Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I'm confused. Can someone help me out? I've been platinum a couple of years now, but have never noticed the Platinum Override in any searches. For example (not that this is an exciting place to go), I am looking to book some rooms in Bloomington IL for the weekend of March 13-14 or March 14-15. I believe Marriott has three hotels in the area (a Marriott conference hotel, a RI, and a FFI). When I enter my dates, I can only see the Marriott and FFI, and not the RI. What do other platinums see? What am I supposed to do to turn "on" that feature? Or, is there an exemption in place for those days?

And, I've never really ever seen the language other reference in regards to letting you know it's a PO rate (though I guess I just never click on the super high rates)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the Residence Inn has a 2 night minimum. I see it for a request for 13-15, but not for just 13-14 or 14-15.

PO's do not override stay length minimums.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:12 pm

For the first time ever, I am able to use the Plat override! ^

I just tried booking my favorite CY in Atlanta on Carnegie Way on our corporate booking tool, and it said sold out, so went to good old Marriott and check, and sure enough, it didn't pop up. After logging into my account though, it came up with a reasonable price for once at $249!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
PO's do not override stay length minimums.
Actually they do
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't seem right. I thought the whole hotel had to be booked by a group to get a Plat Override exception? If the whole hotel was booked, how was I able to get a room only if I booked both nights?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Whats going on in Tokyo?

I need 3 nights, Apr 4-7. I was able to reserve nights of 5&6 at the Courtyard Tokyo Station for a reasonable rate. For the night of the 4th, Platinum override would only work for the Courtyard Ginza. I prefer the Ginza property, but 60,000 Yen??? Ouch!

Also noticed for the 1st time that the rate at the Nagoya Marriott is variable depending on the number of guests. 1 guest = ~26,000 Yen and 2 guests = ~ 34,000 Yen. Regular rate...breakfast not included. Maybe this is the norm and I just never noticed?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Also noticed for the 1st time that the rate at the Nagoya Marriott is variable depending on the number of guests. 1 guest = ~26,000 Yen and 2 guests = ~ 34,000 Yen. Regular rate...breakfast not included. Maybe this is the norm and I just never noticed?
Definitely an extra charge for the 2nd person in Japan. Quite common. Happened on a visit for us a few years ago. Wife and I were traveling with my uncle. I always defaulted to two in a room. She was getting a different price for his room than i was. It was because she had one guest. Then I checked Flyertalk and saw that the extra person bumped the price. This was at the CY Ginza.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:27 am

Can someone clue me in to how this works? Since I'm Platinum, should I just be able to search and find hotels? Or is there something I'm supposed to check to activate the PO?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lockman21
Can someone clue me in to how this works? Since I'm Platinum, should I just be able to search and find hotels? Or is there something I'm supposed to check to activate the PO?

Thanks!
If you're logged in you're not actually notified that the Platinum override is in play, it will just show you availability.

The way to tell if the PO is working is do a search - without being logged in & then do a search while logged in - if the property isn't available when you're not logged in (aka, when the system thinks you're general Jane/John Doe) but is available when you are logged in (knows you're a Plat), then you know the override is kicking in. Also, the override is only for the Plat's room.

Please note that special events (think Super Bowl, NYE) the Plat override may not be available - but for those special events the property has to get permission from Marriott & it's not an on-going thing, but is more one-off for certain events/times.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I take it this feature is similar to Hilton's Diamond Force?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yes, it is similar to the Hilton Diamond Force. What I like about the Marriott Plat Override is that the hotel doesn't have any direct way to control the Override inventory. Since the reservation is made through Marriott's central reservations, the only way a hotel can stop Marriott from allowing a Plat to make a reservation is for the hotel to petition Marriott directly to not allow the Plat Override. And Marriott will only do that if the hotel can show that some group or event has contracted for all the hotel rooms at the hotel.

But as mentioned, Marriott doesn't pop-up a window or do much to let you know that the only reason you can see any inventory is because of the Plat Override. So it is easy to think you never use it not knowing you may have used it many times.

Also the rate for a FS hotel is the hotel's general Corp Rate which is usually well less than their Rack Rate. I once went to a conference in NO where the conference rented a lot of the rooms at the Marriott next to Bourbon Street. It turned out the conference didn't rent out all the rooms (just a large block). So I was able to get a reservation at the Corp rate (using a Plat override) which was less than all my friends who stayed using the Convention rate as that was the only rate they could get a room with.
Wickersley likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
i have noticed less hotels showing up in a number of searches on a weekly basis in San Jose Ca. for example you telling the Courtyard on holger way is getting a sign off almost weekly to not allow a plat. over ride? Two weeks in a row i tried to book a wed night and nothing is showing up on the website. Call in and tell me the hotel is sold out but i guess i thought that was the power of the over ride.

thanks
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
i have noticed less hotels showing up in a number of searches on a weekly basis in San Jose Ca. for example you telling the Courtyard on holger way is getting a sign off almost weekly to not allow a plat. over ride? Two weeks in a row i tried to book a wed night and nothing is showing up on the website. Call in and tell me the hotel is sold out but i guess i thought that was the power of the over ride.

thanks
I know Marriott and years ago when he was an active member and acknowledged and well respected Marriott expert, Socrates, always claim the only way for a hotel to block a platinum override is with a waiver for a special event issued by Marriott. My experience has been somewhat different.

A property at I stay at near my out of town family is frequently not available many times a year. I have also seen lack of availability at a number of random business properties when other very nearby Marriott properties are available. So my empirical experience leads me to conclude one of two things:
  1. The criteria for getting a waiver are relatively lax and they aren't that rare after all.
  2. Something else is going on in the system (intended or unintended) where the hotels are still blocking inventory for platinum overrides even though it is >48 hours before the stay.

I have also seen many times where the platinum override does work and the rates have been reasonable. So netting it out, it is a useful feature but doesn't provide the universal availability at 48+ hours in advance that it is advertised to do. I have experienced far too many exceptions for it to be considered universal for me. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I know Marriott and years ago when he was an active member and acknowledged and well respected Marriott expert, Socrates, always claim the only way for a hotel to block a platinum override is with a waiver for a special event issued by Marriott.
Socrates was a great resource. Hopefully all is good with him.

Yes, it seems there are more blackout dates now. It used to be that only a huge, unusual event, like a convention for which the entire hotel was booked or a Super Bowl or Penn State football weekend in Altoona would allow for a blackout and hotels were limited in the number allowed. Now it seems an ordinarily busy week may be enough. I recently called a hotel trying to get in and the front desk didn't even know of an event that would warrant a blackout. The Hampton didn't have a blackout so I stayed there at a low rate.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Socrates was a great resource. Hopefully all is good with him.

Yes, it seems there are more blackout dates now. It used to be that only a huge, unusual event, like a convention for which the entire hotel was booked or a Super Bowl or Penn State football weekend in Altoona would allow for a blackout and hotels were limited in the number allowed. Now it seems an ordinarily busy week may be enough. I recently called a hotel trying to get in and the front desk didn't even know of an event that would warrant a blackout. The Hampton didn't have a blackout so I stayed there at a low rate.
I definitely find that is one perk that Hilton delivers miles above Marriott as far as having rooms available. Also Hilton generally allows point redemption for those types of hotels as well. In fact I just re-booked a room in Indy for the Big10 game and Hilton had 4-5 properties right downtown with Platinum over-ride, 250-400, or points and Marriott had 2 with rates over $400 a night and no points redemption options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.