Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Register for Fall 2013 MegaBonus by November 15, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Initial list copied from post 82. Please add any additional alternate offers you may have gotten.

Marriott has now announced the 2013 Megabonus Promotion and you are able to sign up immediately. From what I can tell here are the options available to you though you will already be assigned to one of these options when you sign into your Marriott account. Option 1 is open to anyone.

1. Free night category 1-5 certificate for every two stays. Maximum of two free night certificates.

2. 25,000 bonus points after 15 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights for total of 40,000 bonus points for 20 nights.

3. 25,000 bonus points after 12 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 18 paid nights for total of 40,000 bonus points for 18 nights.

4. 35,000 bonus points after 20 nights + additional 15,000 bonus points after 25 paid nights for total of 50,000 bonus points for 25 nights.

You can also sign up at MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus2013.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by punjabi2
...If I sign my wife for marriott rewards, and she gets this promo in her account, can we get the free night certs if I stay using her rewards number (she doesn't stay). This will be tried only after I have earned 2 free nights under my own account. Or, the best scenario will be, if possible:...
You are asking if it's okay to lie, cheat and steal.

The lie: Your wife is staying. The cheat: Not play by the rules. The steal: Getting Marriott to issue certs for which you are not eligible.

Hopefully if you tried doing this, both the MR accounts would be shut down, all your certs canceled and you would be charge with a crime. Telling lies to get something you wouldn't otherwise get is fraud.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You are asking if it's okay to lie, cheat and steal.

The lie: Your wife is staying. The cheat: Not play by the rules. The steal: Getting Marriott to issue certs for which you are not eligible.

Hopefully if you tried doing this, both the MR accounts would be shut down, all your certs canceled and you would be charge with a crime. Telling lies to get something you wouldn't otherwise get is fraud.
He doesn't have to lie, cheat, nor steal. If his wife books but he shows up instead and they allow the rule to be broken and issue the cert, he has nothing to feel badly about. It is about as fraudulent as someone who buys flights with no intention of flying the last segment (against the rules, misleads the airline) just to save money.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Will payment by gift card count towards the promo? Ie book it using a Visa or AMEX CC but at checkout whip out a Marriott GC.

Apologies if answered way upthread.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Will payment by gift card count towards the promo? Ie book it using a Visa or AMEX CC but at checkout whip out a Marriott GC.

Why wouldn't it?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:15 pm

Will payment by gift card count towards the promo?
Yes.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
He doesn't have to lie, cheat, nor steal. If his wife books but he shows up instead and they allow the rule to be broken and issue the cert, he has nothing to feel badly about. It is about as fraudulent as someone who buys flights with no intention of flying the last segment (against the rules, misleads the airline) just to save money.
If he lies, claiming his wife is coming when she has no intention of coming, but the hotel acts based on his lie he has stolen the certificate. Stealing. No other word for it. He should be ashamed.

If it's above board, why doesn't he just call Marriott and tell them that he's going to do this. Certainly if it's not a lie, cheating or stealing, he should have no problem telling them of his plan, should he?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:03 pm

Quote:

Will payment by gift card count towards the promo?

Yes.
Thanks. $1000 in fresh Southwest bonus earning Marriott GCs arrived this morning - time to put them to use as a newly comped Gold courtesy of UA!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Quote:

Why wouldn't it?
I am a Marriott virgin that just discovered gold and gift card promos. Be gentle
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:15 pm

Thanks for the reply and comments. I am trying to do it right in FT...still learning...

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
if you read the T&Cs regarding these certs the technical answer is no, however, it seems to be done all the time (as posted by repeated posters)............
and, as a proclaimed newbee, thanks for posting your question in the appropriate thread as too many others "think" their question(s) are so unique they start new threads when there are existing threads covering the exact same question.........
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:21 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips

Welcome to FT!

