Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Register for Fall 2013 MegaBonus by November 15, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Initial list copied from post 82. Please add any additional alternate offers you may have gotten.

Marriott has now announced the 2013 Megabonus Promotion and you are able to sign up immediately. From what I can tell here are the options available to you though you will already be assigned to one of these options when you sign into your Marriott account. Option 1 is open to anyone.

1. Free night category 1-5 certificate for every two stays. Maximum of two free night certificates.

2. 25,000 bonus points after 15 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights for total of 40,000 bonus points for 20 nights.

3. 25,000 bonus points after 12 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 18 paid nights for total of 40,000 bonus points for 18 nights.

4. 35,000 bonus points after 20 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 25 paid nights for total of 50,000 bonus points for 25 nights.

You can also sign up at MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus2013.
Print Wikipost

Register for Fall 2013 MegaBonus by November 15, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
IMO, your attempt at humor was in very poor taste...........

Originally Posted by mooper
If asked and he literally says, "my wife will be coming", not specifying when, it isn't lying if she comes to the hotel a week, month, or years later. Also, there's another meaning that wouldn't involve visiting the hotel at all and it could still be accurate (you might have missed my earlier poor attempt at humor).

Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
But he need not lie. He could check in under his wife's account and say nothing about his wife. You are allowed to have someone else make a reservation for you under their account... it's just that Marriott says they won't post the points/nights in those cases. It's Marriott's fault if they post the points/nights as if she was there.

If asked and he literally says, "my wife will be coming", not specifying when, it isn't lying if she comes to the hotel a week, month, or years later. Also, there's another meaning that wouldn't involve visiting the hotel at all and it could still be accurate (you might have missed my earlier poor attempt at humor).

They sometimes price trips that pass through a hub more cheaply than one that terminates there. You're not supposed to buy a ticket intending to skip out on some segments, as it leaves them with empty seats they could have sold instead. And yet many people buy two one-ways instead of a round trip to get around the rule that would kill the itinerary by rule.

My point was that FTers come up with ways to save money that aren't always in line with what the airline/hotel wants nor in the spirit of the rules, but it's hardly lying/cheating/stealing/fraud to simply leave some things unsaid.
You are wrong. Even if the poster does not explicitly say his wife will arrive, the entire scheme is with intent to deceive for unearned gain. It is stealing. Again, if it is acceptable, there would be no reason to not just be straight forward and tell Marriott exactly what is being done. You and I both know the poster will not do that because Marriott would not allow the certs or points to be issued. The actions are dishonest.

BTW, not flying the last segment is a violation of the CoC. Someone who does that can be required to pay the additional fare and have his FF account canceled. Also, there is a difference between doing what the travel vendor does not want but is legally allowed versus telling a lie to steal.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:09 pm
Suspended

+1

Originally Posted by CJKatl
You are wrong. Even if the poster does not explicitly say his wife will arrive, the entire scheme is with intent to deceive for unearned gain. It is stealing. Again, if it is acceptable, there would be no reason to not just be straight forward and tell Marriott exactly what is being done. You and I both know the poster will not do that because Marriott would not allow the certs or points to be issued. The actions are dishonest.

BTW, not flying the last segment is a violation of the CoC. Someone who does that can be required to pay the additional fare and have his FF account canceled. Also, there is a difference between doing what the travel vendor does not want but is legally allowed versus telling a lie to steal.
But he need not lie. He could check in under his wife's account and say nothing about his wife. You are allowed to have someone else make a reservation for you under their account... it's just that Marriott says they won't post the points/nights in those cases. It's Marriott's fault if they post the points/nights as if she was there.

My point was that FTers come up with ways to save money that aren't always in line with what the airline/hotel wants nor in the spirit of the rules, but it's hardly lying/cheating/stealing/fraud to simply leave some things unsaid.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
For simplicity, I booked some rooms for my wife using the Marriott App. The rooms were in my name. She checked in as Mrs. Fivevsone. Had a lovely stay at several places in Colorado.

She stayed at 2 different places, it paid out normal points, plus a 5000 point bonus (for 2 stays).

According to the current tone of the thread, I 'broke the law' in some way?

Seems preposterous.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:36 pm
Suspended

correct..........you violated the T&Cs as you did not stay in the room.........

1.A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Violation(s) of the T&Cs "can" lead to your acc't being closed and all points, etc. forfeited, so please keep publishing your violation in this monitored forum......

Originally Posted by fivevsone
For simplicity, I booked some rooms for my wife using the Marriott App. The rooms were in my name. She checked in as Mrs. Fivevsone. Had a lovely stay at several places in Colorado.

She stayed at 2 different places, it paid out normal points, plus a 5000 point bonus (for 2 stays).

According to the current tone of the thread, I 'broke the law' in some way?

Seems preposterous.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Sep 18, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I see that it is outside of the T&Cs to earn points for the stay.

But, surely it is not a "crime" or "unethical" or "dishonest" to book a room for my wife in my name?

Sometimes I might get points, other times i might not. My wife would benefit from having Gold or Platinum on the reservation.

It is easy and convenient to book it for her via the App (since she is no road warrior) and what benefits accrue, well I guess I will be happy to get them...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

But, surely it is not a "crime" or "unethical" or "dishonest" to book a room for my wife in my name?

Sometimes I might get points, other times i might not. My wife would benefit from having Gold or Platinum on the reservation.

It is easy and convenient to book it for her via the App (since she is no road warrior) and what benefits accrue, well I guess I will be happy to get them...
Obviously you know it is, or you would just tell the hotel that this is what you're doing, rather than justifying by saying, "My wife would benefit from having Gold or Platinum on the reservation." BTW, way to be generous when Marriott is footing the bill. If you want to treat your wife to CL access, why not just pay for it yourself, rather than giving her a gift on Marriott's dime?

