite concierge service--which is trying to emulate the Starwood Ambassador program for its super-elites.

If you like staying at Courtyards, then that's great--stay at Courtyards! But I wouldn't think an elite concierge is going to be able to elevate your experience at a Courtyard any more than a Starwood Ambassador can elevate the experience at a Four Points.

I think you're missing the boat on what elite concierge service means.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:41 pm

Well, it should be obvious that Marriott WANTS the upper upscale and luxury market affiliation and customer base that Starwood brings--hence the acquisition. That you don't like those properties is irrelevant to Marriott's obvious interest. Marriott isn't copying Starwood elite benefits and adding them to its current Marriott Rewards program to simply make you happy; they are trying to make Starwood elite customers happy and interested in staying with the new merged company.

Marriott has always had great customer loyalty with business customers--staying in business friendly hotel brands. Marriott has not had great customer loyalty with affluent customers, however. Starwood has the best customer loyalty among affluent customers of all the major points hotel chains. That's the audience that Marriott wants to attract with the Starwood acquisition and the new elite concierge service--which is trying to emulate the Starwood Ambassador program for its super-elites.

If you like staying at Courtyards, then that's great--stay at Courtyards! But I wouldn't think an elite concierge is going to be able to elevate your experience at a Courtyard any more than a Starwood Ambassador can elevate the experience at a Four Points.

I think you're missing the boat on what elite concierge service means.

Whoa, thats a lot of inferences and words you put in my mouth!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Marriott has always had great customer loyalty with business customers--staying in business friendly hotel brands. Marriott has not had great customer loyalty with affluent customers, however. Starwood has the best customer loyalty among affluent customers of all the major points hotel chains.
Do you have any facts or citations to back this up? Or is it just one person's opinion?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Do you have any facts or citations to back this up? Or is it just one person's opinion?
Read away from the most recent Marriott investor presentation: http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...1-16_FINAL.pdf

A nice summary of points in that Marriott investor presentaion is to be found here: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-presentation/

The highlights:

(1) Marriott and Starwood want to run parallel programs during the integration, in order to maintain existing member benefits while also building bridges between the programs
(2) Marriott acknowledges Starwood’s expertise with affluent consumers in the lifestyle segment, while crediting themselves for having long-standing relations with frequent business travelers across broad brand portfolios (which I think is fair)
(3) Marriott recognizes that they want to provide a more personalized experience, something which Starwood excels at, while Marriott doesn’t
(4) Marriott recognizes that their co-brand credit card is uncompetitive in many ways, given that the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card offers just one point per dollar spent (and I value those points at ~0.7 cents each); meanwhile the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express offers one Starpoint per dollar spent, which I value at ~2.2 cents each
Either way, common sense already dictates that Starwood has the experience and edge with affluent customers--considering Starwood has far more hotels in the upper upscale and luxury segments where the most affluent customers are found.

Either way, common sense already dictates that Marriott has the experience and edge with business customers-- considering that Marriott has far more hotels in the segments most often used by business customers.

Either way, common sense already dictates that Marriott obviously is copying Starwood with elite benefits. They merge, and suddenly the lame Marriott "hotels may opt to give elites 4 pm late checkout" becomes "hotels now guarantee elites 4 pm late checkout." That isn't a coincidence any more than suddenly Marriott Rewarda is starting to offer an elite concierge service for its best customers...just like Starwood has been doing for years.

Starwood customers are more affluent on average than Marriott customers. Period. End.

Marriott wants those more affluent Starwood customers. Period. End.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
[/QUOTE]Starwood customers are more affluent on average than Marriott customers. Period. End.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.[/QUOTE]

I agree with some of what you are saying but .... I'm skeptical that the average Starwood customer is more affluent. I tend to think, however, they travel differently ... perhaps even less ... thanks the average Marriott customer. A lot of us here are road warriors and the Starwood portfolio doesn't work. If I stuck to meetings in the downtown area of major cities, I might have focused on them. The difference in portfolio doesn't mean, however, that the average Starwood customer is more affluent.

On the other hand, they certainly have a higher percentage of upscale rooms and have a higher average room revenue than Marriott. I'm happy to have them as a new option ...particularly on the leisure side. But, the lack of a meaningful Courtyard or Fairfield product is why they were put on the market.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jun 15, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Back to the topic of this thread:

I hear that Marriott has been getting a lot of complaints about its "Elite Concierge Service" although their PP agents don't seem to know anything about it.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:10 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Starwood customers are more affluent on average than Marriott customers. Period. End.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.
I agree with some of what you are saying but .... I'm skeptical that the average Starwood customer is more affluent. I tend to think, however, they travel differently ... perhaps even less ... thanks the average Marriott customer. A lot of us here are road warriors and the Starwood portfolio doesn't work. If I stuck to meetings in the downtown area of major cities, I might have focused on them. The difference in portfolio doesn't mean, however, that the average Starwood customer is more affluent.

On the other hand, they certainly have a higher percentage of upscale rooms and have a higher average room revenue than Marriott. I'm happy to have them as a new option ...particularly on the leisure side. But, the lack of a meaningful Courtyard or Fairfield product is why they were put on the market.
Bolding mine. I agree with that. But the Courtyards and Fairfields are not why Marriott is creating the new elite concierge service, either. That is entirely about retaining e loyalty of the affluent Starwood customers, especially those who stay in the more upscale and luxury brands.

I'm happy that the merged company will allow me more hotel options in so many more locations...but since I'd never want to stay anywhere that is less than full service, it will be the Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph, JW Marriott, and Ritz Carlton brands that will most interest me for business travel. That means that less than 1,000 of the Marriott property portfolio is truly of interest to me. Certainly, the option of Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott and some Autograph properties also gives me more options for leisure travel. Therein lies the difference between the average Marriott business customer and the average Starwood business customer. Marriott wants Starwood for exactly that reason...and to grow its upper upscale and luxury property market with more affluent Starwoood customers such as me.

The Marriott elite concierge service is being developed with lots of input from Starwood Ambasaadors and Platinum 100 elite guests. It is designed to woo the most affluent and most steadfast in Starwood loyalty and elevate their personal connection and experience. Starwood is the best at this. Marriott is currently incapable of this. Marriott wants to learn from Starwood in this arena.

Not sure what the debate here is really about. My impression is that some MR members are resentful that Starwood is better with affluent customers. I'm not resentful that Marriott is better with property distribution.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
This is my 3rd year with Marriott

No invite I've never been PP - I have 18 paid nights coming up tomorrow, so will have 58 paid nights. Planning on having around 80-90 paid nights before end of year.

Nights stayed50
Paid:40
Redeemed:10
Bonus nights38
Promotional:0
Rewards Credit Card:21
Rewarding Events:0
2015 rollover:17
2016 total View my activity information 88
Lifetime Status
Nights371
Points937,350
Learn More
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Not sure what the debate here is really about. My impression is that some MR members are resentful that Starwood is better with affluent customers. I'm not resentful that Marriott is better with property distribution.
Wow, you're a hoot! I love that you consider your unsupported opinion to be "common sense" and "undeniable". You're not running for political office by any chance, are you?

Back on topic, have any members started establishing a true relationship with their elite concierge yet? Do we have any stories of amazing tasks accomplished or, perhaps, simple requests fulfilled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.