Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I got enrolled into the gold challenge automatically.

I recall in early April in logging into my account it said Gold instead of Silvar and I was like ....
A week later I got the promo in the mail explaining this thing
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Yep,

The exact scenario that most happened to.

Originally Posted by djp98374
I got enrolled into the gold challenge automatically.

I recall in early April in logging into my account it said Gold instead of Silvar and I was like ....
A week later I got the promo in the mail explaining this thing
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm doing a Platinum challenge right now (through 9/30). How long does it take for nights to show on your account? I checked out on 7/5 from the Renaissance Las Vegas from a 5 night stay. It was kind of odd as my folio they emailed me two days after showed a balance of zero - with no room charges listed on it - but the actual room charges hit my credit card today. It was a LNF BRG. Nothing on my account showing the completed stay, yet.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Avis First, Marriott Gold, United Pleb
I also got the automatic Taste of Gold which was not a problem to pull off. Is there any way to either get them to back it up and make it Platinum, or to request a Platinum challenge? Because I did not know my exact travel plans for the three months I had for Taste of Gold I went ahead and stayed at the three Marriott Properties in my normal travel city, one each night for the 12 or so stays I needed. Took three trips but came together just fine. Was interesting experience. Fairfield was respectable, main Marriott was nice, but Courtyard was a scary dump.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHMRH
I also got the automatic Taste of Gold which was not a problem to pull off. Is there any way to either get them to back it up and make it Platinum, or to request a Platinum challenge? Because I did not know my exact travel plans for the three months I had for Taste of Gold I went ahead and stayed at the three Marriott Properties in my normal travel city, one each night for the 12 or so stays I needed. Took three trips but came together just fine. Was interesting experience. Fairfield was respectable, main Marriott was nice, but Courtyard was a scary dump.
Wasn't it 12 nights and not 12 stays?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I'm doing a Platinum challenge right now (through 9/30). How long does it take for nights to show on your account? I checked out on 7/5 from the Renaissance Las Vegas from a 5 night stay. It was kind of odd as my folio they emailed me two days after showed a balance of zero - with no room charges listed on it - but the actual room charges hit my credit card today. It was a LNF BRG. Nothing on my account showing the completed stay, yet.
If you checked out on the 5th it should have appeared right now.....you should call Marriott and check on whats up with it.

The thing in the mail is based on some cut off day in the last week of June.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:34 pm

When I did the gold promo I had to fight them on it. I didnt know if I was going to do it...unsure of my travel plans in early April. I knew Id do 3 stays...didnt know if Id do any others.

I had a relative pass away so I needed to travel. i stayed at a Marriott family hotel with another relative....who happens to also be a marriott rewards account holder. We split the hotel bill spliting the night stays. The reward account only gave the points to him.

Iniially I called them in April because this stay qualified me for the speig free night promo for 2 stays to get the free night voucher and they credited me for that.

By the end of June with those 3 planned stays, thie credits from the funeral, and another stay I did the 6 nights. They put me back to silver so I had to call them again about this.

I was on the phone for about 20 minutes with a person and a supervisor to give me the credit.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: Avis First, Marriott Gold, United Pleb
Originally Posted by lsumegan
Wasn't it 12 nights and not 12 stays?
Sorry, looking back at the emails I had a 6 stay in 90 day taste of gold. Which I started the day after I checked in for a 4 day stay, which I did not get credit for.

Not 12 stay, sorry was confused. But I did not have a DAY option (6 stay or 12 day, etc). Mine was a straight Stay, so I changed hotels every night for three trips.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:19 am

Update: I did get my Platinum Challenge, although they did seem a little resentful about it. Requested it by email, got a long reply back that very carefully detailed all of the restrictions and what I wouldn't be able to carry over (like bonus nights, which I don't think I've ever had). I then had to reply to the email to "accept". 9 stays by the end of October, which I'll have completed by mid-August. Fortunately for me, all of my travel is short and multiple visits, not few stays of long duration.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RetailTherapy
Update: I did get my Platinum Challenge, although they did seem a little resentful about it. Requested it by email, got a long reply back that very carefully detailed all of the restrictions and what I wouldn't be able to carry over (like bonus nights, which I don't think I've ever had). I then had to reply to the email to "accept". 9 stays by the end of October, which I'll have completed by mid-August. Fortunately for me, all of my travel is short and multiple visits, not few stays of long duration.
How did they seem resentful?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Along these lines (I am also a Silver only, down from Gold), can I "jump" to a Platinum challenge from Silver or must I ask for a taste of Gold first?
I have a few stays coming up in Europe, though they will not be enough for either a Gold or Platinum.
I did the challenge more or less along this line. I had an expensive europe trip, a bunch of family one nighters and there was a chance I'd have a week or two domestic work trip, so I signed up figuring the extra points off the europe trip alone would be worth it.

I think I'll come just short (shoulda done gold), but it will net me an extra 8.5K in points just for a 3 minute call. If I had the 9 stays offer I might have made that.

I went from Silver to Plat.

Last edited by dcpilgrim; Jul 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I did the challenge more or less along this line. I had an expensive europe trip, a bunch of family one nighters and there was a chance I'd have a week or two domestic work trip, so I signed up figuring the extra points off the europe trip alone would be worth it.

I think I'll come just short (shoulda done gold), but it will net me an extra 8.5K in points just for a 3 minute call. If I had the 9 stays offer I might have made that.

I went from Silver to Plat.
Do you feel/think that you got more out of being Plat during your stays than you would have from being just a Gold - as in upgrades, etc ? The reason I ask is that I could complete the Gold but not likely the Plat.
BTW, I read the thread on LT Plat thoughts.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Do you feel/think that you got more out of being Plat during your stays than you would have from being just a Gold - as in upgrades, etc ? The reason I ask is that I could complete the Gold but not likely the Plat.
BTW, I read the thread on LT Plat thoughts.
The upgrades were minimal. Some of the desk people seemed to make an effort to be extra nice, which I appreciated.

I was in it for the points 50% bonus + gift vs 25% for Gold (a mere 5% bump vs Silver). On a couple personal stays the free internet was handy. The gold vs Plat increment for points was about 7500 points. Penny a point says a couple of personal breakfast charges and internet charges and I chose poorly.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know if AC hotels in spain give any benefits to plats? They werent mentioned at all on marriott's benefit page. And do the nights/stays there count in this challenge? (I'm a bit confused whether it is nights or stays now)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I've previously reported on Spanish ACs I've stayed at .............. as a plat you'll get an upgraded room based upon availability, but no breakfast. Mini-bar item are provided to all guests gratis. Internet (wireless) in the public areas (get password from front desk). You won't find an in-room safety box. You'll get your normal points + bonus. Don't know which challenge (nights/stays) you may be on or offered so won't comment beyond saying they'll count the nights stayed along with basic stay credit.......

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Does anyone know if AC hotels in spain give any benefits to plats? They werent mentioned at all on marriott's benefit page. And do the nights/stays there count in this challenge? (I'm a bit confused whether it is nights or stays now)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.