Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:52 am

check out the diagram on the rez page

http://www.royalhawaiianbeachservice...-reservations/
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I see it as an incentive to visit some of the other beautiful beaches on Oahu.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cawhite
I see it as an incentive to visit some of the other beautiful beaches on Oahu.
And I have now taken it as a signal to cancel my reservation and book the Sheraton Waikiki next door for our upcoming stay next week. When I started looking for hotels last November, I looked up Honolulu on spg.com and found my choices were "Sheraton, Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection." Seemed like an easy choice as we like LC properties and have yet to find one that has disappointed us. For months I didn't think about this reservation because it's an LC, what could go wrong? But now this beach discussion really got me thinking about this upcoming stay. If it hadn't been posted on FT, I wouldn't have even known. Lots of the Sheraton Waikiki reviews state "Loved the adults-only pool." I think the pool is something we will enjoy as well. While there, I'll walk over to the Royal Hawaiian and see what it's all about, but as of now, we'll save it for another trip.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sent
And I have now taken it as a signal to cancel my reservation and book the Sheraton Waikiki next door for our upcoming stay next week.
Just remember there are pro's and con's for each resort so you need to work out what's best for you. The SW might have that infinity pool which is great but it can be packed too, also the hotel is very big and can get extremely busy around the pool and common areas. The RH on the other hand, can feel very tranquil and has a 'user pays $40' beachfront area though.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Has anyone stayed here since the new SPG perks went into effect? In particular, I'm wondering how they are handling the breakfast amenity for Plats. Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
The idea of spending $450 night plus resort fee AND $40 day really makes me consider staying someplace else
Yeah, this sucks. This was my #1 go to place in Oahu. As a matter of principle, I won't stay here again until the fee is reversed.

For the most part, I am a firm believer that the purchase of a beach front hotel room should include a beach chair. So, let me get this straight. There is a resort fee AND a charge for a beach chair? LOL

What is the cost of the resort fee and the beach chair fee?

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just remember there are pro's and con's for each resort so you need to work out what's best for you. The SW might have that infinity pool which is great but it can be packed too, also the hotel is very big and can get extremely busy around the pool and common areas. The RH on the other hand, can feel very tranquil and has a 'user pays $40' beachfront area though.
That's the problem. I've never been so I have no idea what will be best for us until I see the places and then make a decision. I'm always cautious and prefer to book a cheaper place, check the area out, and try something fancier next time. My husband, on the other hand, has already started the "Sheraton sucks" sulking around the apartment even though he's never been to Hawaii either.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Yeah, this sucks. This was my #1 go to place in Oahu. As a matter of principle, I won't stay here again until the fee is reversed.

For the most part, I am a firm believer that the purchase of a beach front hotel room should include a beach chair. So, let me get this straight. There is a resort fee AND a charge for a beach chair? LOL

What is the cost of the resort fee and the beach chair fee?
The resort charge is $26.18 per room per night. The beachfront chairs and umbrella is $40 for 2 people per day. You can do the pool chairs for free.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Decided to check out Waikiki today and stopped by the Royal Hawaiian.

The good news. The Waikiki beach repleshinment project is done - and the beach is much more wider than before. It is a big difference. More room to put down your towel. Good surf today.

The bad news. Yep, the beachfront chairs are reserved and you must pay for them. They changed a sign at the Mai Tai bar where you go to the beach and noted all chairs are reservation only. It was overcast today - so it might not be a good sample day - but, so far it looks like an epic fail. Maybe 25% of the chairs were reserved, perhaps less. Looks like they've added even more chairs but at $40 for 2 chairs per day, it looks like people are passing on that option with the resort fee and an average room rate of $400 night. The bartenders at the Mai Tai bar aren't happy since the chairs are empty and the pool is on the other side of the property where chairs are free.

Besides your own personal chair and towel -I don't think there are anymore free beachfront chair hotel options.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
The bartenders at the Mai Tai bar aren't happy since the chairs are empty and the pool is on the other side of the property where chairs are free.
That's an interesting point that I never thought about. When we stayed at the RH and used those free beach chairs, we used to head to the bar every so often and buy drinks and food ie spend money and leave tips for the staff. Now that I won't stay at the RH for this 'pay $40' beach chair reservation I guess its tough for the bar staff there who now miss out on some extra tipping money, maybe its too early to judge but FWIW we easily spent more than the $40 they now want to charge for chairs.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
It would be better if they change the policy to a minimum charge of 40 USD at the bar or food.

I have always enjoyed staying by the pool or by the beach at different resorts and always ordered food and drinks.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:25 pm

Well look what I found while digging around on budget.com:

http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/imag...ahuCoupons.pdf

A coupon, valued at $40, for a free 1 hour umbrella set rental at The Royal Hawaiian with your Budget car reservation! You don't even have to stay there. Did the hotel always use "Waikiki Beach Services" to maintain the beach chairs, or is this a newly outsourced service and thus the new fee?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Well look what I found
Superb sleuthing.

Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Superb sleuthing.

Not sure about why the rolleyes. I was surprised that after all the discussion here about the beach chairs, there would be a coupon offsetting the very fee we've been lamenting about.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Not sure about why the rolleyes. I was surprised that after all the discussion here about the beach chairs, there would be a coupon offsetting the very fee we've been lamenting about.
The rolleyes wasn't for you. Why would I rolleyes you right after giving you a compliment?

The rolleyes was for the fact that the property is now selling an amenity that used to be for the sole (complimentary) use of hotel guests.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Apr 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.