Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
I was just looking at booking this hotel for a first time visit to Cancun. How is it?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Some helpful threads taken directly from the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...er-thread.html:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-threads.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rt-mexico.html
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
We were on a paid stay of 7 nights and had booked ocean view. We were also contacted by the Concierge about a week before and inquired about an upgrade. Upon arrival, we had an oceanfront corner room on the top floor. This was in April, so while not quite high season the hotel was pretty full. We loved our room and would definitely go back there again. I was Gold at the time.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jtwiz
We were on a paid stay of 7 nights and had booked ocean view. We were also contacted by the Concierge about a week before and inquired about an upgrade. Upon arrival, we had an oceanfront corner room on the top floor. This was in April, so while not quite high season the hotel was pretty full. We loved our room and would definitely go back there again. I was Gold at the time.
Thank you for your information--would you please tell us how to contact the concierge at this property. Much appreciated and best of luck with future travel.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
If it's a stay I care about getting upgraded, I'll check availability for the length of my stay just before checking in. If I see a suite available, and I haven't been upgraded in advance, I'll politely ask when I check in if any suite upgrades are available. That's worked probably 97% of the time. 2% the front desk flat out lied and said no they weren't available and the last 1% I was told upgrades only available if I was willing to pay for it (cough, Essex House, cough, cough).
I did that just yesterday as I was checking into the Lexington in NYC. Got two responses 1) there was no suite available; 2) after I showed them the Marriott app in which I could book the suite (the next category up from the room reserved), the response was "oh, OK I can upgrade you tonight but we are still trying to sell the suite for your second night, so you might have to move." Surprised by the response, I chuckled and just took my reserved room.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that the Marriott didn't say that they were still trying to sell the suite for your first night too. Just don't expect your late checkout request to be honored either: it won't be available but will be available if you pay some fee that will probably be more than 50% of your room rate.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just don't expect your late checkout request to be honored either: it won't be available but will be available if you pay some fee that will probably be more than 50% of your room rate.
I've seen that mentioned by a few here, but in 25+ years of staying in Marriott hotels, I have never been told I can't have a late checkout unless I pay for it. I will admit that there has been a time or two where they didn't want to honor a late checkout. And I have been told that they could offer me a late check-out until a set time (i.e. 2pm or 3pm) but if I needed later than that I would have to pay a fee. But never no late checkout unless you want to pay for it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Raybdbomb
I've been platinum for around 5 years now, and I almost never request a complimentary upgrade when I business travel.

What are the best practices for requesting and successfully getting complimentary upgrades?
Simply ask at the desk when you arrive.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If upgrades are that important to you you may want to look at Hyatt's program. They offer suite upgrades that can be confirmed at booking. My experience is that Platinum members are upgraded at Marriott about 2% - 3% of the time.
I'm over 90%. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did *not* get an upgrade to a suite or to a "Garden View" room or something like that.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What I think is extremely tacky: Marriott properties not honoring elite bennies, such as not upgrading Golds/Plats when there IS availability.
Problem as I see it is that there are too many of us elites chasing too few upgrades. So they wait to be asked, then give it to you. That way if an upgrade is important enough to a customer they get it and if it's no big deal it goes to the next guy.

Pure SWAG, of course.

Originally Posted by sethb
If they're available, I do. I've gotten several in the past year; the only time I didn't, all the hotel's suites were booked.

Perhaps you don't know my travel as well as I do.
Same experience.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I've seen that mentioned by a few here, but in 25+ years of staying in Marriott hotels, I have never been told I can't have a late checkout unless I pay for it. I will admit that there has been a time or two where they didn't want to honor a late checkout. And I have been told that they could offer me a late check-out until a set time (i.e. 2pm or 3pm) but if I needed later than that I would have to pay a fee. But never no late checkout unless you want to pay for it.
Yes. Late checkout involves payment virtually always. There has been a couple of times during high season that I arrived at a hotel mid-afternoon only to be told I have to wait because some guy hadn't checked out yet. Yes, they should make him pay.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Funny, I just booked a free night at a luxury SPG hotel in NYC and online was a place to estimate your checkin and checkout times, both included options for early checkin and late checkout!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by derby44
Thank you for your information--would you please tell us how to contact the concierge at this property. Much appreciated and best of luck with future travel.
It took me some digging, but here you go! [email protected]

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hhoope01
They've generally offered me something, but sometimes only 1 or 1:30 PM (as Platinum).

Oh for the days when Hyatt Gold Passport offered me 6 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I'm over 90%. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did *not* get an upgrade to a suite or to a "Garden View" room or something like that.

Problem as I see it is that there are too many of us elites chasing too few upgrades. So they wait to be asked, then give it to you. That way if an upgrade is important enough to a customer they get it and if it's no big deal it goes to the next guy.
I generally get some minimal upgrade without asking; rarely, a real upgrade without asking, and often a real upgrade after asking.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
Funny, I just booked a free night at a luxury SPG hotel in NYC and online was a place to estimate your checkin and checkout times, both included options for early checkin and late checkout!
That lets you ask. It doesn't imply they'll do anything.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sethb
That lets you ask. It doesn't imply they'll do anything.
Yes, of course, but I like the approach, its proactive. My last 2 SPG stays I was given 4pm at checkin without even asking.

It just seems to be a cultural difference, SPG wants to offer and actually give you the elite benefit, Marriott wants to list it as a benefit but the properties don't want to cooperate.

I've never had a Marriott request that didn't require a negotiation or a walk into the back for approval...

As usual, YMMV.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by MLCJ
I did that just yesterday as I was checking into the Lexington in NYC. Got two responses 1) there was no suite available; 2) after I showed them the Marriott app in which I could book the suite (the next category up from the room reserved), the response was "oh, OK I can upgrade you tonight but we are still trying to sell the suite for your second night, so you might have to move." Surprised by the response, I chuckled and just took my reserved room.
That would have pissed me off enough to take them up on the offer. It's a bluff, they would block your room off for your entire stay. What would they do, call you at 12pm and make you move? What if you were unavailable until the evening? I had the JW NYC tell me we are only offering those for sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.