Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat-2MM, Marriott Plat, former VX Gold forever
Ditto

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Man this really stinks!

I never, ever, thought I would say this, but...time to start staying at a new hotel chain.
+1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Wow, I was able to redeem 7 nights in Paris in 2009 for 150K, now that same redemption will cost 270K. I use to think Marriott was a great value when I first joined the program but it's just not worth it anymore. Need to burn my remaining balance ASAP.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
^
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
A day (or week) without platinums in their hotels would send the message.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good point about the VacationClub option to trade for points. They have not increase how many points you get for your week, yet the value of the points has plummeted. This makes the reward points option a joke for your timeshare.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Wow, this is a kick in the balls.

I have been Hilton Diamond for 5-6 years (still Diamond through February 2014), but decided to switch to Marriott on January 1, 2013. Got the Chase Marriott VISA, on which I have already spent $40k since receiving it last month ($10k on Marriott purchases alone).

And now this. My timing couldn't have been much worse.

I still haven't canceled my Hilton HHonors AmEx Surpass. I guess I'm going to switch back. I just wish I had foreseen this and spent the $40k on the AmEx....would have already secured Diamond through February 2015 at this point).

**sigh** Thanks, Marriott.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is night and day comparing the MR change to http://hyatthotels.hyatt.com/content...rtupdates.html

Thankfully I started moving my eggs to other programs a decade ago.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Been thinking about it for a while, but it's finally time to do a SPG platinum challenge. I have 3 stays coming up that could easily be switched to Westin from Marriot/Ren, and I'll throw a few Aloft stays in as well (much better than the average CY from my experience)

Since status basically means nothing at CY/RI I'll probably still stay there if there aren't any *wood hotels around even once I lose MR platinum, but other than that I think all my full service stays will finally move over to SPG 100%.

Glad it is a lot easier to switch hotel chains than airlines.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:49 am

It sucks that RC's are getting killed.
RC Dubai, RC Osaka, RC Tokyo, RC Seoul, RC LA, etc. etc. etc.
Every single RC in a major city that's cat 1/2/3 is going up. up up up.

Wow.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
MR must have hired Jeff Smisek and the UA team to advise them of loyalty programs!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Does not shock me that most expensive high demand properties, i.e. London, NYC, resorts, etc are going up. These hotels are inundated with guests using award nights and demand just keeps going up as MR and Chase print more points. Was somewhat pleasantly surprised not to find one of my favorite Ritzs on the list (I guess Cat 3 is high enough) as well as a few Courtyards that somehow missed the cut. OTOH some of the increases are absurd for subpar Ritzs like Pentagon City, MDR, etc. but of course this is true for many of the lower tiers as well.

What is really sorely needed (maybe Loyalty Traveler has a chart?) is an apples-to-apples comparison for those of us who earn through stays and burn at Cat 8-9 level. For example, if I choose Marriott (Plat=15 points/$1) rather than SPG (Nonelite= 2points/$1) or Hyatt (Plat=5.75 points/$1) which one gets me a free night faster at a Cat 8 property (or better yet a 4+1 award which both programs offer)? The problem is that unpredictable megabonus-type promos will skew the analysis.

From a credit card perspective, it would appear that SPG Amex points are worth far more than Marriott or Priority Club Chase points, as you generally need twice as many of the latter to get the same room across brands.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I loved the Cat 1-4 certificates, and even if they couldn't be used at top properties there were still lots of good places to use them. No more.

There is not a single Cat 4 Marriott property left in New Orleans. The only redemption option is to stay way out in the suburbs, which sort of defeats the purpose of going to New Orleans.

My wife travels a lot and will continue to stay with Marriott enough to get all three certificates, which will give her a total of seven in her account. Plus I'll probably earn one or two. We'll need to decide where and when we want to use them before May 15 or else just plan to use them for roadside Fairfields.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 pm

Also agree. makes my cat 1-4 mega bonus room almost worthless

Originally Posted by mmaster737
+1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:16 pm

^

Originally Posted by boss315
MR must have hired Jeff Smisek and the UA team to advise them of loyalty programs!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

I don't recall getting the e-mail notification of changes before the "re-evaluation" in the past.

If this is the first time they are doing it -- and I believe it is -- then they already know how much they are devaluing the program by sending out e-mail notifications to all those who have an e-mail on file, so as not to be innundated with complaints that they made major changes to the program without any notice.

I think it safe to say that most if not all downtown locations in the USA are no longer at a Cat 4 level, and many susburbs are no longer at even a Cat 5 level -- this devaluation is disgraceful.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Man this really stinks!

I never, ever, thought I would say this, but...time to start staying at a new hotel chain.

Crap. I was just going to move over to Marriott this year. Loved the Q1 Stay 2 get 1 free promo and my Marriott Visa just arrived. Oh well, I will max out the promo and Visa, book my rewards and back to Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.