Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr.Leo
DP: Called to book my 7 night stay for Cat 1-4 (QP83)45k and was told that they are not allowed to book any TP until 9/18. WOMP WOMP
Ditto. Cannot book, and cannot cancel an NC1-4 QP80 75K either. Rep claimed he was supervisor and claimed there was an internal memo out 2 days ago about not doing anything about any certs (again, that wasn't what the DPs reported here). He said he would not risk his job to violate the policy. He also refused to get me to his supervisor.

2 calls disconnected after 20 min on hold. 3rd call took 90 min for a human to pick up but yielded nothing.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I was able to redeem for SR Princeville in Kauai @ 60k per night (did it online) - though not sure if it counts as it isn't an all-suite resort
be aware that this property is deflagging I understand... perhaps do a quick google?

Last edited by catharsis; Aug 24, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by nick793
Thanks for creating this table! I think this is how it's setup but I'm confused on T5 - that should have mapped to Cat 7 not 8
On the second thought, I fear that they may simply demand price difference between the old and new charts. For example, in a conservative case,
OC5 (270,000) -> NC5 (390,000) : whopping 120k
OC7 (330,000) -> NC6 (510,000) : again whopping 180k
OC9 (390,000) -> NC7 (570,000) : 180k.

woops.. upgrade costs would be prohibitively expensive, I won't be able to upgrade at my current point balances..
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

When one major company in a consolidating industry whacks its customers, other companies in the same consolidating industry befome more likely to follow suit. It’s part of why the “I’d switch and not think twice about it” approach is to be admonished and not followed.

Marriott’s not rotten to the core, but it’s greedy and incompetent in a way that deserves lots of criticism if only to try to retard the spread of the anti-customer infection spreading as fast and as awfully as happens when customers done wrong simply “shut up and move on”.
It really is BAD on every aspect of the New Marriott at this moment.

Here is the latest issues that points do not come back on canceled SPG reservations, and the person who suffered got the agent Hung Up on him. Points involved are 1/2 millions. Customer is a LT Plat with SPG with combined 15 years of Plat with Marriott and SPG.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/24/...d-points-gone/

Way to go Marriott to drive your most loyal customers away.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:53 am

I've had a miserable experience since the merger although not TP related. I booked a 7 night stay on a SPG property using the app. 210000 points were withdrawn from my account (as seen under activity) but there is no record of any booking from the hotel. It seems like the points just vanished into thin air. I've called multiple times to ask them to find out what happened and nobody could give me an answer. I am now trying desperately to get those points reversed so I can try to book again. Needless to say that I am frustrated beyond belief!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I know people have experienced significant issues when cancelling a reservation with a certificate attached. Has anyone tried to detach a hotel award from a reservation since 8/18 before cancelling or changing a reservation?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by rny321
I know people have experienced significant issues when cancelling a reservation with a certificate attached. Has anyone tried to detach a hotel award from a reservation since 8/18 before cancelling or changing a reservation?
Yes. I expressed my concern about the certificate disappearing and 45k going to my account if the reservation I had the certificate attached to was cancelled. The rep understood and detached the certificate first then cancelled the reservation and the certificate is back in my account. No problem.

He was unable to do anything with the old certificate right now though until their system is fixed .
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend tried last week when he called multiple times but no rep wanted to touch it.

Do you still want to keep the reservation or just date change?

If there is still availability for your dates, I would make a new reservation instead. Then play agent roulette to do the cancellation and immediately repurchase the corresponding NC. As we have seen, it is entirely possible to refund an OC then purchase an NC (tonywush has done it. so as Dr.Leo), or refund an NC to purchase another NC (Skimthetrees has done it multiple times on multiple days to get the mess fixed). It is just a matter of whether the rep / supervisor is willing to try.

One more tidbit, the rep who helped me this morning did not know how to refund NC for new NC but was willing to call to find out - she went back to successfully cancel my QP83 - mentioned that " I had to do it in the Old System." So it seems they have 2 parallel internal systems running on handling the TPs.

It boils down to agent roulette - need multiple attempts to find an agent who is willing to help you. Some have the attitude that they would not want to get in anything related to TP.
rny321 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 25, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by IAmKab
Yes. I expressed my concern about the certificate disappearing and 45k going to my account if the reservation I had the certificate attached to was cancelled. The rep understood and detached the certificate first then cancelled the reservation and the certificate is back in my account. No problem.

He was unable to do anything with the old certificate right now though until their system is fixed .
Thank you! Detaching before 8/18 worked for me. Since cancelling a reservation with a certificate attached seems to automatically cancel and refund an award, I was concerned that something similar might happened when a certificate is detached.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Happy
A friend tried last week when he called multiple times but no rep wanted to touch it.

