Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I used the Mobile Check in for a stay this week for the first time and still had to go through the regular check in procedure once I arrived at the hotel.

I really don't see any benefits (yet) to this app or am I missing something?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am staying at the Victoria BC Marriott next week. I got an email with the name of the hotel to download this app and use it to check in. Tried to put my confirmation number in and it keeps telling me I am not logging into a valid Marriott connection and my data may not be secure. So I dig and it is not even available for this hotel. Why send me the link to get the app with the hotel name in the email when the hotel is not part of the app yet? Very poor implementation.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Baze
Why send me the link to get the app with the hotel name in the email when the hotel is not part of the app yet? Very poor implementation.
Typical Marriott.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
is anyone having trouble with the mobile app?

I have re installed a few times and keep getting an error message when I try to view upcoming reservations. Can't use mobile check in as a result.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sammyindc
I really don't see any benefits (yet) to this app or am I missing something?
Ditto. Received a notice on my app today but based on this thread I think I will simply email the front desk to reiterate my prefs and hope for the best. It's a rare day when I don't need to request a room switch.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by jgottlieb
Where do room upgrades fit into this?
It's because of this very question I've yet to use the app to check in.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:42 pm

Is there a point to mobile check in?

I don't see the benefit. Either way you have to go to the first desk and check in... all they do is have your keys ready which might take them 30 extra seconds otherwise. They still ask for ID and credit card.

Now if they were able to add a key swipe mechanism to our status cards so we can avoid going to the front desk all together that'd be great!!

I'm only wondering because I keep getting emails about mobile check in and they make it sound like a big deal... I just don't see it.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:24 am

I refuse to use Mobile CheckIn as I'm sure I'll never get an upgrade (which have to be begged for in Marriotts at checkin time) that way.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Is there a point to mobile check in?

I've used it when I want to check in early. A few weeks ago I was arriving at 11 am and used the mobil check in to let them know I needed the room at that time. The room was ready when I got there.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I agree you can forget about an upgrade chance. I've also seen a sign at the Front Desk making a spot for mobile check-in customers but yet to see it in action, in other words, do they drop everything and other customers and run over to you when head there? My guess is not except at very big, busy hotels.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by nickfromct
I've used it when I want to check in early. A few weeks ago I was arriving at 11 am and used the mobil check in to let them know I needed the room at that time. The room was ready when I got there.
Last time I tried to use it, it wouldn't let me confirm check in until regular check in time (3pm). So I ended up not using it and just checked in earlier at the front desk.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:45 pm

Least-Used Rooms First

In every hotel I've worked, the property management system (PMS) is programmed to assign the least-used room in the category during the check-in process. This procedure is an attempt to keep the "wear and tear" roughly equal for all rooms. After all, no GM wants to spend money renovating all rooms when only 75% need it.

While it's a sound principle, the reality is that for many hotels, rooms within a single category are not the same. There generally is a good reason why most Front Desk reps ignore the auto-selected room. (Example: next to the elevators or ice machines, no view, odd layouts in older buildings, etc.) Therefore, a completely automated check-in process will be more likely to assign a less desirable room since the software doesn't differentiate any differences within a room category.

Caveat: I've never worked at a Marriott hotel. Perhaps someone who has can provide a more informed opinion on this matter with regard to their brands.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In every hotel I've worked, the property management system (PMS) is programmed to assign the least-used room in the category during the check-in process. ... Caveat: I've never worked at a Marriott hotel. Perhaps someone who has can provide a more informed opinion on this matter with regard to their brands.
Hrmph. As a PP who has gotten some seriously ishtty rooms if I forget to inquire about an upgrade and take what's been assigned, that sounds about right for Marriott IMO- so thanks for the insight!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In every hotel I've worked, the property management system (PMS) is programmed to assign the least-used room in the category during the check-in process. This procedure is an attempt to keep the "wear and tear" roughly equal for all rooms. After all, no GM wants to spend money renovating all rooms when only 75% need it.

While it's a sound principle, the reality is that for many hotels, rooms within a single category are not the same. There generally is a good reason why most Front Desk reps ignore the auto-selected room. (Example: next to the elevators or ice machines, no view, odd layouts in older buildings, etc.) Therefore, a completely automated check-in process will be more likely to assign a less desirable room since the software doesn't differentiate any differences within a room category.

Caveat: I've never worked at a Marriott hotel. Perhaps someone who has can provide a more informed opinion on this matter with regard to their brands.
Sounds 100% logical and probably the reason why it always takes a human (and time) to improve or correct requests. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the notorious seat saving / best seat debates we have on the Southwest forum. At the end of day, the flight attendants just wants everyone in a seat quickly and doesn't which one or how obtained...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
If the system upgraded you based on availability. I can bet you that people would use it. There is no value (albeit a rare early checkin) that I can see.

I also agree about the lack of upgrades. I was recently at CY that stated they could tell If their were upgrades as their internet was down. Which is strAnge as they checked me in with no problem. So I went to the room plugged in my laptop and voila, I had internet access. I then confirm the upgrade is available And call the front desk from my cell to inquire. To which they tell me the room is available. I said "perfect! I'm in room xxx and would like the upgrade I'm entitled to as a platinum". There was dead silence followed by a "we will bring the keys right up". It's ridiculous that I had to do that... I emailed the gm and she was unaware of the outage and apologized. I don't normally play the dykwia card but if you give me a BS excuse...

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.