FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

stargold Mar 29, 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by EeBee (Post 28101661)
Wrong?!? He got the 5 night package. Thats a win.

Oops, sorry - got mixed up with the poster who couldn't upgrade his package to Cat 8.

lexdevil Mar 29, 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 28101653)
I think the title of the thread should be changed to something like:

"Marriott promotion disappoints"

To call it a bait and switch is a bit off. Speaking of baits this thread is like click bait! :)

Or better yet, "Travel package disappoints -- Can't get 7 nights at chosen hotel."

The Travel Package is not a promotion. It is a regular offering.

Mr. Vker Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mhkay1 (Post 28098799)
I recently merged my Marriott and Starwood accounts and decided to take advantage of a promotion Marriott has. For a certain number of Marriott , or converted spg points, you can buy a week hotel stay at one of their hotels around the world as well as get miles transferred to an airline of your choice that is in the program. You have to use the whole week at once at one of their hotels and it is good for one year( maybe 2, if you ask nicely). You choose how many points to use , depending on the level hotel you are planning on going to. We chose their highest level we could see we would need in Rome, which we had planned on visiting in the summer.
When all is said and done, their hotel in Rome did not take our week, as promised , because all " those hotel rooms" were already taken. They have many other hotel rooms and suites available and for another 200 dollars a night they would give us 6 nights of their "other" regular rooms. They would not give us the 7th night at all! We have tried calling Marriott , but would like a recommendation as to how to proceed.

There are so many things wrong with this post...but...

1) You are NOT buying a week. You are getting a certificate for a reward stay. Reward rooms must be available.

2) I would like to know who promised you the room? Check avail first.

qofmiwok Apr 2, 2017 9:11 am

Do you have to stay in the room or can you gift it?

I am traveling with a friend who is Diamond and has a time share, and just saved him a ton of points by explaining the benefits of this travel package. So I'm wondering if he can repay me by doing a 5 day package and gifting me the certificate. Or even booking the hotel for me with his certificate.

I just got a 7 day but the hotel I wanted to use it at won't let me pay for the upgraded room. I thought that was an option. So I'll have to either gamble on the upgrade or use it another time.

Good to hear non-vacation owners are still getting 5 day packages. I called twice and asked and they said no, but I'll keep trying. Especially on that Platinum line.

alc Apr 2, 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by qofmiwok (Post 28119033)
I am traveling with a friend who is Diamond and has a time share, and just saved him a ton of points by explaining the benefits of this travel package. So I'm wondering if he can repay me by doing a 5 day package and gifting me the certificate. Or even booking the hotel for me with his certificate.

I just got a 7 day but the hotel I wanted to use it at won't let me pay for the upgraded room. I thought that was an option. So I'll have to either gamble on the upgrade or use it another time.

Good to hear non-vacation owners are still getting 5 day packages. I called twice and asked and they said no, but I'll keep trying. Especially on that Platinum line.

yes, you can. see post #1795 for detail.

Sprout7 Apr 4, 2017 7:03 am

Apologies if this is a daft question but I can't seem to find an answer to it...
I have recently purchased a 7 night travel package and was wondering if the normal status benefits apply to this type of stay? Specifically, I have Gold status and was wondering if we might receive a room upgrade and be eligible for the free breakfast? Thanks for any help

joshua362 Apr 4, 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Sprout7 (Post 28127367)
Apologies if this is a daft question but I can't seem to find an answer to it...
I have recently purchased a 7 night travel package and was wondering if the normal status benefits apply to this type of stay? Specifically, I have Gold status and was wondering if we might receive a room upgrade and be eligible for the free breakfast? Thanks for any help

Yes.

hhoope01 Apr 4, 2017 9:03 am

Specifically, I have Gold status and was wondering if we might receive a room upgrade and be eligible for the free breakfast? Thanks for any help

Elite benefits, like upgrades and free breakfast, should be available for virtually any stay, no matter how the reservation was made, whether points or cash or credit, etc. Marriott's program doesn't really make a distinction. The biggest issue getting your elite benefits is that some reservation types (i.e. prepaid blind portals like Priceline and such) you might have a little more trouble getting your MR# in the reservation. But even in those cases, just show your elite card at check-in and you should still get those elite benefits.

Happy Apr 4, 2017 12:53 pm

Aeroplan posted Tue the following week

Confirmed previous posters' experiences - Aeroplan miles posted on Tuesday (after Monday night).
Date of transaction is still the date request is made.

pinniped Apr 4, 2017 12:53 pm

As long as the property itself provides Gold benefits, then you definitely get them on your award stay! (While this seems obvious, I mention it because Marriott has some pretty big exclusions - resorts and Courtyards, mainly - as well as an ever-increasing list of city properties that limit elite benefits or replace them with a paltry amount of bonus points.)

kkl Apr 6, 2017 6:19 pm

Seems like a delay to united? Normally takes 24/36 hours. Been more than 48 still not in

esdot Apr 10, 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 28022415)
Here is what you can do:

Option 1) call in and make the booking and feed the agent with all the info

Option 2) make the 7-night hotel reservation online, during the process, enter all your sister information - Address, Phone Number, email address, and credit card. Then call in to request to attach the certificate and also change the guest name from your name to your sister name

I do Option 2 myself as I don't need to feed as much info over the phone.

As a variation on the "can someone else use a certificate" question, I'm wondering whether there is any flexibility in terms of who can pay to upgrade a Cat. 1-5 package.

Both my dad and I have Cat. 1-5 packages. I have a seven-night package; my dad has a five-night package. I'd like to use my dad's five-night package and give him my seven-night package. I have points to upgrade my dad's certificate to a higher category. My dad doesn't. What's the easiest way to bypass the 50k transfer limit, use my points to upgrade his certificate, then have him book the stay in my name?

Thank in advance.

alc Apr 10, 2017 4:07 am

Originally Posted by esdot (Post 28153055)
As a variation on the "can someone else use a certificate" question, I'm wondering whether there is any flexibility in terms of who can pay to upgrade a Cat. 1-5 package.

Both my dad and I have Cat. 1-5 packages. I have a seven-night package; my dad has a five-night package. I'd like to use my dad's five-night package and give him my seven-night package. I have points to upgrade my dad's certificate to a higher category. My dad doesn't. What's the easiest way to bypass the 50k transfer limit, use my points to upgrade his certificate, then have him book the stay in my name?

Thank in advance.

You can transfer > 50K when you are using it to complete a reservation.

See the "Transfer" sections at the following T&C:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/term....mi#purchasing

carsnoceans Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am

Is the expiration date on TP, use-by date or booking date?

nli007 Apr 10, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 28154773)
Is the expiration date on TP, use-by date or booking date?

Use by, although you can get a 1 yr extension it seems from everyone's DP