Do you still want to keep the reservation or just date change?

If there is still availability for your dates, I would make a new reservation instead. Then play agent roulette to do the cancellation and immediately repurchase the corresponding NC. As we have seen, it is entirely possible to refund an OC then purchase an NC (tonywush has done it. so as Dr.Leo), or refund an NC to purchase another NC (Skimthetrees has done it multiple times on multiple days to get the mess fixed). It is just a matter of whether the rep / supervisor is willing to try.

One more tidbit, the rep who helped me this morning did not know how to refund NC for new NC but was willing to call to find out - she went back to successfully cancel my QP83 - mentioned that " I had to do it in the Old System." So it seems they have 2 parallel internal systems running on handling the TPs.

It boils down to agent roulette - need multiple attempts to find an agent who is willing to help you. Some have the attitude that threiey would not want to get in anything related to TP.
Thank you! Having an old OC8 attached to a NC6 would have worked out nicely for someone with firm vacation dates. I tried a date change with a certificate attached before 8/18, which resulted in an unwanted cancellation that took several calls to correct. If a certificate can be detached and either left in OC form or converted to a NC, that would leave customers in the same position as having an unattached award.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Having an old OC8 attached to a NC6 would have worked out nicely for someone with firm vacation dates. I tried a date change with a certificate attached before 8/18, which resulted in an unwanted cancellation that took several calls to correct. If a certificate can be detached and either left in OC form or converted to a NC, that would leave customers in the same position as having an unattached award.
I detached an OC6 pre 8/18 because the property went down to 25K on the new chart. We of course did not know that OC6 would convert to the same NC4 as the OC5 did.
However, the way it turned out, unattached award is actually EASIER to do things than an attached award, despite we were urged to attached our certs.
I now have 2 OC5 remaining, that I can wait for Marriott to lift the blockage at announced date. The first need is on 3rd week of Oct, right now I have a "point advance" style reservation in place.
The current SPG situation scares me because canceled reward bookings do not return the points. Issue known but NO FIX in sight. What a mess. Some people have hundreds of thousands SPG pts tied up - because their rewards were those 60K SPG pts properties!
Good luck to y'all who still have open-ends to take care of.
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I detached an OC6 pre 8/18 because the property went down to 25K on the new chart. We of course did not know that OC6 would convert to the same NC4 as the OC5 did.
However, the way it turned out, unattached award is actually EASIER to do things than an attached award, despite we were urged to attached our certs.
I now have 2 OC5 remaining, that I can wait for Marriott to lift the blockage at announced date. The first need is on 3rd week of Oct, right now I have a "point advance" style reservation in place.
The current SPG situation scares me because canceled reward bookings do not return the points. Issue known but NO FIX in sight. What a mess. Some people have hundreds of thousands SPG pts tied up - because their rewards were those 60K SPG pts properties!
Good luck to y'all who still have open-ends to take care of.
For someone with firm travel dates and those who thought they might utilize a reservation at a hotel that was going up in price, it made sense to attach certificates. For those whose plans might change, leaving certificates unattached was much simpler. I have a few points advance reservations, including one in October, that I waited to attach certificates to. I thought MPG would be slightly generous with the conversion, which is why I didn't expect problems with unattached Cat 5, Cat 7 and Cat 9 certificates. Although I had hoped that a Cat 8 would convert to a Cat 6, at a minimum, I expected a points adjustment if it converted to a Cat 5.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:54 am

I get that people are not happy about many aspects of the merger, but can we keep the griping in this thread specific to Travel Packages?

Any 5 night data points regarding converted package numbers and points?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
I get that people are not happy about many aspects of the merger, but can we keep the griping in this thread specific to Travel Packages?

Any 5 night data points regarding converted package numbers and points?
Some of the people who have complained the most have made significant contributions to the discussion about the changes to travel packages. Since I don't pay for any information provided and I can ignore what I'm not interested in, I don't mind that people feel a need to express anger about the transition.

I have a 5-night package that has been extended since MR allowed any member to buy them which I plan to use in October. I haven't read about anyone trying to make changes to one.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:03 pm

Perhaps it’s a good sign that they’ve frozen floater certs if the internal memo is correct.
At least it would suggest that someone will take a look at it.

If they’re downgrading and issueing points rebates at the “old rates” they really should allow upgrades at the old rates on floaters.

Different if they’d announced the mapping prior to 18th Aug. To do the right thing they really should give floaters a chance to change package, once, time limited if they so desire. It practically makes little difference to them as we could have changed 2 weeks ago, but we didn’t because they never explained what they intended to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.