Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by leeky
...now the shout and tout is about those sham $50 meetings in order to get 10 nights and easily qualify for G/P without even having to log in one bed night, but all it would take is for Corporate to qualify legitimate Reward Meetings with a minimum of say $250/per to put an end to this sham (and as to the allegation that whatever the hotel is charging is pure profit, wrong, as the properties actually pay for nights, just like they do for points), so please, PLEASE, keep on shouting and touting so this flaw is closed sooner than later.
EQNs for meetings are not a sham. By design, no rooms (paid nights) are needed. They are issuing elite nights to reward profitable revenue. Simple as that. The other "shams" you cited were stopped because they were doing fiscal harm.

You're suggesting that revenue obtained from meetings (especially those where no housekeeping or other labor is necessary) is not extremely high margin? Of course it's not "pure profit" in the truest sense, but it's pretty darn close.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
MR has had many opportunities to close the loophole and chosen not to.
That's because it's not a loophole. They are rewarding the activity purposefully and abuse isn't even possible. If giving away status in exchange for high-margin revenue was a bad idea, wouldn't they first cut the status-buyback program? Again, we see this across many hotels and airlines... credit card and other high-margin revenue is rewarded with status, and that status can only be utilize when it generates more revenue.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: low and not enough
Just found this thread today, so I'm curious…
T/C on the Marriott page say "10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night"
(http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi)

Have things changed or does this not really apply in practice?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by snowfilmer
T/C on the Marriott page say "10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night"

If you read up-thread, there are actually two different programs, one for meeting planners that book guest rooms and a different one for meeting planners that book conference rooms. It seems MR has been weeding out the pages that speak to the conference room perk, but it still exists.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by snowfilmer

There are two different programs.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by mooper
EQNs for meetings are not a sham. By design, no rooms (paid nights) are needed. They are issuing elite nights to reward profitable revenue. Simple as that. The other "shams" you cited were stopped because they were doing fiscal harm.

You're suggesting that revenue obtained from meetings (especially those where no housekeeping or other labor is necessary) is not extremely high margin? Of course it's not "pure profit" in the truest sense, but it's pretty darn close.

That's because it's not a loophole. They are rewarding the activity purposefully and abuse isn't even possible. If giving away status in exchange for high-margin revenue was a bad idea, wouldn't they first cut the status-buyback program? Again, we see this across many hotels and airlines... credit card and other high-margin revenue is rewarded with status, and that status can only be utilize when it generates more revenue.
^ The purpose of all hotel loyalty programs is to get members to spend additional money at their properties that would either not be spent at hotels or would go to a competitor.

The program deepens the ties between a member and Marriott. Anyone hosting meetings solely for the EQNs is likely spending most of his/her annual hotel nights at Marriott.

This program, combined with the credit card's 15 annual nights makes it much easier to reach Gold/Plat annually. I see this as a much more useful tool for annual status but not for LT status. Back when LT Plat required 1000 LT nights, there were some that crossed the 2M point threshold before hitting 1000 LT nights. But now with the lowered LT Plat requirement of 750 nights along with the rollover night program being permanent, it would truly be rare if someone hit 2M LT points before 750 LT nights. So in effect, the change in the LT requirements + permanent rollover nights have made this a less useful tool than it was introduced.

If one's concerned about LT status, they would be better off doing manufactured spend for EQNs so that they get more LT points. In my case, I had plenty of LT nights (~1100) but needed to do ~40K manufactured spend to get the LT points for LT Plat.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: low and not enough
@RogerD408 & @sethb - thanks for clarifying that for me. Sorry for re-asking something that may have been obvious and stated earlier, but this thread is 72 pages long - I must have missed it in there
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
^ The purpose of all hotel loyalty programs is to get members to spend additional money at their properties that would either not be spent at hotels or would go to a competitor.

