Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:50 pm

Mobile check-in and pre-blocked room assignment / requests?

Just wondering... it concerns me slightly that I'm going to check in online and then have something else assigned (they blocked a particular room for me). Should I just call them to make sure?

When do you know your room number... is it immediately confirmed after you do the mobile check-in?

Maybe there is no real point to use it?

Last edited by DealAddict; Oct 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:06 pm

The reason I wanted to do online check in was to make sure I get the room I want early... but if i just randomly assigns me something, that won't work. Can they switch the room AFTER you have done the mobile check in? But, yeah, maybe best to call and try to do the mobile check in afterwards.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I never do online check-in. My theory is if you've not gotten upgraded yet and it just shows reg room then that's what you've confirmed when you do the check in.

I got a PM from a FTer last weekend. Ressie showed buptkus at online check-in time. I told him not to check in and see what he could do at front desk. He was pleasantly surprised to get a superior suite already assigned when he checked in, but it hadn't been there during online check in.

I should note that it's not a guaranteed upgrade if you wait to norm check in. I'm just relaying my personal philosophy and a recent experience.

Cheers
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:37 pm

I don't think I will get an upgrade anyways, as that would be a 2 bedroom suite, and the hotel only has one.

My concern is more getting the room that has been pre-blocked for me. I'm not really sure if mobile check-in would help here / has anything to do with it though.

I'm not too sure I actually understand what the purpose of it is actually?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DealAddict

I'm not too sure I actually understand what the purpose of it is actually?
The official purpose is so you allegeily Don't have to stand in line to check in/go through 're whole handing over your credit card etc.

IIRC your stay is at the Lexington which has had some issues with suites. Doesn't Burt to call the property directly tonight to confirm your booking.

Cheers
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:58 pm

In all my experiences with online check in, it has yielded absolutely zero benefit.
The "dedicated" pickup line is almost always used by an agent to check in other guests. It's marketed as a way to speed up check in, but I haven't seen any improvement
If I could use my CC or my phone to automatically pickup a room key, then maybe I'll use it again. I've stopped hoping it would lead to some actual benefit.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've also given up on OLCI. Hotels usually block (or, as one said, super-block) my feather free room. When using OLCI, this was almost always NOT the room assigned. It takes more time to undo and redo the check-in than to just do a regular check-in to begin with. Even when I thought OLCI would be helpful, such as an airport adjacent hotel arriving on the busy last flight of the night, it hasn't worked seamlessly. Besides, even if I don't use OLCI, the hotel usually has everything prepared for a fast check-in, an in the right room, to boot.

For airlines, OLCI ensures I have a boarding pass even when I'm cutting it close on time. There can be a big difference between showing up 46 minutes before a flight and showing up 44 minutes before a flight when not using OLCI at a few airports, but 44 is more than enough time to get to my flight, given Pre-Check and carry-on bags. Plus, I'm using a boarding pass on my phone, which is easier to keep track of than a flimsy small piece of paper. I'm just not seeing as tangible a benefit for OLCI with Marriott. If I'm checking in late, I call the hotel to let them know I'll be there, and my room is super blocked, so I'm not worried about not having a room.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Kingston
If I could use my CC or my phone to automatically pickup a room key, then maybe I'll use it again. I've stopped hoping it would lead to some actual benefit.
Or if I could actually just use my phone as my room key!

I've been taking part in my credit card company's pay-by-phone option, and it's awesome. My phone is always out anyway. It's a big benefit not to have to take out my wallet. While I've always used my Marriott CC as my primary card, I've put more on this other card the past month or so because it's so easy. Previously, it was just the card I gave the lawn guy, used for online purchases and let my niece have a copy of for emergencies while she's away at college. (Go Hoosiers!) In other words, it was the card I always assumed would get hacked. Now, ease makes it my go-to card.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:22 am

I talked to someone in central reservations who assured me that if they block the room for me, then mobile check-in will not affect that. The hotel front desk said the same thing...

I'm arriving at the hotel around 4 PM, so maybe there is no need to do the mobile check-in and I can just call them to let them know when I'm arriving. Basically, I just want to make sure that they won't give away that room...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The one benefit I've found to mobile check-in is when you plan to arrive before check in time. I've had at least one hotel (Torrance Marriott) tell me they prioritize mobile check ins that say they're coming before official check in time when it comes to cleaning rooms.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
redacted

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 2, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Another vote against OLCI. On my way to the JW Buckhead this weekend I checked the res and it still said "1 King or 2 Doubles" an hour before check in, so they hadn't blocked a room. When I arrived I had to wait about 5 minutes for the only FDC to check someone else in. She was very apologetic and thanked me, so I asked if an upgrade was available and ended up in a very nice suite with a large balcony.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:23 pm

OK, so I used it and had no issues. Room was ready on arrival and it was the room they blocked for me
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Kingston
In all my experiences with online check in, it has yielded absolutely zero benefit.
The "dedicated" pickup line is almost always used by an agent to check in other guests. It's marketed as a way to speed up check in, but I haven't seen any improvement
It will be good, if we can use the phone as the "key card". This will give the benefit of mobile check in.

I think some other brand has done so... or i am dreaming.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Or if I could actually just use my phone as my room key!
wow we are in total agreement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.