Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by Anaom
If the system upgraded you based on availability. I can bet you that people would use it. There is no value (albeit a rare early checkin) that I can see.

I also agree about the lack of upgrades. I was recently at CY that stated they could tell If their were upgrades as their internet was down. Which is strAnge as they checked me in with no problem. So I went to the room plugged in my laptop and voila, I had internet access. I then confirm the upgrade is available And call the front desk from my cell to inquire. To which they tell me the room is available. I said "perfect! I'm in room xxx and would like the upgrade I'm entitled to as a platinum". There was dead silence followed by a "we will bring the keys right up". It's ridiculous that I had to do that... I emailed the gm and she was unaware of the outage and apologized. I don't normally play the dykwia card but if you give me a BS excuse...

-A
If you're a solo business traveller, why is the upgrade the most important benefit? I can completely understand if you're using the upgrade for a leisure stay w/ friends or family. But if you're in ____ city for 2 nights, by yourself, are you really going to be bothered if you don't get an upgrade to a larger suite?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bfhause
If you're a solo business traveller, why is the upgrade the most important benefit? I can completely understand if you're using the upgrade for a leisure stay w/ friends or family. But if you're in ____ city for 2 nights, by yourself, are you really going to be bothered if you don't get an upgrade to a larger suite?
It's a benefit that I'm supposed to be entitled to by spending over (75) in my case over 150 nights in a hotel. The point is, it should be offered at check in. I shouldn't have to ask over 50% of the time for an upgrade. Most of the time they do and sometimes they don't. I Get that. But when I get a lame brain excuse due to laziness, then I have a problem.
-A
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
It's a benefit that I'm supposed to be entitled to by spending over (75) in my case over 150 nights in a hotel. The point is, it should be offered at check in. I shouldn't have to ask over 50% of the time for an upgrade. Most of the time they do and sometimes they don't. I Get that. But when I get a lame brain excuse due to laziness, then I have a problem.
-A
+1.

I get it that Marriott is a for-profit company and want to rent the best rooms out for the most money possible. But, if the room is going to sit idle, it would seem as though the promised upgrade would be an easy choice, especially when a guest is loyal to a particular property.

Not to get off topic too far, but I did hear a funny one last week at SHS BWI. My profile preferences for room location are high floor, away from the elevator. When given my room assignment, it was on a middle floor next to the elevator. I asked if there were any high floor rooms, as noted in my profile. The front desk clerk responded, "Well, your profile does note the high floor preference, and the third floor where your room is located is pretty high. The profile doesn't say anything about being on the highest floor."

I tried to not laugh out loud but couldn't stop myself.

I do tend to check in late and often get the handicapped access room that's located on a lower floor near the front desk, so the few upgrades that I do see are a nice treat. And, I usually only make an issue about it when traveling for pleasure. One night in some random city isn't a big deal to me. But, as a PP, a few more upgrades here and there would be nice. I can't recall a single time that I used the app to check in and was assigned a room that was even close to my preferences, let alone an upgrade.

/rant.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I usually agree with except the suites tend to be in the corner, may have a separate entrance and could have separate bedroom door - a much quieter experience for those who have trouble sleeping in hotels (me). Some people can sleep through a Hurricane and I envy that...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If the system upgraded you based on availability. I can bet you that people would use it. There is no value (albeit a rare early checkin) that I can see.

I also agree about the lack of upgrades. I was recently at CY that stated they could tell If their were upgrades as their internet was down. Which is strAnge as they checked me in with no problem. So I went to the room plugged in my laptop and voila, I had internet access. I then confirm the upgrade is available And call the front desk from my cell to inquire. To which they tell me the room is available. I said "perfect! I'm in room xxx and would like the upgrade I'm entitled to as a platinum". There was dead silence followed by a "we will bring the keys right up". It's ridiculous that I had to do that... I emailed the gm and she was unaware of the outage and apologized. I don't normally play the dykwia card but if you give me a BS excuse...

-A
Wow - that is a new one. And a new low. Glad you did what you did. I'll never get why some $10/hour clerk gets off on such a power trip.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sleasure
Not to get off topic too far, but I did hear a funny one last week at SHS BWI. My profile preferences for room location are high floor, away from the elevator. When given my room assignment, it was on a middle floor next to the elevator. I asked if there were any high floor rooms, as noted in my profile. The front desk clerk responded, "Well, your profile does note the high floor preference, and the third floor where your room is located is pretty high. The profile doesn't say anything about being on the highest floor."
If the hotel has 4 floors, what the clerk said sounds reasonable. If 40, not so much.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
If you're a solo business traveller, why is the upgrade the most important benefit?
FWIW for me (unlike in your example, though) my stays are weekly and for months at a time; AFAIC that hotel is my defacto "home" so I'd like it to be as nice as possible.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
FWIW for me (unlike in your example, though) my stays are weekly and for months at a time; AFAIC that hotel is my defacto "home" so I'd like it to be as nice as possible.
Completely honest question and a completely honest answer. Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

-A
You definitely took the extra mile to get your well deserved upgrade. I have tried asking (Mr. is Plat and we did it when he was there checking in) but either the answer is 'we are sold out tonight' or 'if you pay $XX you can get one'. The excuse 'we are sold out' is widely used in the US while the other excuse is outside the US.

Back to OT, I couldn't even use mobile check-in because I have a WP
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by nacho
You definitely took the extra mile to get your well deserved upgrade. I have tried asking (Mr. is Plat and we did it when he was there checking in) but either the answer is 'we are sold out tonight' or 'if you pay $XX you can get one'. The excuse 'we are sold out' is widely used in the US while the other excuse is outside the US.
Now I'm going to have to go to the hotel's web site just before checking in, and see what sort of room is available for my stay.

Though that isn't definitive; I've had the website offer rooms that I know weren't available. (There were only a few of them, and I knew who had them.) But if I check without being logged in, I don't see that availability.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
marriott mobile app

Is anyone else having issues with the app? Everytime time i click on "view existing reservations" I get an error message. I can't check in on line, etc. Any idea whom to contact?
I have uninstalled several times.
Thanks
Old May 6, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Not having the issue that you're having. But I find that not being able to paste your password into the password field is SUPER annoying.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Popped up this morning to check in for the Northampton Marriott so thought I'd give it a go. Arrived at the hotel and they had a massive sign and special queue for people who had checked in on their mobile.

I went to see the chap standing there (who I know anyway) who said "ah, you must be Mr ChrisH" - was presented with a bag of presents (wine, chocolate saying congratulations on being the 1st online checkin, branded travel mug, bottle opener) and a card as I was the first (and only) person to use it apparently. Was announced to various passing staff members, seem to have become a minor celebrity!
Old May 7, 2014, 10:11 am

Does anyone know why they don't have self serve kiosks to pick up keys? Marriott LAX had it at one time. Some Hyatt and Sheraton hotels have it.

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; May 7, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Marriott Expands Mobile Check-in and Checkout Services to 10 Additional Brands

In August 2013, Marriott introduced mobile check-in at North American locations.

In November, the list of properties was expanded to include a number of international ones.

This morning, Marriott announced that an additional 10 brands
  • The Ritz-Carlton
  • JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
  • Renaissance Hotels
  • Autograph Collection
  • Courtyard
  • SpringHill Suites
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites
  • Residence Inn
  • TownePlace Suites
  • Marriott Executive Apartments
would be joining the mobile check-in and checkout program.

The service will automatically be available at 1,200 properties and will roll out across 4,000 more properties by the end of 2014.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...270896771.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.