Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stc
The number one thing that is missing from the Marriott program IMO that both Starwood and Hilton offer is free breakfast. It really annoys me every time I forget and stay at a Courtyard property and find I've been nickled and dimed (or tened and twentied) to death and have to pay for breakfast. Also the BS about full service hotels that don't have a Club Lounge on Weekends and offer you a miserly 500 points.
Marriott offers free breakfasts, at least to Platinum.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can we get back on topic. There are other threads devoted to Marriott/SPG.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

+1, but certain posters have their own agendas

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Can we get back on topic. There are other threads devoted to Marriott/SPG.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:44 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
Marriott offers free breakfasts, at least to Platinum.
Not at Courtyards and not at certain hotels on weekends.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stc
Not at Courtyards and not at certain hotels on weekends.

Can we get back on topic. There are other threads devoted to Marriott/SPG

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by stc
Except you can't get lifetime status on Marriott just via this program and meetings.
Correct, but these meetings allow you to meet the nights component cheaply (especially if you do it in a couple-years blitz and take advantage of the EQNs rolling over and counting twice). For points, you can use the CC signup and spending bonuses (esp w/ manufacturer spending), purchase 50K points/year, and leverage megabonus and other point offers to get yourself in the mix rapidly.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mooper
Correct, but these meetings allow you to meet the nights component cheaply (especially if you do it in a couple-years blitz and take advantage of the EQNs rolling over and counting twice). For points, you can use the CC signup and spending bonuses (esp w/ manufacturer spending), purchase 50K points/year, and leverage megabonus and other point offers to get yourself in the mix rapidly.
When I found cheap meetings, I booked enough for 2 years of Platinum (since rollover is limited to one year). I'll be at 625 lifetime nights at the start of next year, but points are still just over Lifetime Silver. Now if I can find a way to spend OPM on my Marriott card . . .
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Now if I can find a way to spend OPM on my Marriott card . . .
Manufactured Spending (subforum). You can load $5K/mo in gift cards on a Bluebird card that you can then use to pay off your credit card. A $500 simon mall visa gift card will cost you $3.95 so your cost per 1000 MR points is ~$7.90. Not a money making proposition but it gets you another 60K MR points/yr.

There are other manufactured spend techniques but I consider that to be the easiest.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:18 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
When I found cheap meetings, I booked enough for 2 years of Platinum (since rollover is limited to one year). I'll be at 625 lifetime nights at the start of next year, but points are still just over Lifetime Silver. Now if I can find a way to spend OPM on my Marriott card . . .
Seems risky. Did you take into account your paid stays next year like MAC2? Or I guess those would roll over to the next year (2017), so they wouldn't be lost. You are essentially fronting Marriott money years in advance of when you are going to get any benefit from it.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
Seems risky. Did you take into account your paid stays next year like MAC2? Or I guess those would roll over to the next year (2017), so they wouldn't be lost. You are essentially fronting Marriott money years in advance of when you are going to get any benefit from it.
What risk? If I booked one extra meeting it cost me $50 (and still yielded 20 lifetime room nights). I have too many nights this year; enough roll over next year that I get Platinum early, so basically I bought 2 years of Platinum (plus a few months). I nothing changes, I do the same again early in 2018 and earn Platinum for the rest of 2018, and all of 2019 and 2020. (At that point I have more than enough nights for LP, so it depends on how well I can finagle points.)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:41 pm
Suspended

will work out for now unless they close that loophole (and Marriott tends to do those kind of things when posters shout out how they're screwin' the system)
and require bookings of mtg room + 10-rooms to qualify for the 10 nights vrs just rent room so to you and others, keep on touting the way to beat the system so MR will sooner then later preclude it.

What risk? If I booked one extra meeting it cost me $50 (and still yielded 20 lifetime room nights). I have too many nights this year; enough roll over next year that I get Platinum early, so basically I bought 2 years of Platinum (plus a few months). I nothing changes, I do the same again early in 2018 and earn Platinum for the rest of 2018, and all of 2019 and 2020. (At that point I have more than enough nights for LP, so it depends on how well I can finagle points.)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:51 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by leeky
will work out for now unless they close that loophole (and Marriott tends to do those kind of things when posters shout out how they're screwin' the system)
and require bookings of mtg room + 10-rooms to qualify for the 10 nights vrs just rent room so to you and others, keep on touting the way to beat the system so MR will sooner then later preclude it.
For sure!! I saw this happen over and over again on things posted on timeshare boards. "Loose lips sink ships" is VERY true.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
will work out for now unless they close that loophole.
It's not a loophole.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Loophole or marketing program? MR built the process to encourage more business for their meeting rooms. People are booking meeting rooms. Granted they may have been hoping for more F&B revenue as a result of having more people in the properties, but I doubt they want to start counting the number of people attending meetings.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:25 am
Suspended

your referring to F&B revenue from the sham meetings?!

Originally Posted by RogerD408
People are booking meeting rooms. Granted they may have been hoping for more F&B revenue as a result of having more people in the properties, but I doubt they want to start counting the number of people attending meetings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.