Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well you've vented about it enough - got it out of your system yet? Time to move on...
Hmmm...seems a bit harsh. Plenty of people in this thread coming from the other side.

I'm actually going to side with the OP here. The Essex house isn't ~that~ spectacular and I tend to think that it's a bit overpriced for what it is. Great location only made better if you get a view. But views from the other three sides of the hotel can be pretty poor.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
You brought up RI, not RC. RI's in Manhattan really only have street views. I don't consider a view of the side of Times Square or seeing some trees in CP from 4+ avenues away being "views."

LOL. Don't worry, I don't.... I have an Exclusive Resorts membership....
Well you haven't stayed at the new RI with sweeping Central Park views. So please don't tell me what I did and didn't see. Sitting in that room was like being in a helicopter flying through manhattan. Please reserve your comments about things you actually know.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Update on exec lounge...

Contacted someone at Essex House re: the date of the exec lounge re-opening; received the following.

"Our final finished product has recently opened (just last week) and we are very excited about it and hope you will be as well.

A couple of things about the lounge – it’s open 7-days a week serving a full American breakfast buffet while offering evening canapés and honor bar 5 nights a week. Appointed with comfortable seating, new TV walls, a well-stocked buffet with great culinary options and a variety of drinks are available. It really is a wonderful lounge.

As this is New York City and one of the most coveted destinations in the world, our hotel will experience some weekends where the lounge will be crowded. We’ve redesigned the interior and even repositioned the service stations so that our lounge attendants will be able to be more efficient in servicing the buffet lines to accommodate our valuable guests.
"

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Contacted someone at Essex House re: the date of the exec lounge re-opening; received the following.

"Our final finished product has recently opened (just last week) and we are very excited about it and hope you will be as well.

A couple of things about the lounge – it’s open 7-days a week serving a full American breakfast buffet while offering evening canapés and honor bar 5 nights a week. Appointed with comfortable seating, new TV walls, a well-stocked buffet with great culinary options and a variety of drinks are available. It really is a wonderful lounge.

As this is New York City and one of the most coveted destinations in the world, our hotel will experience some weekends where the lounge will be crowded. We’ve redesigned the interior and even repositioned the service stations so that our lounge attendants will be able to be more efficient in servicing the buffet lines to accommodate our valuable guests.
"

Cheers.
Will stay there in Aug for a Board Meeting and will report if the above hype meets reality unless some one beats me to it. Then again, I didn't think anything was wrong with the old lounge in the first place except the $15 vodka drink!
Old May 21, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I see this property has its suites on sale on Vacationist from $267/night for a Junior suite. Seems to be about 2/3 of the price on Marriott.com (even less with referral credit) Must not like giving the suites to Marriott elites.

I guess a LNF claim wont fly, Vacationist was perhaps originally referral only, but now anyone can sign up on the site, its not restricted in any way?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I see this property has its suites on sale on Vacationist from $267/night for a Junior suite. Must not like giving the suites to Marriott elites.
I would say that any hotel (of any chain) that can sell a junior suite would prefer to do so vs. giving it away for free to an elite.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2014, 3:04 am
Suspended

I would say that any hotel (of any chain) that can sell a junior suite would prefer to do so vs. giving it away for free to an elite.

Cheers.
But should not do so undercutting marriott.com
Old May 27, 2014, 4:17 am

Exec lounge

Stayed there over Memorial day weekend and the lounge was plenty busy to be expected but the makeover is a solid result. The staff was harried yet plenty visible in the effort to clear and refresh as soon as possible.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by anjeo
Stayed there over Memorial day weekend and the lounge was plenty busy to be expected but the makeover is a solid result. The staff was harried yet plenty visible in the effort to clear and refresh as soon as possible.
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
Plus:
* Tables with textured tops that were dirt traps are gone

Minus:
*No smoked salmon, parfaits or Naked smoothies for breakfast
*Fewer fruit choices for breakfast
*Refrigerator for sodas put beneath coffee station

Definitely a downgrade
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Staying here this weekend, excited to try it out! Hopefully a central park suite is in the upgrade cards as a PP, can anyone share any more recent experiences?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nevansm
Staying here this weekend, excited to try it out! Hopefully a central park suite is in the upgrade cards as a PP, can anyone share any more recent experiences?
That's being very hopeful, what did you book? I would proactively contact them and let them know your expectations.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
That's being very hopeful, what did you book? I would proactively contact them and let them know your expectations.
Yes, definitely do that in advance and play the "special event" card if necessary. I stayed there a few months ago, as a PP, and the FD made a big deal of giving me a "park view" room - on the 3rd floor overlooking the main entrance.

And it was a big deal to get the PAW points to get credited!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:00 am

Does anyone have an email contact for the Front Desk Manager or GM? Trying to arrange something for my Parents (platinums) for their 50th Wedding anniversary.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
Smoked salmon is back. Not sure why they put two of each fruit on one side of the cooling station. It would be much more effective to have one of everything on one side and one on the other thereby allowing two independent lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.