Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
This would have made MR Cheques more attractive

Seems pretty bad they did this and got rid of cheques at the same time. This is testing my 20 year loyalty as I approach 2,000 nights.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:35 am

I stumbled upon these changes the other day while looking up some hotels. Guess they were in fact making changes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I frankly do not think the changes are already in place as I just looked up the current websites of both the Pattaya Marriott and Renaissance Bangkok and both are still showing as Cat 4s although they are on the list to go to Cat 5s.........similarly, the Ren Phuket is scheduled to change from Cat 5 to Cat 6 but their website continues to show it is a Cat 5............

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I stumbled upon these changes the other day while looking up some hotels. Guess they were in fact making changes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:45 am

To make things worse the the downgrades occured at properties in Bahrain, Egypt, Detroit, Hungary, all with major problems of their own.

The increases occured at hotels you would like to stay at ...Aruba, San Juan, NYC, London, Etc ...

May be time for all Platinums to boycott Marriott for a week to send them a message. We could all post our cancellations on one thread and the challenge we signed up for with their competitor.

This changes are some of the worst I have seen by any chain, airline, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I frankly do not think the changes are already in place as I just looked up the current websites of both the Pattaya Marriott and Renaissance Bangkok and both are still showing as Cat 4s although they are on the list to go to Cat 5s.........similarly, the Ren Phuket is scheduled to change from Cat 5 to Cat 6 but their website continues to show it is a Cat 5............
Than how in the world was I able 2-3 days before the changes were announced notice it and post it here. In fact, you even commented on my thread asking if the changes had been made based on what I was seeing. My guess is someone went live with the changes prematurely and I stumbled across them and they took them down. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-released.html

There is ZERO doubt that what I saw and posted the other day were these changes. How else would I have known about them?

Last edited by jr1202sr; Feb 12, 2013 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:51 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by VA1379
Some properties like La Jolla Marriott have gone from category 4 to 6 in two years.
JW Marriott in Grand Rapids went from 4->5 offcycle in Nov 2011; now jumping to 6. 2 tiers in 18 months!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:30 am
Suspended

I don't doubt you saw changes, but these were more then likely NOT part of the annual changes just announced but mid-interval changes due to redemptions.............which is exactly the same thing I said before you tried to twist it into something I didn't say........

"hotel catagories may change at anytime during the year and are not limited to the annual adjustment..........."

Than how in the world was I able 2-3 days before the changes were announced notice it and post it here. In fact, you even commented on my thread asking if the changes had been made based on what I was seeing. My guess is someone went live with the changes prematurely and I stumbled across them and they took them down. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-released.html

There is ZERO doubt that what I saw and posted the other day were these changes. How else would I have known about them?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:49 am

Ok so you think mid year changes happened 2-3 days before these were released? Really?!? Sure that makes sense. They were not mid year changes b/c they have been CHANGED BACK to what they were after I made the post. That would imply they were done by mistake and Marriott probably saw my post or caught it themselves. If you look at the time of my post it is typical for IT updates etc.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:54 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Here is a complete list of FAQs about the 2013 hotel categories, which will be effective for all reservations made after May 16, 2013.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I expected some of my favorite Cat4s to go up this year but this devaluation is much worse than I had planned on.

While I doubt this will make me select a hotel in a different chain, especially if similarly priced and located.

What this devaluation will do, is end my discretionary stays where I sometimes pay a bit more in pursuit of the Cat4 certs. The gutting of major US airport Cat4 choices is truly a promo killer.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:02 am

Seems like the best leisure locations and the airport properties took the biggest hit....

What is crazy is that Priceline is probably most effective in airport locations and seems to be a very good alternative since the room size, location doesn't usually matter if you aren't there very long. Price does.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:15 am
Suspended

you are referred to the newly posted FAQs to respond to your ridicuolous assertions..........further then that I personally could care less what you think.........
What causes a hotel category to change?
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gramchanges.mi

Ok so you think mid year changes happened 2-3 days before these were released? Really?!? Sure that makes sense. They were not mid year changes b/c they have been CHANGED BACK to what they were after I made the post. That would imply they were done by mistake and Marriott probably saw my post or caught it themselves. If you look at the time of my post it is typical for IT updates etc.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Marriott could soften the blow here by changing the Megabonus rewards so that you get Cat 5 certs instead of Cat 4 and perhaps get 60-75K points instead of 50K. It has been a long time since they did anything with the Megabonus. If they can't do it for the current promotion period, then perhaps the Fall Megabonus can be adjusted.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by bk3day
I expected some of my favorite Cat4s to go up this year but this devaluation is much worse than I had planned on.

While I doubt this will make me select a hotel in a different chain, especially if similarly priced and located.

What this devaluation will do, is end my discretionary stays where I sometimes pay a bit more in pursuit of the Cat4 certs. The gutting of major US airport Cat4 choices is truly a promo killer.
Well said. There's no way to see this other than a massive devaluation.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kanerf
Marriott could soften the blow here by changing the Megabonus rewards so that you get Cat 5 certs instead of Cat 4 and perhaps get 60-75K points instead of 50K. It has been a long time since they did anything with the Megabonus. If they can't do it for the current promotion period, then perhaps the Fall Megabonus can be adjusted.
Chase really needs to consider changing their annual cert to a Cat 6 to keep it competitive with the cards some other hotel chains have. The Priority Club annual night can be used at ANY property. Meanwhile, the Hyatt annual night is restricted in category, but can still be used at city center properties in places like LA (West Hollywood), Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.