The program deepens the ties between a member and Marriott. Anyone hosting meetings solely for the EQNs is likely spending most of his/her annual hotel nights at Marriott.
I've hosted meetings solely for EQNs and I don't spend most of my hotel nights at Marriotts. However, being Platinum does make me more likely to stay at Marriotts, and that's additional revenue for Marriott. And I'm probably the worst case example for this; others are likely to drive even more revenue as a result of this program.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Once upon a time, resorts provided breakfast to G/Ps until so many posters shouted and touted that Marriott Corp put a quick end to this extra benefit.

Once upon a time, posters would shout and tout how they were taking the whole family to breakfast in the lounge until Marriott Corp tweeked that ability and specifically limited it to 1+1.
Interesting theory and could be somewhat a factor but I think it's more along the lines of Marriott giving away status so freely and general cost cutting since 2008...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

the entire thrust of this thread is to get 8 meetings per year and qualify/re-qualify for P status WITHOUT ever spending one night and no $$$$ at any Marriott besides the cost of the meetings.

Anyone hosting meetings solely for the EQNs is likely spending most of his/her annual hotel nights at Marriott.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:09 pm

Why are we still debating all this? Loose lips sink ships!

Please, everyone, keep posting something stupid in this thread and have it keep getting pushed to the top so more people can see it, yap on and on about it and then Marriott shut it down.

Geezzzz...All information that is needed to get qualifying nights is listed in this entire thread. There is no need for POINTLESS responses on this thread.

Take the info use it, don't, but please, stop posting to this thread so it will stop getting pushed to the top.

the entire thrust of this thread is to get 8 meetings per year and qualify/re-qualify for P status WITHOUT ever spending one night and no $$$$ at any Marriott besides the cost of the meetings.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
If you don't stay at Marriott, why would you want to be a MR Plat? That's a waste of money.

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Why are we still debating all this? Loose lips sink ships!

Please, everyone, keep posting something stupid in this thread and have it keep getting pushed to the top so more people can see it, yap on and on about it and then Marriott shut it down.

Geezzzz...All information that is needed to get qualifying nights is listed in this entire thread. There is no need for POINTLESS responses on this thread.

Take the info use it, don't, but please, stop posting to this thread so it will stop getting pushed to the top.
This has been discussed quite a few times since this thread started in 2010. Marriott management's been well aware of the ability to get fast EQNs this way for a very long time.

You're fairly new to FT and I'm going to guess new to top status shortcuts. This particular status shortcut is not a secret.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:58 pm

I don't measure success by how "new" someone is or how many posts numbers they have out beside their screen name.

Then again, over 10,000 requests went in for the Hyatt Diamond status match. So, shall we continue to push this to the top of the thread so the bloggers can get a hold of it? Maybe we can get a good arrow and circle blog post for how easy this is to do??

This has been discussed quite a few times since this thread started in 2010. Marriott management's been well aware of the ability to get fast EQNs this way for a very long time.

You're fairly new to FT and I'm going to guess new to top status shortcuts. This particular status shortcut is not a secret.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So? Marriott welcome that because (1) anybody who does that and never stays at a Marriott costs them only a plastic card, which is a pretty good deal for Marriott, and (2) anybody who does that and stays at Marriotts more often because of their status (and perks) is driving more revenue towards Marriott.

And the thrust of the thread isn't to get Platinum without staying, it's to get Platinum with less staying than nominally required. 6 meetings + credit card (15 nights) will also get Platinum at even lower cost, and if you sometimes stay at Marriotts you can probably get by with even fewer meetings.

The title is the extreme case. I bet there are precisely zero people in this thread interested in doing that.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:53 pm
Suspended

let's see -

*United Airlines - silver status without needing the qualifying miles
*other hotels, especially over at Hyatt - status matches

but in the long run, since I already have LTP I don't waste my $$$$$ as I don't participate in purchasing sham meetings

If you don't stay at Marriott, why would you want to be a MR Plat? That's a waste of money.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's see -

*United Airlines - silver status without needing the qualifying miles
*other hotels, especially over at Hyatt - status matches

but in the long run, since I already have LTP I don't waste my $$$$$ as I don't participate in purchasing sham meetings
Since you're already LTP you don't gain anything from meetings (it seems you don't get PP from meeting nights).

And nobody participates in sham meetings, that's what "sham" means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.