Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
We aren't breaking the rules or anything that would require subterfuge or deceit. This is well within the rules and regulations of Marriott rewards. That is why a few people on this board, including me, just spoke openly with the hotel about what we wanted.
So you just said "I only care about the nights, how much for a meeting?" How receptive were they to this?

Edit: nvm you're the person who was offering her contact. She was receptive.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:42 pm

What are folks seeing as "good rates", particularly from Marriott hotels that are receptive to the "I just need the nights" pitch? Need 30 nights, would love to do for $300 or less.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Are the book a meeting packages available overseas or just in the states?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:45 am

I'm still waiting for my Nov 20 meeting to post...

Hotel told me to wait up to this coming Friday. Is it usually this slow?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
See post # 1794.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Nazdoom

No, it's not. However, some properties only allow a designated person to use the posting tool needed to get the credit and should they be out of the office a delay happens. Keep on them and maybe get MR involved if they attempt another delay.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Nazdoom

Short answer, no. IME, they either post right away (day or two) or you gotta fight for them. Wait until Friday because they asked you to, but the hotels are usually pretty clueless about who what when where why or how meeting credit posts, so you'll really need to press them about it, if not full on educate them.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tkey75
Short answer, no. IME, they either post right away (day or two) or you gotta fight for them. Wait until Friday because they asked you to, but the hotels are usually pretty clueless about who what when where why or how meeting credit posts, so you'll really need to press them about it, if not full on educate them.
FYI mine always took awhile because only one person did it for all the properties the one group owned. Sometimes a week sometimes a month.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Yes, but you may need to remind them or prod them about things like elite night credits and the group posting tool.

It helps if you can get someone at the property to confirm beforehand that elite nights will definitely be credited for holding an event (via email, for instance). Then chasing it up is going to be more straightforward.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ennsy
So you just said "I only care about the nights, how much for a meeting?" How receptive were they to this?
I said something like that. (I booked a meeting or two online, a sales rep got in touch, and I told him what I was doing. He said that since I wasn't going to show up, he could book meetings for me even cheaper. I shared the info here with anyone who asked, but his management soon told him to stop.)
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I said something like that ... I shared the info here with anyone who asked, but his management soon told him to stop.)
See, when mistake fares get posted, we tend to say

"Don't call the airline...."

This is getting pretty close to getting waaaaay too much attention!
Ceres likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Yeah. Someone is going to screw this up for everyone. Just like the airline points bloggers cost us so many benefits because they bragged about loopholes.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yeah. Someone is going to screw this up for everyone. Just like the airline points bloggers cost us so many benefits because they bragged about loopholes.
People have been saying that for all the years this thread has been going. The people taking advantage of this are such a spec of sand it doesn't matter.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:49 am

Thanks for the replies. Today was the last day in the waiting window so I emailed them about it not posting. Within 20 minutes they posted to my account and they apologized. Looks like I was waiting for nothing.

I am now Plat! Thanks FT. It cost me 55$+9$tax for 1 hour no show meeting which was I needed.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: National, Marriott, IHG, Delta, AA
Meeting reward night fillers to retain Platinum status

Hi,
My travel went down this year and I am short of 20 nights to maintain my Platinum status. Can anyone recommend any cheaper hotels to book meeting rooms for the reward nights in GA state or anywhere in US? I tried a few hotels near my location, but they are very expensive, even for a few hours of booking. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.