Easiest is to initially redeem the free cert(s) via your account online, as if you were staying: Choose an award redemption, as you would if using points, and the cert(s) will take the place of the points as you confirm the reservation (if the property is Cat 1-5). Once reserved, simply contact the property to change the name of the person staying to whomever you want. This is perfectly allowable with other stays and the use of the cert(s) shouldn't inspire any questions or difficulties otherwise.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:27 am

If he lies, claiming his wife is coming when she has no intention of coming, but the hotel acts based on his lie he has stolen the certificate. Stealing. No other word for it. He should be ashamed.
If they misinterpret "my wife is coming later", that makes it a lie? His wife could be coming the next week or even the next year. Heck, my wife comes all the time.

It's not your job to comb through the rules with the front desk and ensure that they understand your precise arrangement and enforce every rule accurately.

If it's above board, why doesn't he just call Marriott and tell them that he's going to do this. Certainly if it's not a lie, cheating or stealing, he should have no problem telling them of his plan, should he?
He could call right after he calls the airline rewards mall to inform them that they meant to post "earn 5 miles per dollar spent" but they have a typo that says "earn 50 miles per dollar spent" so they can correct it and deduct the extra miles from his account.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:31 am

If they misinterpret "my wife is coming later", that makes it a lie? His wife could be coming the next week or even the next year. Heck, my wife comes all the time.

It's not your job to comb through the rules with the front desk and ensure that they understand your precise arrangement and enforce every rule accurately.
If he tells the hotel that his wife is coming to the hotel and will be staying in the room, when, in fact, his wife will not be at the hotel at all, he is telling a lie. He knows it is against the rules.

It's simple. While he doesn't need to comb through the rules with the front desk, he needs to be honorable and honest. Why not just say to the front desk, "I want to get extra certs, so I'm checking in under my wife's name, but she will not be staying at the hotel tonight." If the hotel, knowing the facts as they are, chooses to let him stay in his wife's name, there isn't a problem.

Being dishonest to get something you otherwise are not entitled to receive is stealing. It's fraud. It's illegal. The defense that it's the victim's fault because the victim shouldn't have believed the lie doesn't fly.

When Marriott pulled the BOGOs, it was claimed that there was too much fraud connected with their use. At the time, my mind couldn't comprehend what could have been going on. If people look for ways to steal free hotel nights through this promotion, how long will it be until before the MegaBonus joins the BOGOs in promotional heaven?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
It is about as fraudulent as someone who buys flights with no intention of flying the last segment (against the rules, misleads the airline) just to save money.
Maybe a bit off subject, but could you explain this?

Against the rules ok... but what should the airline care?

(I get they do, I just don't get why. I have had the great fortune of buying very few tickets)
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by superpilot21

(I get they do, I just don't get why. I have had the great fortune of buying very few tickets)
Lost revenue. If you book a YQB-DTW-RSW flight at $395 and don't use the DTW-RSW segment, instead of purchasing the YQB-DTW only flight at $700, the airline has effectively lost $305 in revenue from you.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:32 pm

If he tells the hotel that his wife is coming to the hotel and will be staying in the room, when, in fact, his wife will not be at the hotel at all, he is telling a lie. He knows it is against the rules.
But he need not lie. He could check in under his wife's account and say nothing about his wife. You are allowed to have someone else make a reservation for you under their account... it's just that Marriott says they won't post the points/nights in those cases. It's Marriott's fault if they post the points/nights as if she was there.

If asked and he literally says, "my wife will be coming", not specifying when, it isn't lying if she comes to the hotel a week, month, or years later. Also, there's another meaning that wouldn't involve visiting the hotel at all and it could still be accurate (you might have missed my earlier poor attempt at humor).

Originally Posted by superpilot21

They sometimes price trips that pass through a hub more cheaply than one that terminates there. You're not supposed to buy a ticket intending to skip out on some segments, as it leaves them with empty seats they could have sold instead. And yet many people buy two one-ways instead of a round trip to get around the rule that would kill the itinerary by rule.

My point was that FTers come up with ways to save money that aren't always in line with what the airline/hotel wants nor in the spirit of the rules, but it's hardly lying/cheating/stealing/fraud to simply leave some things unsaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.