Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I am finding it more helpful than not, but sometimes experience what OP did. It has helped me jump a very long line in a few major cities, although there doesn't seem to be a dedicated desk person ever assigned. If the check in line is extremely long, I will just stand by the sign trying for a little eye contact with the closest desk rep, and I am approached or called shortly after.

I'm sort of still convinced face to face gets you the upgrade you might want.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not an app. but I used Hilton's online check in recently and LOVED the ability to pick my own room.

It showed the floor plan for the hotel (floor by floor) and it was easy to identify the open rooms.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I can't say I've been asked for ID or had to produce my CC but they always ask if the CC on file is the one to be used for the reservation.

Only had one issue when the hotel forgot to them "click the button" after I said use the CC on file and only found out when I went to put our dinner onto the room tab that the waiter came back and said it was a problem. A quick trip to the reception soon got it sorted.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Like so many things with Marriott, it's hit or miss

Yet again, standard procedures do not appear to be followed universally

No coincidence that the "best service" hotels that I stay in, make check in a very simple & easy process

(Typed from the REN in VIE - check in maybe took 15 seconds, pre assigned suite, with handwritten "welcome" card in my room)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:30 pm

My experience has been all over the board and there seems to be a lack of consistency is my issue. Sometimes it is helpful, sometimes not.

For example, just checked in at the Marriott Waterfront in SF. Did the mobile check-in and they said thank you for using that, but we need your ID and credit card as we need to physically swipe the card.

Yes, the wonderful key packet was made, but truthfully, my experience prior to the mobile check-in was the majority of time, they already pre-assigned a room to elites. In this situation, no net gain....actually lose of a few seconds as I had to open up the app to check-in. The swiping of the credit card is roughly still 20% of the time using the app.

About 60% of time, show identification, and they ask me to confirm the last four on CC (which I have remember). The other 15% is they just had me the key once verifying who I am with an ID, and 5% just state my name and get the key and go.

The only benefit I personally see is IF I am arriving prior to check-in time. i honestly just do the mobile check-in solely because the stupid notification shows up on my phone to tell me to and I click it to go away

I have a belief though that the issue with mobile check-in is that it won't allow me an upgrade since they already assigned me to a room and the agent will see it as extra work to have to uncheck me in and change room and issue new keys, IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps this will explain it. What the app does, is email the front desk, to ask them to check you in. So it isn't integrated or anything. From that they generate the envelope with your key etc in it.

Sounds like different hotels have different policies re ID. Credit card checks I would imagine are if they don't have your credit card details - or perhaps they've been caught out by someone before.

T
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the app let you pre-answer questions like "points or amenity?" (for Plat check-in) or "do you have a car?" (for parking permit) or "one key or two"? That sort of stuff is half my conversation at check-in, so if I can't pre-answer all those, what's the point?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does the app let you pre-answer questions like "points or amenity?" (for Plat check-in) or "do you have a car?" (for parking permit) or "one key or two"? That sort of stuff is half my conversation at check-in, so if I can't pre-answer all those, what's the point?
Great point(s) - pun intended

Ought to be easy to implement & would make the entire process slicker...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
I use it for early check-ins like noon or earlier. The hotel will know what time to expect me and have my room ready.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Tried it for the first time this week at the JW NOLA. Needed an early arrival and set the time for 2pm. Got to the property later than expected at 4pm and no rooms available. Had to wait another hour for them to call me with an available room. Nothing gained from mobile check-in at all.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Last time I used mobile check-in they notify me that when the room is ready.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by nacho
Last time I used mobile check-in they notify me that when the room is ready.
+1, I used it for a check-in at a CY. Checked in the day before my stay. I got a notice my room was ready approx. 1 hour earlier than I had request (room was ready approx. noon instead of 1 PM in this case).

--Jon
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List+/CP, Hertz Pres Club, Marriott Platinum
I always use the mobile check-in the day before I arrive if I am arriving in a city prior to normal check in hours. For instance - I have used the app to ensure that my room will be ready at 11AM/1PM/1:30PM, etc. given the fact that they have a 24 hour heads up to have a room available at my desired time - which is convenient.

Whenever I use it they have never asked for ID/CC as they simply say "Thank you for using mobile check-in, we have your Marriott Card on file". It's cut my time at check-in down dramatically.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
I've noticed that the app checks me in whether I tap "check in" or not. The act of opening the app the day of my reservation automatically checks me in. This has happened twice so I don't think it's a fluke. Anyone else have this?
Old May 1, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I've noticed that the app checks me in whether I tap "check in" or not. The act of opening the app the day of my reservation automatically checks me in. This has happened twice so I don't think it's a fluke. Anyone else have this?
Nope. Never happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.