Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Tiny detail, I just wish they could bring back the Japanese rice crackers instead of peanuts (or as alternative option) with the evening cocktails in the Living Room.
Not a fan of the banana chips?

-David
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
We could do with Japanese crackers instead of those weird lemongrass nuts in BarSu too
Football Fan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Not a fan of the banana chips?

-David
They are good, actually. The lemongrass peanuts are useless, though .
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:14 am

During this stay, have not been to Rossini's once yet for breakfast ...

Was it mentioned upthread that cocktails now start at 4pm? I'm told that after Jan 1, the first 2 hours, 4pm - 6pm will be in Bar Su.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:01 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:04 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Had a flawless stay here mid December again.
Staff never fails to impress.
Well done Mr Chapman !
Football Fan and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by UASPG
I don't know if the rumors of Mr. Chapman's retirement - sometime next year - are true,
What is the source of the rumor? Any reason to think it is true?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Having spoken to him directly on the subject, there is no truth to it.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
This is my 15th stay at this property - sadly, it may well be my last.

The revenue management seems to be playing games here nowadays, unfortunately.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:02 am

Like what?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The revenue management seems to be playing games here nowadays, unfortunately.
Details? I had a 19 night stay in November and didn't notice any changes.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by decentmove
Like what?
Bit of a longer story.

We just stayed here for a few nights a couple of weeks ago, on the way to the Maldives. That previous stay was enjoyable, as usual (although we kind of got banned in a very nice way from the Living Room after the first day...we were kindly asked to sit in The Library on the following days during the Jazz session - our daughter was very noisy and did run around a lot on the first day. But I totally understand that, and the ladies could not have been nicer about it and to our daughter.)

On the way back from the Maldives, staying here again for a night, before going back to Europe.

Our flight to Europe tomorrow is just before midnight, we arrived tonight (I had pre-booked roundtrip limo transfer through the hotel). I had originally reserved a suite for one night (to make sure we get one - am traveling with my pregnant wife and our 2 1/2 year old daughter, with jet lag and all, wanted to have a separate room so I could do some work (or post on Flyertalk ) if I couldn't sleep). Am SPG/Marriott Lifetime Plat, but on the previous stay two weeks ago, I did pay for a suite instead of speculating on an upgrade, for the same reasons as described before. (We did not get an upgrade from the suite I paid for.)

I explained the situation with the later flight and was told via e-mail that to be able to stay past the guaranteed checkout time, I would have to book a second night. Considering that we are talking about 3-4 hours here, this didn't reflect past treatment in this hotel (or most hotels I stayed at in Asia). But fine, I didn't say anything; however, I thought it would be unreasonable to pay suite prices for two nights to have a room for a few more hours, so I changed the booking to 2 nights and a regular room. At the time, a few days ago, there were Luxury and Grand suites available. I did write that I would be thankful for an upgrade, as we are 3 people, etc.

When we arrived, we got a pretty small room (not sure what the exact category is).

I did go back down and politely asked if there is a possibility to be moved to a suite type room. The first receptionist told me there are none available, but she would "monitor the situation and let me know tomorrow". I said we are only staying for one night...at which point in time the receptionist who originally checked me in said she would look, and then another lady who appeared to be more senior took over.

I did indicate that I was willing to pay the price difference. I was then shown a luxury suite, which however was a smoking room and therefore not an option for us (especially considering my wife is pregnant).

When I said we could not take this room, the lady from the reception didn't offer any other alternative.

I then went onto the app and saw that a "Governor Suite" was indeed bookable. I went back down, asked for the front office manager on duty and said I would like to move to that room and pay the price difference. This lady (not the same as before) then said that this suite is not available and that it being shown as available is "a system error".

However, she then suddenly "found" a free non-smoking luxury suite she would upgrade us to and also said we only need to pay for one night and would get a late checkout at 8 p.m. She said they "did not want to sell this suite". I don't understand how that is an acceptable explanation.

So the end result is what, to be honest, I think it should have been from the beginning.

Basically, they had at least this one non-smoking standard suite available, to which they should have upgraded us, if they had proceeded "by the book" (and more so considering the circumstances that I was paying for two nights as I was told I would have to, although the stay is less than 24 hours, I am a returning guest, had explained the situation with the 3 people including pregnant wife and toddler, etc.). But they decided to pretend they didn't have it available, and to stick us in a small room. Only when I said I wanted to pay to get into the Governor Suite that showed as available in the app, but only for 1 night and we would check out at 4 p.m., suddenly this room was made available.

To be honest, I would have been less annoyed if I had just ended up paying for the Governor Suite.

The fact that they suddenly "found" the free standard suite - although the outcome is ok - makes me feel like they lied to my face before.

I still like this hotel, it's generally very well-run, but there are a lot of alternatives in Bangkok to explore. I'll try the Park Hyatt next time. The Okura also looks good. Also, there is now a Hyatt Regency just down the road.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jan 1, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bit of a longer story.
IME, the front desk is the weakest part of the operation. While the more experienced front desk staff are very good, there seems to be a fair bit of turnover and inexperienced front desk staff, and if you get one of the new ones (which I seem to do about 75% of the time) it can be a disappointing experience.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:34 am

My friend from Maui staying here independently of us, got moved into the Governor's suite yesterday .. they had several problems here over their stay in a paid corner suite. I wonder if you got their room? They were prepared to check out and leave early due to the issues they had. (smoke smell in the room was the main issue, never resolved over 4 nights. They brought in one of those machines, and it ended up leaking all over the floor and they never got rid of the smoke odor. So that could be the reason for keeping that one vacant if you got that room or maybe that was the first room they offered? It wasn't supposed to be a smoking room.)

So it's true, the Governor's suite really wasn't available yesterday (and today, and so on for the next several days.)

I think I saw you yesterday being whisked over to the library during cocktail hour. There was another family with 2 little kids already running around in the living room a bit.

BTW, the hotel manager position, formerly Rubel Miah, is now vacant. I was told he moved to W Shanghai, but his linked in page shows he is GM at an Aloft in KL.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 2, 2019 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Hi David, that wasn't us - we arrived after cocktail hour yesterday.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

... I was then shown a luxury suite, which however was a smoking room and therefore not an option for us (especially considering my wife is pregnant).
I find this strange - Other than the regular suites on smoking floors, I thought all other suites were non-smoking. All the luxury suites on the 10th floor are
non-smoking indoors, with smoking only permitted on the outdoor patios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.