FWIW, I've made reservations for family and friends from my account, but in their names, and they are usually given CL access, despite it being clear I won't be there. These have always been points stays.

The two certs are worth up to $500. The poster asked us how he can steal $500 from Marriott. It's hard to believe anyone would stand behind his wanting to do that. It's no different than claiming extra children you don't have to get a bigger tax deduction, or making up receipts to get money from your employer that really isn't a reimbursement, or claiming a non-existant injury to get a payout from a company. It's telling a lie to get something you aren't entitled to. It's stealing. Why not just be honorable, earn what can be earned, and be thankful for the benefit? Why try to figure out how to steal from Marriott?

Last edited by CJKatl; Sep 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
correct..........you violated the T&Cs as you did not stay in the room.........

1.A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Violation(s) of the T&Cs "can" lead to your acc't being closed and all points, etc. forfeited, so please keep publishing your violation in this monitored forum......
Heh. Are you serious? That is referring to points/miles earning, not whether it is required that a member stay in a room when they've booked it. Do you really think Marriott discourages people from booking a room for friends, family, employees, etc.? I can just see it now... "Sir, we don't care that they were attending a funeral and you were helping with the arrangements... you should have logged out first, or otherwise called and told us that you weren't going to be with them!"

You are wrong. Even if the poster does not explicitly say his wife will arrive, the entire scheme is with intent to deceive for unearned gain. It is stealing.
Marriott is awarding the points even though they say they shouldn't be. There is no scheme. You are confusing fraud/stealing (something the customer would be doing wrong) with something Marriott is giving away against their terms. Not to mention, hotels and airlines often give away more than they promise, i.e., not following their own rules, intentionally to drive loyalty. Do you think that every loophole discovered on FT is unintentional?

Again, if it is acceptable, there would be no reason to not just be straight forward and tell Marriott exactly what is being done. You and I both know the poster will not do that because Marriott would not allow the certs or points to be issued. The actions are dishonest.
It has nothing to do with dishonesty. It has everything to do with not volunteering information that amounts to asking them to follow their own policies more closely.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended

if you know its outside the T&Cs then by the very nature of that knowledge your actions are both unethical and dishonest.........

12.The Company reserves the right to revoke, cancel or suspend any Rewards Program Membership, elite membership status (including Lifetime Silver, Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum status), Reward, and/or any and all unredeemed Points or Miles, or take other action at its discretion, at any time with immediate effect and without written notice, if Company believes the Member has (1) violated any of the Program Rules, (2) failed to pay any bills or accounts due to the Company or a participating hotel or any ownership related fees owed to Marriott Vacation Club, (3) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable law, regulations or ordinances, (4) engaged in any misconduct or wrongdoing in connection with the Rewards Program, including without limitation, involving Point credit, Mile credit, Reward use, or Member benefits, or (5) engaged in abusive, fraudulent, inappropriate, or hostile conduct in connection with the Rewards Program, the participating hotels or their guests or employees, or the Company or its employees.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

as I place at the end of all papers filed, BE GOVERNED ACCORDINGLY !!

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:00 pm

The two certs are worth up to $500. The poster asked us how he can steal $500 from Marriott. It's hard to believe anyone would stand behind his wanting to do that. It's no different than claiming extra children you don't have to get a bigger tax deduction...
For the record, I'm starting to think you and BKKLEE are just trying to get a rise out of us. You're equating tax fraud (fabricating information you are *legally* bound to tell accurately) with something that Marriott says they will do and has every right to skimp on it should they wish. You know very well that Marriott offering something beyond what they promise isn't different from Delta offering an operational upgrade because of a mistake on their part. Customers are perfectly within the T&C to book a room for others while logged into their account, and while you're correct that Marriott says that would negate points/miles earnings, it certainly doesn't obligate the customer to volunteer information to force them to follow their own policies.

Last edited by mooper; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:03 pm
Suspended

CJKatl can speak for himself but I'm starting to believe that you're fivevsone's clone............

For the record, I'm starting to think you are BKLEE ..............
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:05 pm

if you know its outside the T&Cs then by the very nature of that knowledge your actions are both unethical and dishonest.........
Too funny. Read more carefully. That section is irrelevant because it deals with customers who violate the terms. Someone who knows that Marriott has given them points because Marriott didn't enforce *their own policies* isn't violating the terms. This isn't aiding and abetting a crime... customers have no obligation to correct Marriott when they give an upgrade their terms don't promise, issue points in excess of what they normally would, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:08 pm

CJKatl can speak for himself but I'm starting to believe that you're fivevsone's clone............
That was a typo, now corrected. You need to read more carefully, I need to type more carefully. I meant to write "you *and* BKKLEE", not "you *are* BKKLEE". I believe you are who you say! Aren't you the same dude who claimed that you haven't already guaranteed payment when you check in and they swipe/authorize your credit card?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:12 pm
Suspended

no...................you must be confused (but based upon your posts that question of whether you are or not has been answered)..............

Aren't you the same dude who claimed that you haven't already guaranteed payment when you check in and they swipe/authorize your credit card?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:54 pm

no...................you must be confused (but based upon your posts that question of whether you are or not has been answered)..............
A typo makes me confused? Now I'm confused!

I looked it up - was you. You were saying that a Marriott could have you arrested for nonpayment if they didn't accept your Gift Card and you walked... despite the fact you've guaranteed payment at checkin via your CC.

Back on topic... you still haven't explained out what T&Cs the *customer* has violated if Marriott posts points/miles beyond what is promised. A customer has no obligation to highlight details of their stay in an attempt to get it corrected, so if that customer earns free nights via this Megabonus by booking for their spouse and not pointing it out, there's no rule being broken by that customer. Marriott is bending their own rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.