Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:53 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by mooper
No need to talk to them about showing up or not - they rarely would know or care. They'll just assume you came and went unless you suggest otherwise. It's not like they want to monitor you. Just agree to a price, get and sign the contract, and be sure they use the posting tool to post your points within a business day or two. That posting triggers the 10 EQNs to show up immediately.

Then bother for the next 3 weeks when the posting inevitably doesn't show up or work. The event manager will get confused between posting in your Marriott account and posting on your credit card and insist that you were definitely billed, sending you the same invoice 5 times. Then you will file with Marriott.com as a missing stay, which the Marriott.com folks will not be able to resolve, but will at least call the hotel to try to fix. After 4-6 weeks you will have your 10 EQN.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by NDN
Then bother for the next 3 weeks when the posting inevitably doesn't show up or work. The event manager will get confused between posting in your Marriott account and posting on your credit card and insist that you were definitely billed, sending you the same invoice 5 times. Then you will file with Marriott.com as a missing stay, which the Marriott.com folks will not be able to resolve, but will at least call the hotel to try to fix. After 4-6 weeks you will have your 10 EQN.
It can happen that way, but to avoid, find a property where the manager confirms they are familiar with the posting tool and will use it promptly after your meeting date. If you send a quote request as detailed up thread, you should have a few properties respond that you can write to and pick one with the best price and understanding. If you get a bad lot the first time, try again using a different city. A few minutes of your time at most.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:29 am

Not the best place to post this but now that I have received platinum in Mariott, anybody know how long that takes to transfer over to SPG? My accounts were already linked all year however it is still showing as Gold status. My stay is coming up January 4th and I'm hoping it shows in time. I called SPG and they said there is nothing they can do to expedite the process.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tush17
Not the best place to post this but now that I have received platinum in Mariott, anybody know how long that takes to transfer over to SPG? My accounts were already linked all year however it is still showing as Gold status. My stay is coming up January 4th and I'm hoping it shows in time. I called SPG and they said there is nothing they can do to expedite the process.
Took about 36 hours for my SPG account to update after I hit Platinum with Marriott.
tush17 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by noob23
Sorry if I missed this, but is there any easier way to look up the pricing aside the website?
Looks like just about every property has a 'request quote' button, and the ones they don't are ~400+
If anyone has a lead a property in the greater Los Angeles area that would be ~$100ish please pm me. Thanks.
I would also like to know if anyone has a lead in the Los Angeles area for meetings in the $100.00 range.

I need 28 more nights to stay platinum.

You can PM if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I have had MR Gold status for a few years but never had Platinum. Reviewing my account I realize I am sitting at 64. One Rewarding Event meeting and one night stay puts me at Platinum which I would love to have for the first time. I have requested quotes from several properties but none have responded so far and I will be traveling with family for rest of the year so I see no way to book & show up at any property close by before end of year. If anyone is willing to share privately a property you have utilized for quick posting and no show up I would be very appreciative. I will not overuse or abuse. Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
I would also like to know if anyone has a lead in the Los Angeles area for meetings in the $100.00 range.

I need 28 more nights to stay platinum.

You can PM if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.
No need to show, so no need to limit to LA area unless you have an actual need for the meetings beyond status achievement. Try some searches around airports, reply to a few qualifying properties with the lowest automatically published rates (usually around $200). Explain your simple needs, ask for a $50 30 min mtg on flexible time/date with no amenities needed - just a room to pop into. If no one bites, try another round. In a couple of days you should be set. Be sure they send contract, you sign and pay, and that they use posting tool by the day after to reward your points (which will trigger the nights). Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I need 10 nights to get over the line to platinum this year.

I booked a meeting room at a property I was staying at, and forgot to show up. The events team said they couldn't post it (despite having filled in a CC authorisation form, and me asking them to post it anyway), as they could only post 'actualised' events. This was a first for me.

I had to return to the property a couple of days later and show up to the meeting.

Adding this story for interest - obviously some properties are sticklers!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:04 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by Flapster
I need 10 nights to get over the line to platinum this year.

I booked a meeting room at a property I was staying at, and forgot to show up. The events team said they couldn't post it (despite having filled in a CC authorisation form, and me asking them to post it anyway), as they could only post 'actualised' events. This was a first for me.

I had to return to the property a couple of days later and show up to the meeting.

Adding this story for interest - obviously some properties are sticklers!
Did they charge your credit card?? If they did, it seems as though they should post it. Check pending on your credit card bill.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:12 pm

Do all Marriott brands(CY, JW, Marriott, Edition, Gaylord, SHS, RC, etc.) give 10 EQN per event?

Last edited by rickastleyjr; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:14 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rickastleyjr
Do all Marriott brands(CY, JW, Marriott, Edition, Gaylord, SHS, RC, etc.) give 10 EQN per event?
They should if they offer meeting/conference rooms and the program states "participating properties" but doesn't provide a list. However, some don't know about the program or they get it confused with the meeting planner program that deals with guest rooms. And then there are some that don't know about the proper posting tool so you get the credit due. Your best bet is to make contact with the desired property and see if they know what you want and can do it. If you're not comfortable with their responses move on to the next place.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by rickastleyjr
Nope: https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...events-faqs.mi

Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Executive Apartments and Protea Hotels do not participate.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Nope: https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...events-faqs.mi

Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Executive Apartments and Protea Hotels do not participate.
And bolded in the wiki at the top of this thread. @:-)
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Tomorrow is December 28. Realistically, how many meetings could we still successfully have this year?

Do the nights need to post before the end of the year or only have a meeting date before the end of the year? Couldn't find any relevant data points from last December.

I'm 2 nights short for Gold... and if I'm going to book 1 meeting, I might as well book 3 and get Platinum... but I've never needed to book any in the past so I'm starting from scratch and would need to find an understanding property very quickly.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Mine usually take a while longer to post than most here. As long as a couple weeks. I did one at a new location for me last week, while traveling. It still hasn't posted and when I emailed her she said it would take at least a couple weeks. I've never had one post as quick as many here so I might not be a good judge, but I have to assume they will credit, just like nights, do in the proper calendar year.

Last edited by Ceres; Dec 28, 2017 at 4:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.