Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong
Should I call Elite Guest Service Line or Elite Reservation Line to ask for extension? Also, does anyone have experience to call them at night instead? Wondering whether I should call them now or wait until tomorrow morning.
I did call in the middle of the night within the past couple months and did not have an issue. The clerk seemed very much on the ball. The weird thing, though, was the cert I was calling about was set to expire in a couple days but it had already been extended. I had not already called, so that seemed odd. I apologized for wasting the woman's time and she said she was thrilled to get the call, as it could get pretty lonely late at night.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jason8612
So I emailed Marriott to extend one of my 7 night cat 1-5 vouchers. Logged in today and see Rewards Certificate: P830 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5
Does that mean it's the same as before (7 night cat 1-5)?
I noticed this as well, except mine says "P820 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5 - 55,000 Points." What does the 55,000 Points mean? I'm assuming I can still upgrade the cert to a Cat 8 with an additional 90,000 points, correct? Also, the hotel we're looking at staying at (Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club) has standard rooms available for 240,000 points for a week and a 1 Bedroom Villa available for 275,000. Can I add nightly upgrade certificates along with the TP 7 night cert?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I noticed this as well, except mine says "P820 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5 - 55,000 Points." What does the 55,000 Points mean?
That's the surrender value if you just can't use the cert at all and ask for a refund. Otherwise, it's still upgradeable for Cat 6+ use.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:16 am

Is that an increase in the surrender value? I'd thought it was 45k points, for some reason. I usually value even four nights in a Cat 4/5 at over 45k, but 55k is getting mighty close to breakeven, since it's usually a stretch for us to even get four nights away...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by synergistic
Is that an increase in the surrender value? I'd thought it was 45k points, for some reason.
It must have increased recently, it was lower last year. I hope this isn't an indication that the total package price will go up.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:25 am

Newbie - Travel Package with Teens

I'm a newbie looking to redeem some points I've been saving up for a Marriott Hotel + Air travel package to Europe. I'm assuming there would be availability to get a double queen bed room at most hotels to bring my two teens along on the trip and then augment the miles that I'd need to fly? Anything else special to take into consideration in redeeming a Travel package for 4 instead of 2?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
I am not a expert by any means but we did not find a lot of hotel in London or Paris that had double queens. I actually do not remember one that did. The problem if you are using the
7 night cert it will usually be for the lowest category at the hotel. The basic category is usually one bed but you can pay to upgrade to a bigger room. We found it cheaper to just get another room for our older kids.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by bigstuntman
I'm a newbie looking to redeem some points I've been saving up for a Marriott Hotel + Air travel package to Europe. I'm assuming there would be availability to get a double queen bed room at most hotels to bring my two teens along on the trip and then augment the miles that I'd need to fly? Anything else special to take into consideration in redeeming a Travel package for 4 instead of 2?

Thanks!
You will want to find the hotel first to make sure that there are rooms for 4 available on points before you get a package.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Thanks!
Be aware many hotels in Europe actually charge extra for a room with more than 1 bed and usually when you get a room with two beds they are single beds.

Best to check the properties you are interested in.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:44 pm

Thanks!
Very few hotels allow occupancy for 4. Out of all the hotels in London, I believe only one Marriott had two queens, which was county Hall
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How about other countries? Are there any Marriott with 2 queens (except County Hall in London) in Europe? Just wondering.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Here is a short list from my research:
Courtyard Amsterdam Airport - 2 queens
one of the Dublin Hotels had 2 doubles
Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France - 2 bedroom townhouse

Your really need to put in a country, 2 adults/2kids and use points. Make sure you put in a week (7nights) for the time frame you want to go. It might come up with
a day here or there but you need to find a property that has all seven nights.

Just start looking.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:41 pm

When redeeming a Travel Package, does the name and address both have to match the airline program? Or is it only name that's checked?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:15 pm

How long does it take miles to post to British Airways when booking a Air + Travel package with BA as the airline partner?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:24 pm

Takes about 2-3 days from my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.