Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Red259
By using the app am I losing any chance at an upgrade? Normally I ask at the desk when checking in.
Considering that most of my upgrades have been by politely asking "... so, any upgrades available tonight for me?", I'd say "Yes, you are" and that's why I'd never use the app unless I'm just in-and-out and don't care about what room I'm in.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'd use the app and see if an upgrade was available. If not, I'd quit before selecting a room and see if the front desk would give me one.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thanks for the tip- I had no idea the app would even suggest an upgrade (never having used it for that )
Old May 21, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Thanks for the tip- I had no idea the app would even suggest an upgrade (never having used it for that )
I rather just check in personally. I stayed in san jose two weeks ago and scored an upgrade to a jr suite. I asked her later to see if I could get the same room for my next stay (tomorrow). Mind you I had booked a non view standard room during a conference of 3 days with all downtown hotels fully booked for months. So she asked the supervisor im guessing and she said only upgrades are available the day of check in if any. I expected that, she said ahe could not do anything but would put it on her personal notes. I received thw survey and mentioned her how outstanding she was. One or two days later I check my reservation and sure enough the room was upgraded to a jr suite about a week before the actual check in. I thought of tipping her or something if I saw her tomorrow but I dont know what the appropriate thing to do would be.

Anyways now that I know I got the upgrade i dont know if I should use it or just check in personally with the agents bwcause It makes a huge difference. I guess it depends on how flooded the desk is
Old May 22, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jm1991
I rather just check in personally. I stayed in san jose two weeks ago and scored an upgrade to a jr suite. I asked her later to see if I could get the same room for my next stay (tomorrow). Mind you I had booked a non view standard room during a conference of 3 days with all downtown hotels fully booked for months. So she asked the supervisor im guessing and she said only upgrades are available the day of check in if any. I expected that, she said ahe could not do anything but would put it on her personal notes. I received thw survey and mentioned her how outstanding she was. One or two days later I check my reservation and sure enough the room was upgraded to a jr suite about a week before the actual check in. I thought of tipping her or something if I saw her tomorrow but I dont know what the appropriate thing to do would be.

Anyways now that I know I got the upgrade i dont know if I should use it or just check in personally with the agents bwcause It makes a huge difference. I guess it depends on how flooded the desk is
Depending on the hotel, front desk clerks might or might not be allowed to accept tips. They are allowed to accept chocolate.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jm1991
I thought of tipping her or something if I saw her tomorrow but I dont know what the appropriate thing to do would be.

Don't tip her. Then it becomes a bribe/pay off ala the Cosmo. If she's there compliment her on her service last time or send an email or letter to the GM complimenting her (and not just focusing on the upgrade) & ask that a copy be put in her personnel file.

I'd still go w/ the in-person check-in. BTW - just because the jr. suite has been assigned doesn't mean it will still be available (hence the in-person check in where you still might be able to talk yourself into something). We had an FTer check into a London hotel via mobile app, saw he had been upgraded to a suite, and when he arrived discovered he had been downgraded to a regular room as they were able to sell the suite he had been assigned.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
app check in and upgrade- gold status

I'm thinking that by using the app the chances of an upgrade are less likely

The other day I checked into Lansing as gold status was given a regular room my associate who is silver and didn't check in on the app was upgraded to the concierge level. Tomorrow I'm supposed to check into the Marriott DFW airport and my app is asking me to check in now. Bad idea right?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There's a thread on the topic, but a lot are leaning against mobile app figuring their chances are better at check-in for upgrade. BTW - you can check your ressie later today to see if they've already given you an upgrade. A # of the full service properties run their upgrades the day/night before.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:07 pm

how do you check the ressie?

also I searched for the thread and didn't see it before I posted.....

your uber assistance would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Click on room details. Online or in the app.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Typically a property will update your reservation record online if they have pre-blocked you into an upgraded room. Using either the web or the app you can pull up the rez and see what room type is showing. There is no guarantee a change will stick, so if you find you have the original room type when you arrive, you can ask about the upgrade, but it might not happen.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:11 pm

thank you
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:29 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There's a thread on the topic, but a lot are leaning against mobile app figuring their chances are better at check-in for upgrade. BTW - you can check your ressie later today to see if they've already given you an upgrade. A # of the full service properties run their upgrades the day/night before.

Cheers.

Actually, I usually get upgraded before I even check in--through the app or in person. I request the upgrade as part of the virtual concierge service. I see the upgrade occur usually a day to a week before my stay. When I check in through the app, I am checking into my upgraded room.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Typically a property will update your reservation record online if they have pre-blocked you into an upgraded room. Using either the web or the app you can pull up the rez and see what room type is showing. There is no guarantee a change will stick, so if you find you have the original room type when you arrive, you can ask about the upgrade, but it might not happen.
I wonder whether checking in early on the app when you see that you have an upgraded room would make it more likely that the upgrade sticks. I would expect hotels to try to avoid changing your room number from the time you check in on the app and when you actually arrive at the hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:59 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether checking in early on the app when you see that you have an upgraded room would make it more likely that the upgrade sticks. I would expect hotels to try to avoid changing your room number from the time you check in on the app and when you actually arrive at the hotel.
I have never not had the upgrade stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.