Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
"36% of the properties will increase by one or more categories."

Most of the properties I have ever stayed at are in the 36%. Wow this is basically a 10-15% devaluation of Marriott points, it also makes Cat 4 certs basically useless. Only one way to let Marriott know your displeasure.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:14 am

A day (or week) without platinums in their hotels would send the message.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Wow, this is indeed alarming. I have been cheating on Marriott with SPG over the past year. Time to officially move to an open relationship. Sorry Marriott, you and I are no longer exclusive. Yeah I know...let me explain...It's not you, it's me.

Actually, that's a lie - it's all you.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you are referred to the newly posted FAQs to respond to your ridicuolous assertions..........further then that I personally could care less what you think.........
What causes a hotel category to change?
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gramchanges.mi
I don't think an FAQ makes it impossible for an IT mistake to have happened.

And I suspect you actually couldn't care less.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Marriott Concierge, is it possible to change the dates of redemption stay after May 16th once a booking is made at the current level without incurring additional points for a property that is going up a category?

I am trying to book a week for May 2014 and there is no way to finalize the exact dates before the changes take effect.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Man this really stinks!

I never, ever, thought I would say this, but...time to start staying at a new hotel chain.
I do have to admit for the first time in 25 years I'm really almost at that point. First with the ridiculous rollover nights and credit card nights PLT is so watered down its silly. Then for those ultra loyal they have Premier PLT, but virtually no benefits. Then in response to the silliness of the first point , they massively increase the point levels. All in all, the more loyal you are the bigger the shaft.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoonny
Marriott Concierge, is it possible to change the dates of redemption stay after May 16th once a booking is made at the current level without incurring additional points for a property that is going up a category?

I am trying to book a week for May 2014 and there is no way to finalize the exact dates before the changes take effect.
Any change to the reservation bumps it to the new category.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:11 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm only an occasional Marriott guest. Forgive me while I ask a Marriott award 101 question. From the FAQ:

I have a redemption reservation already booked for a stay after May 15, 2013, but I haven’t ordered my certificate yet. Will I have to pay a different amount of points for the stay?

All redemption reservations booked on or before May 15, 2013, will be honored at the point price at which they were booked. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to May 15, 2013, you will need to call Guest Services and request the lower priced certificate. Rewards Guest Services.

I have an award booking made for June at a hotel changing categories. The booking says that the award certificate will go directly to the hotel. The points are already gone from my account. Does this mean that the award cert is already issued? When do people have to pick up the phone and request that an award cert be issued, rather than simply relying on the automated system?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:20 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have an award booking made for June at a hotel changing categories. The booking says that the award certificate will go directly to the hotel. The points are already gone from my account. Does this mean that the award cert is already issued? When do people have to pick up the phone and request that an award cert be issued, rather than simply relying on the automated system?
If you have already made your reservation, and the points have been deducted from your account, you are all set.

I believe the language you referred to covers situations where a Marriott Rewards member can make an award reservation without having enough points for the stay; they would have to have sufficient points prior to the stay and the reward certificate could be issued at that later date once they have enough points.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
What a mess. I was planning to go to SPG anyways, and this seals the deal for me. There are 4 Fairfield Inns at category 7. Seriously?!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dw is correct. I did this last year. If you have enough points now, book it and you are done. If you don't have enough points now, book it and then when you ahve enough points you will need to call, otherwise the system will deduct the new points amount, not the old.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, dw and VickiSoCal, for setting my mind at rest.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Any change to the reservation bumps it to the new category.
Thanks. This change hurts but I guess you may as well do it now when all the competitors are doing the same thing.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Time to use up my 530,000 points... I earn them so easily, so I'll continue to earn them, but will look at ways to earn them elsewhere too...Hilton/Hyatt/SPG...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
So many airport/major city properties that were in the 4/5 range have gone up. I think I count at least 3 San Diego properties that have gone up 2 categories in the past 2 years. MegaBonus certs are becoming more and more worthless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.