Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,IHG Platinum, HH Gold, OZ Diamond (*G), AA Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Also agree. makes my cat 1-4 mega bonus room almost worthless
+1000000000
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wizzy
JW Marriott in Grand Rapids went from 4->5 offcycle in Nov 2011; now jumping to 6. 2 tiers in 18 months!
This makes me le sad. First losing the ability to use Megabonus certs, now the Chase certs.

I know I'm just a single patron, and my redemption habits may not be representative of the whole, but I'm curious how much better off the hotel really is without certificate redemptions. The hotel did get some recompense for the certificates, right? Mrs Roo and I came out many times as a weekend getaway, when the hotel didn't seem to be that full to begin with, and additionally spent some money on spa/f&b. We're certainly not going out there to do the same with cash or points. It seems to me that the hotel and I both lose in this scenario.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:06 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by WAS
MegaBonus Cat 1-4 certificates just went from potentially useful to pretty much useless.
Cat 1-4 Certs earned in the Spring MegaBonus or via the Credit Card can still be redeemed at the current levels through April of 2014 as long as you book the reservation by May 15th.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Marriott Rewards has been one consistent tale of devaluation.

When I purchased my timeshare just 10 years ago--the 100,000 points we could get in lieu of using the timeshare on alternative years actually had some value.

Now--not so much--and I never go the 100,000 point route.

As a lifetime Platinum earned the old-fashioned way (1,000 nights--now devalued to 750 nights)--I avoid Marriott wherever possible since I know the points I accumulate will steadily devalue.

This news reinforces that notion.

But Marriott Rewards will no doubt win Program of the Year award again next year because there are so many out there who just could not care less. They love knowing that the Marriott hallmark green carpet will be there waiting for them wherever they travel. And that's all they want.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by yoonny
Marriott Concierge, is it possible to change the dates of redemption stay after May 16th once a booking is made at the current level without incurring additional points for a property that is going up a category?

I am trying to book a week for May 2014 and there is no way to finalize the exact dates before the changes take effect.
You may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account – although the points must be earned prior to your stay. For example, on May 1, 2013, you are able to book your hotel redemption stay as far out as April 16, 2014.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:15 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Cat 1-4 Certs earned in the Spring MegaBonus or via the Credit Card can still be redeemed at the current levels through April of 2014 as long as you book the reservation by May 15th.
Fair enough, you've got a point.
If, however, MegaBonus were to be repeated in the future in its current form, it would be a less appealing promotion. I wish they free night certs were valid for Cat 1-6 at least, even if that meant you'd need 3 or 4 stays to earn them.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Looks like Marriott is about to devalue our points

Just received this from MR:

"On May 16, 2013, Marriott Rewards® will be changing which hotels are in which categories as part of our regular review of all our hotels' categories. Additionally, there will be a new Category 9, requiring 45,000 points per night for a redemption stay.

Book now for the best value

•All redemption reservations booked on or before May 15 for stays after May 16 will be honored at the point price booked. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to May 15, call Guest Services to request the lower priced certificate before your stay

•As always, you may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account. For example, on May 1, 2013, you may book your redemption stay as far out as April 16, 2014

•You can also use Cash + Points, our newest booking tool, to book your redemption stay"

"Book NOW for Best Value???" Uh-huh. Oh well, I guess we know what is coming then, right? All the changes in categories will be moving hotels up in categories. Cynical? Maybe. I'd be interested in seeing how many, if any, move down in category.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
I found the answer to how many hotels are moving down:

73% of the program's properties will remain in Categories 1-4.
63% of the properties remain unchanged.
1% of the properties will decrease by one or more categories.
36% of the properties will increase by one or more categories.

So, 36% devalued and 1% upvalued.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
This is the nail in the coffin for me, this program is worthless. Now that Starwood has Lifetime Status Marriott offers no real competitive advantage. Limited breakfast availability and no suite upgrades either? Why would anyone stay with Marriott?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the news flash:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...nges-list.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
They should change the name from Marriott points to Marriott Peso's .
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I received the same email today. It reads like a devaluation. Probably the most popular properties are the ones to require more points.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Let the mass-exodus to Hilton and SPG begin.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:53 pm
Suspended

The way to set this right is to permit the Megabonus Certs to include Cat 5 properties. Anything else is a serious devaluation as others have said and the MC implicitly acknowledges by indicating that one can book by 5/15 to get the old rates.

Of course, booking so far in advance of that date is a non-starter for many people, however.

I think the best we can hope for is the MC to express our extreme displeasure with things as they now stand.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:56 pm
Suspended

As I noted in the main thread on this subject, I think this is the first time they have sent out such an e-mail -- leads me to believe that they don't want to get caught by many saying that they were unaware of this massive devaluation and the global e-mail is one way to prevent that circumstance from occurring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.