Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
I'd be down for a block if you can get them to do that.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:58 pm

Everyone was getting back to me with full day quotes and giving the "we don't sell by the hour because most events are full-day and then we can't sell for the rest of the day".

After a lot of difficulty I got an offer for $75 for 1 hour. I counter offered at 55 and they accepted. Is this a decent deal?

Beats the $250 which is my next lowest offer...
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
$55 (w/ or w/o tax) for 10 nights = $5.5/night. Very few mattress runs come close.

Compared to the Quick Book price (where the property advertises a meeting price on Marriott), it's also decent. $75 seems to be pretty much be the low end for a half day or less meeting.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Everyone was getting back to me with full day quotes and giving the "we don't sell by the hour because most events are full-day and then we can't sell for the rest of the day".

After a lot of difficulty I got an offer for $75 for 1 hour. I counter offered at 55 and they accepted. Is this a decent deal?

Beats the $250 which is my next lowest offer...
If you have read much of the thread you'd know if $55 is a decent deal or not. I am assuming you know it's on the lower side and want us to commend you on your savvy dealmaking!? For me, I don't have time to negotiate over $20. I have booked these rooms with a couple emails, I ignore their phone calls, and get my 10 nights a few days after not showing up for the meeting. I like simplicity. I'd rather just pay the $75 but we are all different.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
If you have read much of the thread you'd know if $55 is a decent deal or not. I am assuming you know it's on the lower side and want us to commend you on your savvy dealmaking!? For me, I don't have time to negotiate over $20. I have booked these rooms with a couple emails, I ignore their phone calls, and get my 10 nights a few days after not showing up for the meeting. I like simplicity. I'd rather just pay the $75 but we are all different.
I appreciate your comments and sarcasm re. my "savvy dealmaking" except I literally sent a 3 line reply to their initial offer from my phone while at the office.

I was asking because she replied instantly to it, so I can only guess she would have gone lower had I pushed. But I agree, easier to get it done and done.

I had 50 nights on mattress + 15 night credit from my CC for 2017, so this 10 night credit will put me to plat for the first time. Excited!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
If there's anyone in NE Ohio, I found a place with $50 + tax (so $59) 1.5 hour meetings. The caveat is that you have to show up... Send me a PM if interested.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I finally emailed the event coordinator at the Courtyard property two days ago and urged her to post my event that had taken place two weeks ago to the Group Posting Tool. It took another email reminder for her to finally post my event this morning. This afternoon, I received an email confirmation. I just checked my mobile app and the nights have been posted. However,

1. The points posted show "cancelled" under the number of points. Is it normal?
2. I then logged onto the Marriott website but the nights or points are not showing up there. Is there a lag between the mobile app and the website?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by naumank
I finally emailed the event coordinator at the Courtyard property two days ago and urged her to post my event that had taken place two weeks ago to the Group Posting Tool. It took another email reminder for her to finally post my event this morning. This afternoon, I received an email confirmation. I just checked my mobile app and the nights have been posted. However,

1. The points posted show "cancelled" under the number of points. Is it normal?
2. I then logged onto the Marriott website but the nights or points are not showing up there. Is there a lag between the mobile app and the website?
I'm not sure about the lag, but the canceled in the app activity is normal. On the website it'll show as an event, on the app it shows as "*Rewards canceled", which seems to be the Rewards redemption/transfer out category. So being canceled (double negative), it's actually a credit I guess.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'm not sure about the lag, but the canceled in the app activity is normal. On the website it'll show as an event, on the app it shows as "*Rewards canceled", which seems to be the Rewards redemption/transfer out category. So being canceled (double negative), it's actually a credit I guess.
It took several hours before the 10 nights showed up on marriott.com so there's a lag. But I'm glad that now I just prequalified for Platinum for 2018.

Also, the moral of my experience is that we need to follow up with the property diligently in order for the posting of the nights. In my case, the event coordinator apparently didn't do anything to post my event to the Group Posting Tool until my second inquiry.

Last edited by naumank; Nov 10, 2017 at 1:25 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by naumank
It took several hours before the 10 nights showed up on marriott.com so there's a lag. But I'm glad that now I just prequalified for Platinum for 2018.

Also, the moral of my experience is that we need to follow up with the property diligently in order for the posting of the nights. In my case, the event coordinator apparently didn't do anything to post my event to the Group Posting Tool until my second inquiry.
That may be the case. However, I've read reports of some properties only allowing one person to use the posting tool and if they are away from the property, everything waits.

Just like those that relentlessly click on a button, the system will take as long as it needs to accomplish the task. It's not the 25th click that caused it to fly.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I have had legit events costing $25,000 with 15 participants that show as "canceled" on the Marriott mobile application, but nobody at Marriott can tell me what that means. In my experience, it takes about 2-3 weeks for the nights to post.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I would like some advice. What do you say to the sales people when trying to book multiple meetings?

What I am finding is that there are sales offices for groups of hotels. I guess the franchise owners own multiple properties and coordinate out of the same sales office for all of them.

So I am interested to know, in order to get these $50 rates at 5 am without having to show up, are you just telling the salesperson that you are scheduling the meetings for the 10 night credit? If so, are they usually okay with that and helpful in setting it up?

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jeanie
I would like some advice. What do you say to the sales people when trying to book multiple meetings?

What I am finding is that there are sales offices for groups of hotels. I guess the franchise owners own multiple properties and coordinate out of the same sales office for all of them.

So I am interested to know, in order to get these $50 rates at 5 am without having to show up, are you just telling the salesperson that you are scheduling the meetings for the 10 night credit? If so, are they usually okay with that and helpful in setting it up?

Thank you.
no I never tell them that. I've done a few meeting over the last few months at the same property. I show up, I pay too much but it's worth it to me.

But they look at me a little sideways to begin with when I go in for an hour do some work on my laptop and leave...

btw... sometimes it takes weeks to post ..
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Wow one of the two courtyards locally I rotated my meetings through just raised the online quote rate from 150 for a full day ($75) to $600. Hope it is a holiday time rate and not going to stick. One of the few properties in a three hour radius that don't require requesting a quote to book. It seems like when I request a quote for a one hour meeting they always come back with a high fee.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Ceres
no I never tell them that. I've done a few meeting over the last few months at the same property. I show up, I pay too much but it's worth it to me.

But they look at me a little sideways to begin with when I go in for an hour do some work on my laptop and leave...

btw... sometimes it takes weeks to post ..
Thanks for the response. I appreciate the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.